P700 P700 transmission

Johnny

Johnny

Jun 22, 2015
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Well folks, I originally purchased my 700-4 because with my spine and tailbone full of cracks, I couldn't handle a fast machine, or the bouncing from going fast.

Wife wanted a 4 seater, loved the idea of the Honda's "automotive like" tranny.
I can poke around slowly and it's great. The only workout it normally gets from me is plowing snow.

With the recent floods here in WV I REALLY put my 700 to the test this last week. I was amazed.

I hauled my Honda in my 6X10 trailer to the river with my truck, unloaded it, then hooked the trailer to my Pioneer.

I had water logged porches that were washed away, loaded onto the trailer, several people sitting on it, barely creeping over logs and stumps at very slow speeds. Up through the river bottom after the water receded. Never a whimper. Had to winch fallen trees, water filled boats, etc.

Then a couple of porches were too large to lift, they hooked me up, had a couple of situations where the 700 got in a bind and wouldn't even spin the tires. Trying not to damage the porches I would try to pull that way first, (easy) then back up a few inches and take small jerks to free it. I eventually freed every one I was attached to. Then drag it to a better, more accessible area.

Then I used my snow plow to push and level several tons of gravel.

This thing has really impressed in the last week since water has receded. I don't know, it took that slow steady pull and never complain, just seems like it would be tough on a tranny. I had quite the load on it, many times and climbing up out of the river bottom reminded me how attractive the 1000 engine is but the only time it really felt under powered was hooked to a huge porch that was stuck in the mud.
Is it tough on one like it seems it should be?

Will I pay later for the work that it has done this past week?

Reactions: Deluxe700
Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
I wouldn't worry you're using it how it was designed to be used. You haven't said anything that sounds abusive to me. Hondas are tough. That tranny is tough. Just stay on top of your maintenance and you'll be good!

jawquin

jawquin

Oct 24, 2015
Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon R
I haven't had any problems and the first thing mine did when it had 1 mile on it I backed it off the trailer when I got home in the rain and the truck and trailer was stuck. I let it warm up and hooked a log chain to it and the pull hooks on a 4 door F250 and trailer and commenced to pulling. It pulled it out and the machine has never been completely clean again. I broke it in. It's pulled my 6x10 trailer several miles. I've got a picture of a car I pulled out that had been sitting in the same spot for 10 yrs (sunk about 3 inches) and I had to yank a bit on it but it makes me laugh what this thing will do. 4200 miles and it seems to be broke in. Original brakes, no valve adjustments, no differential changes. I just change the oil and filter and air filter. I'm thinking I may go over it at 5000 miles or so. This thing is just like the Hondas I had back in the 80's and it is a slow but tough one.

SuperYeti

SuperYeti

May 11, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Ownership

1. 700-4
I concur, I finally got to do some cleanup on our lot, started clearing out the old skidder roads, so I can pull all the pine beetle kill and blow down out.

Broke my atv choker on this one, had to run into town and grab a real one lol.
IMG 20160702 143017 zps6bhhzvvi

Pulled this all out in a few hours once i got myself setup and going
IMG 20160702 195106 zpsiq3jzyeg
IMG 20160702 195044 zpsp9d2cnas
IMG 20160702 195121 zpsr9eupg1v

Got a bunch of it limbed, and bucked up, plus a bunch from last year all stacked
IMG 20160703 164137 zps6vvhxbje

Not bad for 1/2 a days work. The pioneer never once showed any signs of slowing down, on a few of em when i was pulling 4 trees and they were catching and plowing out all the brush and stuff i had to maybe give it 1/2 throttle, but for the most part, just a little touch of gas, and crawled along no problems. I love my 700!

Johnny

Johnny

Jun 22, 2015
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Awesome! Glad to see you guys putting your 700's through it's paces.

I definitely stay on that oil and air filter.
After all the talk and worry people were having on the one thread about the transmissions of their 1000's it kind of made me worry.

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Awesome! Glad to see you guys putting your 700's through it's paces.

I definitely stay on that oil and air filter.
After all the talk and worry people were having on the one thread about the transmissions of their 1000's it kind of made me worry.
In reality I think the clutch slipping on the 1000 was limited to a few early production units. With a brand new tranny design you could expect a few kinks. The tranny on your 700 is a tried and true design, one of the toughest available in a utv I might add.

Johnny

Johnny

Jun 22, 2015
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Awesome, that's what I was hoping to hear. There are soooo many things I love about that 1000, I could make a long list.

But at the same time I am really amazed at how many times I think to myself, I might not be able to do this while in my 700, and afterwards the 700 just keeps on going, it does what I ask, everything so far except go over 44 MPH

Reactions: Tflynn
SuperYeti

SuperYeti

May 11, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Ownership

1. 700-4
You
Awesome, that's what I was hoping to hear. There are soooo many things I love about that 1000, I could make a long list.

But at the same time I am really amazed at how many times I think to myself, I might not be able to do this while in my 700, and afterwards the 700 just keeps on going, it does what I ask, everything so far except go over 44 MPH

You can fix the 44 mph thing like @spifyd did. Turbo, rincon final drive gear, and bigger tires. Then you get to break axles and things like all the other brand utv owners lol.

Johnny

Johnny

Jun 22, 2015
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Yeah, I've thought about the turbo, if I were healthier I probably would attack several projects on this thing.
I just wished I could buy the tire mount for the back like I have seen some guys fabricate for their 700s!

R

Rexter

Jul 7, 2018
Jacksonville, FL
Ownership

1. 700-2
Yeah, I've thought about the turbo, if I were healthier I probably would attack several projects on this thing.
I just wished I could buy the tire mount for the back like I have seen some guys fabricate for their 700s!
I bought a hitch mounted tire mount and it didn’t fit. I use the factory tie downs in the bed. One over and one on the side. I’ve got the 2-seater so they are VERY limited in mounting locations. What I did works perfect.

411096E4 C758 4834 8A2E 6B6C8C627732

advertisement
Deluxe700

Deluxe700

Lifetime Member
Jul 2, 2017
Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2
I bought a hitch mounted tire mount and it didn’t fit. I use the factory tie downs in the bed. One over and one on the side. I’ve got the 2-seater so they are VERY limited in mounting locations. What I did works perfect.

View attachment 86721
My spare tire mount worked fine. Can even let the tailgate down. I got it off of EBAY. I put "anti-rattle devices on it so it is super tight.
IMG 0685

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!