Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
A buddy of mine called me today and said he was having some issues with his pioneer. Recently it has been going dead if he does not have it on the trickle charger. Even to the point if he is out working he is concerned with turning it off for fear it maybe not want to restart if it sits for an hour or so. If he keeps it on the trickle charger all the time it will normally start up but if it is not left on the charger for a day or so it will not turn over. I was thinking, ok, need a new battery. It is about 1.5 years old and a little over 100 mile on it (Uses it to play, run his kids up and down his driveway, etc...) He is a little concerned to take it riding due to this electrical problem that has been going for a while.
Well, today he called and said even with it on the trickle charger it would not start BUT when he took the KEY OUT of the ignition switch the dash stayed lit even when he was holding the key and everything was clearly disconnected? Im thinking the switch maybe bad and has since killed the battery but any other thoughts are welcomed?
Since it is out of warranty he is going to be stuck with the expense so I don't mind replacing it as I am guessing it is a rather simple job but want to make sure we are on the right track before getting parts..

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
He definitely has a short draining the battery down.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
It could be a short somewhere. Or the ignition switch could be faulty keeping power to the accessories. I agree, it's not the battery. But, batteries can be damaged when fully drained. He probably will need a new battery after the short/drain is fixed.

Joe

Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
That is what I was thinking also - new battery will be on the list.
Never seen a machine light the display when the key was removed so that is why I was thinking it has to be something with the switch??

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My battery went bad and would hold a slight charge and when it did the ignition would STAY on after I turned it off. It wouldn't crank but the dash stayed lit. Was weird, not sure how everything energizes/de energizes.

Could use jumper cables to power the Pioneer from a GOOD car battery and see if it still does it.

Might eliminate the switch as a culprit.

It doesn't seem to have many miles on it and if it sits a lot that will discharge the battery just enough to kill it over a year or so.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
My battery went bad and would hold a slight charge and when it did the ignition would STAY on after I turned it off. It wouldn't crank but the dash stayed lit. Was weird, not sure how everything energizes/de energizes.

Could use jumper cables to power the Pioneer from a GOOD car battery and see if it still does it.

It doesn't seem to have many miles on it and if it sits a lot that will discharge the battery just enough to kill it over a year or so.

That's great info. Thanks

Reactions: ohanacreek
Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X

That is interesting - no idea how it keep the ignition on once turned off but that is real good info to have!
THANKS.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That is interesting - no idea how it keep the ignition on once turned off but that is real good info to have!
THANKS.

Not saying it's the solution just that it happened to me when my battery was weak. I replaced the battery and 18 months later when I sold it there had been no issues.

Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Not saying it's the solution just that it happened to me when my battery was weak. I replaced the battery and 18 months later when I sold it there had been no issues.
Think I will advise him to start with the battery and see what happens. No use to panic yet.....
THANKS

D

dale7637

Mar 6, 2014
The easiest way to diagnose a draw is as follows.

Remove negative battery post. Hook a test light up to the negative battery post and the cable that you removed. You essentially complete the circuit with the test light. The test light will stay lit up as long as there is a drain on the battery. Start removing fuses and unplugging accessories until the light turns off. Once the light turns off, you know what the culprit is.
I am assuming that the clock in the cluster will draw some steady power, so disconnect the clock first hand or you will be chasing a draw all day.
Happy hunting

Reactions: bobbyhill
N

Networker

Aug 29, 2015
The easiest way to diagnose a draw is as follows.

Remove negative battery post. Hook a test light up to the negative battery post and the cable that you removed. You essentially complete the circuit with the test light. The test light will stay lit up as long as there is a drain on the battery. Start removing fuses and unplugging accessories until the light turns off. Once the light turns off, you know what the culprit is.
I am assuming that the clock in the cluster will draw some steady power, so disconnect the clock first hand or you will be chasing a draw all day.
Happy hunting
This is good info, glad I have a test light as it appears I will be needing it today.
Last night the wife was feeding horses, uses the 700 to carry the feed buckets that hang on the bottom fence wire. She had turned the machine off and it started normally when she got back in. She started to move the gear lever to "R" to back away from the fence a little bit. When she got the shift lever to "R" (Do all 700's have very stiff shifting?) she heard a "SPRONGGGGG!, the engine sputtered once, then twice, then died. She says when she inserts the key and turns it to ON there are no lights on the display, no fuel level indicator, nothing at all.

Could a linkage spring have come unhooked and pulled apart a wiring harness? The morning dew should be burned off by now so I will be headed down shortly to look for loose wires. The machine is one year old last month and has maybe 50 hours on it. Completely reliable until this.

Going to call the service manager at the local dealer/showroom where we bought it. ( Heritage Honda of Maysville, KY ) We bought the huge, knobby tires on the great looking black & chrome wheels. List was $13,600 but I got the owner down to $11,000 cash. I was good with that. It is a big tool here on our little 61 acre farm. And I added turn signals and ride on the local roads with the headlights on and have passed many a police car with no problems.

Have you or anyone else seen this problem?

Thanks in advance,

Rick

motorcikle

motorcikle

Supporting Member
Jul 8, 2014
I had the same issue this morning dead battery. Charged battery {new Optima} and it load tested just fine. Put it on the charger and with the key out the dash lights all came on. Checked and no real draw, started unplugging and plugging fuses and relays and the light went out and now it works fine. Problem is I don't know which one cured it. I hate that when I do 5 things and then it works and I don't know what fixed it.

Reactions: Sgt_Goat
J

jjhonda17

Feb 4, 2018
Cleveland tn
Ownership

1. 700-4
I had the same issue this morning dead battery. Charged battery {new Optima} and it load tested just fine. Put it on the charger and with the key out the dash lights all came on. Checked and no real draw, started unplugging and plugging fuses and relays and the light went out and now it works fine. Problem is I don't know which one cured it. I hate that when I do 5 things and then it works and I don't know what fixed it.
Its one of the black relays it gets hung up

B

BC700

Nov 30, 2020
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 700-4

First post

I am researching this issue today. This is the best match for my problem. Shut down, key out, two minutes later, relays click and dash lights up. I wonder if the poster's issue returned.

Can anyone point me to a possible solution? Tnx.

A

ArtL

Supporting Member
Dec 8, 2022
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-4
A buddy of mine called me today and said he was having some issues with his pioneer. Recently it has been going dead if he does not have it on the trickle charger. Even to the point if he is out working he is concerned with turning it off for fear it maybe not want to restart if it sits for an hour or so. If he keeps it on the trickle charger all the time it will normally start up but if it is not left on the charger for a day or so it will not turn over. I was thinking, ok, need a new battery. It is about 1.5 years old and a little over 100 mile on it (Uses it to play, run his kids up and down his driveway, etc...) He is a little concerned to take it riding due to this electrical problem that has been going for a while.
Well, today he called and said even with it on the trickle charger it would not start BUT when he took the KEY OUT of the ignition switch the dash stayed lit even when he was holding the key and everything was clearly disconnected? Im thinking the switch maybe bad and has since killed the battery but any other thoughts are welcomed?
Since it is out of warranty he is going to be stuck with the expense so I don't mind replacing it as I am guessing it is a rather simple job but want to make sure we are on the right track before getting parts..
Dealing with exact same issue

Reactions: Smitty335
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Dealing with exact same issue
Take the battery out and have it tested for free at any auto parts store would be the first thing I would do.

Reactions: ArtL