Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah.. that’s the next step. I’ve ran into over heating issues this week in Moab with the talon ecu. I suspect it’s due to the higher rpms and maybe fuel mods. Just need to figure some things out before everyone goes and buys talon ECU’s
I'll be a good test this weekend in the high elevations. I will pack stock ecu, and laptop. I will buzz around for an hr then come back and let it make the changes.

J

JTW

I'll be a good test this weekend in the high elevations. I will pack stock ecu, and laptop. I will buzz around for an hr then come back and let it make the changes.
Yeah.. take the laptop, I almost did. But ended up just leaving it in the room. In hindsight that was a mistake

Reactions: ohanacreek and BWAF
D

DDDonkey

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 29, 2017
AZ
Question here, and maybe it has been answered so sorry if it has. With installing the Talon ECU the main benefit we are getting is the reduced torque management? If someone can crack the pioneer ECU and adjust the torque management as well at the fuel tables would that not be the same thing? I am just thinking out loud here as a new ECU and PCV w/AT is pretty pricey, and if that is the case is anyone close to cracking the pioneer ECU/TCM?

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Question here, and maybe it has been answered so sorry if it has. With installing the Talon ECU the main benefit we are getting is the reduced torque management? If someone can crack the pioneer ECU and adjust the torque management as well at the fuel tables would that not be the same thing? I am just thinking out loud here as a new ECU and PCV w/AT is pretty pricey, and if that is the case is anyone close to cracking the pioneer ECU/TCM?
Torque management, faster shifting and more neck snapping shifts. It also moves the rpm up during auto shifting similar to running in sport mode. 1st to 2nd gear is about 5k rpm. Also in normal mode, WOT, it shifts around 8,400 rpm and 8,600 rpm in sport mode. Stock cam pioneer is slower 0-40 shifting that high vs 7500 rpm shifts.

Silber turbos can flash both ECU's but only for fuel and timing. Dynojet also has a fuel and timing flash tuner for the Talon. Jackson racing that is doing the talon turbo with hondas help is the only one I've heard of that might be able to mod the transmission tuning. Silber had no plans unless demand was to go up a lot for them to crack it.

D

DDDonkey

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 29, 2017
AZ
Torque management, faster shifting and more neck snapping shifts. It also moves the rpm up during auto shifting similar to running in sport mode. 1st to 2nd gear is about 5k rpm. Also in normal mode, WOT, it shifts around 8,400 rpm and 8,600 rpm in sport mode. Stock cam pioneer is slower 0-40 shifting that high vs 7500 rpm shifts.

Silber turbos can flash both ECU's but only for fuel and timing. Dynojet also has a fuel and timing flash tuner for the Talon. Jackson racing that is doing the talon turbo with hondas help is the only one I've heard of that might be able to mod the transmission tuning. Silber had no plans unless demand was to go up a lot for them to crack it.

Thanks for the info, looks like it does way more than I thought.

A

ALBANATE

Jun 18, 2018
San Diego
Ownership

1. Other Brand
What do you use the Power commander for? Adding fuel or subtracting fuel? I have 5 or 6 spare Talon ECU's here at the shop and if someone can share a power commander file with me I can likely make the changes in the Talon ECU and send it out to test in a Pioneer. Just a thought...

Nate
Alba Racing

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
What do you use the Power commander for? Adding fuel or subtracting fuel? I have 5 or 6 spare Talon ECU's here at the shop and if someone can share a power commander file with me I can likely make the changes in the Talon ECU and send it out to test in a Pioneer. Just a thought...

Nate
Alba Racing
The Talon has bigger injectors and 50% more power (cam is a lot bigger) than the pioneer. A stockish pioneer needs close to 30% more fuel at idle with the Talon ecu and I believe it was around 20% less at 8k rpm. @joeymt33 has a PCV tune, stock cam & injectors with a HMF pipe. I've got one but with the Africa cam and Talon Injectors and HMF.

A

ALBANATE

Jun 18, 2018
San Diego
Ownership

1. Other Brand
The Talon has bigger injectors and 50% more power (cam is a lot bigger) than the pioneer. A stockish pioneer needs close to 30% more fuel at idle with the Talon ecu and I believe it was around 20% less at 8k rpm. @joeymt33 has a PCV tune, stock cam & injectors with a HMF pipe. I've got one but with the Africa cam and Talon Injectors and HMF.

Ya I am sure with a little data I can build a map for it. I have not seen the cam out of a P1K, but I have compared the AT and Talon and the AT is definitely smaller.

Nate
Alba Racing

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Ya I am sure with a little data I can build a map for it. I have not seen the cam out of a P1K, but I have compared the AT and Talon and the AT is definitely smaller.

Nate
Alba Racing

Rocker Ratio not added to the exhaust below. Measured about 1.5.

Pioneer 72 hp
Lift .293 Intake, .194 exhaust
Duration @.050 208 intake, 206 exhaust

Africa Twin 94 hp
Lift .368 Intake, .262 exhaust
Duration @.050 222 intake, 245 exhaust

Talon 104 hp
Lift .393 Intake, .285 exhaust
Duration @.050 232 intake, 258 exhaust

The Africa cam kills bottom end with the stock ECU. I had to run a gear reduction to get mine to climb in 4 lock with the Africa cam. The Talon ECU has a lot less torque management which helped mine a lot.

Last edited:
GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV

Nate
Alba Racing

Snuffnwiskey is the performance authority on here.
That being said I have the African Twin cam and dual spark plugs, no IGR and willing to try anything once.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I will eventually get my pioneer ECU reflashed so I don’t have to worry about carrying the spare ECU.

BUT, I’ve had the PCV with auto tune since they come out years ago and it’s never had an issue. Also, I’ve put a lot of miles on the Talon ECU in the pioneer and I don’t see any negative other than the 4wd display. It’s even more important for guys with the IGR because it fixes the slow shifting. The added low end power is awesome for crawling below 2500 rpm. The clutch also seems to fully lock up quicker right off idle.

Another benefit is the memory of manual mode, I found that better than what I thought.

The increased rpm for shifting is nice when on the trails but when wanting to cruise easy I’ll grab the upshift paddle.

Long story short, I won’t go back to the pioneer ECU until it’s reflashed. I may add the AT cam one day because snuffs seems to have MUCH better low end after swapping the ECU and he blows me away in acceleration.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!