P500 pulling question

B

Bowtech32

Dec 6, 2013
I have read though these forums a bunch, while I am not YET a Honda pioneer owner. I really can't make up my mind on which pioneer I want/need. With the price tag the 500 has, I can almost buy 2 of them for what a p1k is. I do have a 3 year old and a 9 year old and thought I wanted the P1000-4 but I not sure I want to pay that much and then add the goodies to it. I do have a Yamaha 600 Grizzly that I will be keeping (that thing is bullet proof). So when we ride we will have enough seating for everyone (we don't go way out on trails, just around the house and the deer camp)

Sorry for the long read before I really get to my question. My Yamaha 600 pulls a 4'x4' trailer with close to 1000 pounds of corn out at our deer camp. We have a couple of creek crossings that is pretty steep for pulling a trailer. My 600 will pull it up in low range, but it is choir with that much weight. Wanted to see if this thing can handle that kind of pulling.

If I go this route and like it, heck I may get 2 of them at some point. I really like the small size, but I I do need it to do enough at deer camp and around the house

sthomp54

sthomp54

Jun 11, 2015
Yes, it will pull that weight...it will really surprise you. The 1st gear is a granny gear and the axles are pretty low geared as well. I think it would do what you want but it is not going to have the power or room of the 1000. I pulled a large log with my p500, prob over 1k lbs, this past week and surprised some people with its ability to work and play. Very capable machine, pulls like an ox.

Reactions: jonedmonds
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Why not get the 700-4? Great priced, will pull that load and you won't realize it's there. Plus it will seat 2-3 or 4. And with the bed you might not have to drag a trailer. Its rated a 1000lbs.

Reactions: ohanacreek
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The 700 will haul that 1000lbs of corn in the bed and you won't have to pull a traiker

B

Bowtech32

Dec 6, 2013
Why not get the 700-4? Great priced, will pull that load and you won't realize it's there. Plus it will seat 2-3 or 4. And with the bed you might not have to drag a trailer. Its rated a 1000lbs.
I thought about that as well, but I think if I go bigger I will just jump to the 1000. I really like my trailer, easier to put dead critters into than the bed since it is a lot lower. I really like the size of the 500, not much bigger than my Yamaha. I also like the idea f I really like the 500, I could get 2 of them.

Thank you for the response, tests like this can't be done at the dealership.

D

DavidsPioneer

Nov 9, 2015
Gainesville Ga
I have mine for about a month now and would not hesitate. The P500 is an impressive and you will not regret it

J

jay dawge

Oct 6, 2015
A lot of folks ar etrading their p700's for p1k's so you could prolly find a good deal on a 700

B

Bowtech32

Dec 6, 2013
A lot of folks ar etrading their p700's for p1k's so you could prolly find a good deal on a 700
Thanks, but something like this I will buy new. I will keep it for years, like my ATV. Had it for nearly 15 years and not one issue, just oil changes and a few battery's.

p500fan

p500fan

Lifetime Member
Mar 30, 2015
Sand Point, AK
I haven't pulled much in the way of trailers, but I have loaded over 600lbs on my rack and drove it across my little town. No problems, either power or maneuverability wise.

Z

zxylene

Nov 28, 2015
Carlisle, PA
I pulled my trailer at least 500lbs with two leather couches on it plus recliner also leather and a table the couches two of us could hardly pick up they were very heavy I hauled this up a steep hill from basement to first floor with p500 no problems. I have also moved the same trailer with my foreman on it as where I needed it the p500 could take it and maneuver where my van couldn't. It can haul more than you would think it looks crazy the giant trailer loaded with couches etc and the tiny p500 I love it. I should have taken a picture. Anyhow my wife said about getting another one the other day and I was thinking the same thing.

Reactions: JACKAL
advertisement
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Only thing to consider when pulling trailers is that even if it can pull it, always ask can it stop it?
If you have a 1500lb-ish machine, with you in it, can it stop a 2000lb-ish trailer? that is a 25% weight difference, and you are most likely not on pavement where traction is good. Most military vehicles are derated by half off-road due to traction and tipping concerns.

Reactions: jonedmonds and shep
Z

zxylene

Nov 28, 2015
Carlisle, PA
ohanacreek that is a good point. What is the point where the trailer is pulling you. That will depend on all that you mentioned and if on flat ground, hills, mud, loose gravel etc. It is critical to think about.

CBC89

CBC89

Aug 8, 2015
I've used mine in similar situations(except for the hill). This season I pulled a trailer with a 200+lb wooden deer stand, 200LBs of concrete, tools, and about 500lbs of corn around the farm getting setup for the season. I do not have steep hills but I was in a soggy fire break most of the time and it was dragging all of this in 2nd with issue. Also with my Dad and I in the cab 400+lbs. This is a beast. Tires for traction are key. When its all you have, you really put them to the test.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!