P1000 P1k and talon ecu swap

Z

Zmorris83

I keep leaning toward buying a Talon ECU already installed in a Talon.
I did that. I have both. My P1K5 has 5000 miles on it and my Talon has 400 miles (the dealership put 170 of those miles on it the last time it was there for warranty work.)

I definitely prefer the P1K5 for almost all riding.

Reactions: TripleB
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I did that. I have both. My P1K5 has 5000 miles on it and my Talon has 400 miles (the dealership put 170 of those miles on it the last time it was there for warranty work.)

I definitely prefer the P1K5 for almost all riding.
Why did they need to put that kinda mileage on it?

Z

Zmorris83

Ya I am sure with a little data I can build a map for it. I have not seen the cam out of a P1K, but I have compared the AT and Talon and the AT is definitely smaller.

Nate
Alba Racing
The AT cam isn't "definitely smaller" from a cam design perspective. The intake close timing is 1 degree different. That's a negligible difference especially when both cams will act extremely similar at low RPM. That is the area that everyone is having difficulty with.

Reactions: GPR1500SC
Z

Zmorris83

I wouldnt mind test the reflash but the issue is I've messaged a few different people or sellers or whatever they are about warranty on the pioneer if the dealer refreshes back to stock if I would just be screwed out of a tune but none has messaged me back and that's been over a month ago so I'm not gonna trust someone that wont answer a simple question
IF I flash your ECM I keep a OEM file and the new tune backed up on 2 different hard drives and a cloud storage service. The only thing you'd lose is shipping costs to send it back to me. Dealership reflash to stock is definitely a concern. It happens to my customers frequently, especially Semi truck customers.

I don't support Talon/Pioneer YET. When I do, it won't be some ghetto fuel/timing only nonsense.

aauman88

aauman88

Supporting Member
Feb 19, 2019
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So is anybody wanting to flash a Pioneer ECU for a machine without the AT cam or larger injectors to gain some torque/power? There is one in my shop I could send :D

982E24C1 D640 4318 BD76 8093B1209290 819E6B11 E984 42C5 B9C4 17759B4E509B 2F7D7350 8675 4432 9279 4B46D02F7315

A

ALBANATE

Jun 18, 2018
San Diego
Ownership

1. Other Brand
The AT cam isn't "definitely smaller" from a cam design perspective. The intake close timing is 1 degree different. That's a negligible difference especially when both cams will act extremely similar at low RPM. That is the area that everyone is having difficulty with.

Well lift and duration numbers would indicate it is. As well as dyno comparisons we have done. We have 2 Africa Twins in house and have played with multiple aftermarket profiles on it, and have a Talon that we have tried multiple different profiles on as well. We have found the limits of what can be done with the AT cam vs. the Talon cam and swapped back and forth several times.

Nate
Alba Racing

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Thanks. Is that worth it? They don’t show any #’s as far as improvements but I’d rather try reflash or tuning before going into motor. Is that company one of these guys discussing it??

Thanks again
They are the only ones that I know of doing a reflash for the pioneer currently and not a member of the forum that I know of. I do not know anymore than that. Probably just call Justin there and see what he has to say.

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
Well lift and duration numbers would indicate it is. As well as dyno comparisons we have done. We have 2 Africa Twins in house and have played with multiple aftermarket profiles on it, and have a Talon that we have tried multiple different profiles on as well. We have found the limits of what can be done with the AT cam vs. the Talon cam and swapped back and forth several times.

Nate
Alba Racing

Please Please Please do tell.
What was the results you are teasing us.
Was that different cam profiles or timing and fuel tables?

Reactions: MReihl
aauman88

aauman88

Supporting Member
Feb 19, 2019
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So bought exhaust and PCV for my 1000. The PCV wouldn’t work and had rear injector failure code. New PCV will be here today but I’m having second thoughts.

Should I sell the new PCV and have the reflash done? I know Silber Turbos does the reflash but seems @Zmorris83 or @ALBANATE was close to doing the same or better and I would rather deal with forum members.

jtucker

jtucker

Lifetime Member
Jan 12, 2017
North GA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
where is the ecu located

aauman88

aauman88

Supporting Member
Feb 19, 2019
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Under driver seat

jtucker

jtucker

Lifetime Member
Jan 12, 2017
North GA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
soon as it comes in im going to ship it to them

Reactions: GPR1500SC

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!