P700 "Turf Mode" for P700?

C

ctu5000

Feb 21, 2018
Western NC/Upstate SC
Ownership

1. 700-4
Hello all...
Does anyone know if there is a way to "unlock" the rear diff on a P700, that is, make it operate like Turf Mode on the P1000. I wouldn't care if it was a permanent mod or something that could be switched back and forth.

A search of the forums turned up someone who had come up with a way to do it a year or so ago, apparently through some sort of "locking hub," but due to driveability issues and fear of possible liability had decided not to make it available. At the time it appeared that there was a fair amount of interest in doing something like that, but the discussion kind of died out.

Ideas?

Thanks...

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Hello all...
Does anyone know if there is a way to "unlock" the rear diff on a P700, that is, make it operate like Turf Mode on the P1000. I wouldn't care if it was a permanent mod or something that could be switched back and forth.

A search of the forums turned up someone who had come up with a way to do it a year or so ago, apparently through some sort of "locking hub," but due to driveability issues and fear of possible liability had decided not to make it available. At the time it appeared that there was a fair amount of interest in doing something like that, but the discussion kind of died out.

Ideas?

Thanks...
Not sure if u searched it?
I thought there were alot on this subject and the exact reasons that @Glock21user said. I did a quick search up top and sure enough…there is. Id suggest to sell it and get a P1

C

ctu5000

Feb 21, 2018
Western NC/Upstate SC
Ownership

1. 700-4
Not sure if u searched it?
I thought there were alot on this subject and the exact reasons that @Glock21user said. I did a quick search up top and sure enough…there is. Id suggest to sell it and get a P1
Yes, I indicated in my original post that I had searched and found previous discussions from a year or so ago. Even though those discussions seemed to generate quite a bit of interest, the subject dried up. I was just wondering if anything new had come up since then. Thanks for the response, though... appreciate it.

For various reasons, going to a P1000 is not a desirable option for me.

Glock21user

Glock21user

" Nothing succeeds like excess "
Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2018
Livingston county, Mi.
Ownership

1. 700-4
Yes, I indicated in my original post that I had searched and found previous discussions from a year or so ago. Even though those discussions seemed to generate quite a bit of interest, the subject dried up. I was just wondering if anything new had come up since then. Thanks for the response, though... appreciate it.

For various reasons, going to a P1000 is not a desirable option for me.
That was my dilemma. We needed something that can haul 4 and thread between trees.
The 700-4 fit the bill perfectly.
I wanted a P1K-5 but the 700-4 just seemed to work better all around in discussions and logistics.
In the end I am glad we got it.
The solid rear end to me is a bonus not a detriment.

C

ctu5000

Feb 21, 2018
Western NC/Upstate SC
Ownership

1. 700-4
Hey, thanks for the response.

Yep, I hear you. The 700-4 is the (almost) perfect machine for my use. I don't do any hard-core off-roading. Just working around my 8 acre mountain property, riding dirt/gravel roads, and some paved roads now that I have it street-legal here in NC.

The locked rear end causes me a bit of heartburn when I have to drive over the little bit of landscaped yard I have. Unfortunately, I have to drive across it in order to get to other parts of the property.

Plus, when I ride (slowly) on the gravel roads in our little mountain community some of the "get off my grass" crowd complain every time they see a tire mark in the road. No matter how slowly or carefully you drive the 700, the rear end is going to "dig" sometimes. Funny how those folks don't seem to mind my 4x4 Toyota and Jeep with big-ass tires.

It's even more aggravating riding on paved roads and "scrubbing" around turns and corners.

Oh well... I'm finished venting now. I think I'll go ride around the neighborhood for a while! 😎

Glock21user

Glock21user

" Nothing succeeds like excess "
Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2018
Livingston county, Mi.
Ownership

1. 700-4

Yep, I hear you. The 700-4 is the (almost) perfect machine for my use. I don't do any hard-core off-roading. Just working around my 8 acre mountain property, riding dirt/gravel roads, and some paved roads now that I have it street-legal here in NC.

The locked rear end causes me a bit of heartburn when I have to drive over the little bit of landscaped yard I have. Unfortunately, I have to drive across it in order to get to other parts of the property.

Plus, when I ride (slowly) on the gravel roads in our little mountain community some of the "get off my grass" crowd complain every time they see a tire mark in the road. No matter how slowly or carefully you drive the 700, the rear end is going to "dig" sometimes. Funny how those folks don't seem to mind my 4x4 Toyota and Jeep with big-ass tires.

It's even more aggravating riding on paved roads and "scrubbing" around turns and corners.

Oh well... I'm finished venting now. I think I'll go ride around the neighborhood for a while! 😎
I live in farm country so those concerns aren't mine but I can say I would drive up and down that road and enjoy.
Let them complain.
I can take our grandson and roll down it a few times and they would beg for you to drive on it..
20220604 173130
20220604 173108

livefromthetree

livefromthetree

It was a damn good ride. Seriously good.
Supporting Member
Jun 4, 2020
Mount Vernon Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-2

What @Farmer said. Go with a less aggressive tire. Tusk Terrabytes are a perfect tire for my usage which is everything but deep mud and rock crawling. I use it almost every evening riding 30-50 miles dirt, gravel and asphalt and about 1 weekend a month at the deer lease and then 8 weeks a year during deer season it stays in the woods. No issues in sloppy cut corn or bean fields, dont chew up the yard much if any and a much much better quality ride when not off road. Probably have 2500 or so miles on them in this pic

20211023 143428

C

ctu5000

Feb 21, 2018
Western NC/Upstate SC
Ownership

1. 700-4
What @Farmer said. Go with a less aggressive tire. Tusk Terrabytes are a perfect tire for my usage which is everything but deep mud and rock crawling. I use it almost every evening riding 30-50 miles dirt, gravel and asphalt and about 1 weekend a month at the deer lease and then 8 weeks a year during deer season it stays in the woods. No issues in sloppy cut corn or bean fields, dont chew up the yard much if any and a much much better quality ride when not off road. Probably have 2500 or so miles on them in this pic

View attachment 338074
Thanks for the info...

KevP700-4

KevP700-4

Mar 27, 2021
Northern MI
Ownership

1. 700-4
Might swapping in a 1000 rear diff solve the problem??

Headhunterf100

Headhunterf100

Oct 14, 2020
Virginia
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Do not currently own
Might swapping in a 1000 rear diff solve the problem??
The 1000 uses brakes on each wheel unlike the 700s pinion rear brake i believe, also the diff is considerably larger so you'd need custom axles made etc. With enough money and ingenuity it could be done. I also dont know if gear ratios are the same so you also need the front diff.

Reactions: 1border4manu

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!