paddle shift weirdness

M

mikeyd

Aug 3, 2014
never had a quad or a side by side before (just street and dirt bikes) maybe its expected but something strange happened on one of my rides last weekend.
I was about 2 miles out on a gravel road and stopped to scope an area in the woods where bear have been spotted.
As I slowed to a stop, I downshfted into 2nd or 3rd. Just ahead in woods was a pretty large deer, and a few smaller ones.
I cut the engine to avoid spooking the deer.
After watching a while went to drive off but the engine wouldnt turn over - no activty at all
I realized I didnt have it in nuetral so down shifted into 2 (or L not sure) and tried to get to N. Thats where the weirdness happened..
Instead of going into gear the display showed nothing but a dash (-) where the gear indactor is.
Tried upshifting - nothing
Tried downshifting - nothing
Tried turning key off/on (couple times) - nothing
Tried holding shifter back while turning key - nope
I'm thinking oh no, do I have to use the tool under the seat? What was it the manual said about that? ..... :)
I decided to try and roll the machine a little, heavy bugger and hard to move in gear!
Didnt do much more than "rock it" but that did the trick. Next try I was able to downshift to N and get out of there.
Just a little tip if this oddity happens to you.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Hey. Actually, this is a old trick for most shiftable Honda ATV's.

If you cut it off in a high gear, it will take some rocking back and forth to change the gears. Normally you can only change one gear without rocking it. The rocking engages the gear allowing the shifter to reset and shift again.

I didn't expect the Pioneer 500 to be this way. But then again, it is just like the Foreman ES so I guess it should be expected.

Glad you did not get stranded.

O

onlyhonda

Oct 2, 2013
I'm second guessing myself as I am typing this but I'm almost positive you can hold the brake pedal down in gear and still start the machine. May double check me on this, but should help avoid the issue from happening again.

wyliechief

wyliechief

Dec 29, 2014
Rosamond, CA
I ran into the same exact problem this past weekend. Thought I was stuck on top of a hill, but eventually got it to start and shift. Probably put my foot on the brake to get it to start.

Reactions: Geoff
G

Geoff

Apr 25, 2015
Falling Rock,W.V.
never had a quad or a side by side before (just street and dirt bikes) maybe its expected but something strange happened on one of my rides last weekend.
I was about 2 miles out on a gravel road and stopped to scope an area in the woods where bear have been spotted.
As I slowed to a stop, I downshfted into 2nd or 3rd. Just ahead in woods was a pretty large deer, and a few smaller ones.
I cut the engine to avoid spooking the deer.
After watching a while went to drive off but the engine wouldnt turn over - no activty at all
I realized I didnt have it in nuetral so down shifted into 2 (or L not sure) and tried to get to N. Thats where the weirdness happened..
Instead of going into gear the display showed nothing but a dash (-) where the gear indactor is.
Tried upshifting - nothing
Tried downshifting - nothing
Tried turning key off/on (couple times) - nothing
Tried holding shifter back while turning key - nope
I'm thinking oh no, do I have to use the tool under the seat? What was it the manual said about that? ..... :)
I decided to try and roll the machine a little, heavy bugger and hard to move in gear!
Didnt do much more than "rock it" but that did the trick. Next try I was able to downshift to N and get out of there.
Just a little tip if this oddity happens to you.
Next time this happens just push on the brake and hold it then try to start it, it should start right up.....

M

Mikej

May 14, 2015
Next time this happens just push on the brake and hold it then try to start it, it should start right up.....
Just started having issues with my paddle shift ....not sure was going on. It happens periodically going from low to second. Any one else having these issues?

Reactions: Geoff
G

Geoff

Apr 25, 2015
Falling Rock,W.V.
Just started having issues with my paddle shift ....not sure was going on. It happens periodically going from low to second. Any one else having these issues?
I started having problems. try starting in 2nd gear, sometimes I can't get mine to shift from low to 2nd especially when the machine isn't warmed up., so I always start in 2nd...so far so good

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Gem99Ultra
Sxsnewbie

Sxsnewbie

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2015
Eastern Connecticut
I never use 1st in this machine unless pulling something. It is already a habit to start...let warm up....then click to second and go.
Use "L" only when needed. 2nd is the start cruising gear on this machine. And the machine DOES need to be warm to shift properly. I have only used the "L" gear a handful of times to tow very heavy loads and once on a BIG steep. I Love my P5, thing works great! Just put in the seat time to get used to your machine

Reactions: Gem99Ultra
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!