P1000 Parking Brake

D

dswv42

Jul 8, 2020
Charleston, WV
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Has anyone tried adding a REAL parking brake to the Honda Pioneer 1000? Note that I'm talking about a cable actuated parking brake, one that provides mechanical redundancy, unlike the the cheap addons that rely on the existing hydraulic brakes. Bust a brake line while parked on a hill, and it's a very bad day.

Parts are readily available, so adding a mechanical parking brake shouldn't be too difficult, except for the calipers themselves. The existing brake calipers could be replaced with combination parking brake calipers, if suitable brake calipers could be located that fit the existing mounts, even if they use different pads. Separate parking brake calipers could be added, but it would be much more complicated because custom mounts would have to be fabricated.

IMG 20200711 211143

Reactions: Isaiah
J

JTW

Snuff did... but if you have an updated master cylinder your “cheap add ons” work great. The new master cylinders are dual meaning you have separate front and rear breaks.

D

dswv42

Jul 8, 2020
Charleston, WV
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
The new master cylinders are dual meaning you have separate front and rear breaks.

I read that the original master cylinder design used a single fluid reservoir for the front and rear brakes, meaning that a busted brake line would result in a complete loss of all brakes. Did Honda finally change it to a safer dual-reservoir design? Some of their piss poor design decisions makes me wonder if they even bothered to test these things, let alone consider how they would actually be used. Honda should know better.

Last edited:
D

dswv42

Jul 8, 2020
Charleston, WV
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
The following video shows the factory rear hydraulic brake setup used on a Honda Pioneer 1000 machine. The caliper brackets look like a common design, which might make finding combination parking brake calipers a little easier. The calipers themselves appear to be made by a Japanese company called Nissin (Not Nissan), so perhaps something from a Japanese compact car or mini-truck might fit?

For comparison, the following video shows the combination parking brake caliper used on the drive shaft of the Honda Pioneer 500 and 700 machines. Oddly enough, the caliper itself appear to mount to the bracket in much the same way as the OEM calipers used on the Pioneer 1000 machines.

Last edited:
J

JTW

I read that the original master cylinder design used a single fluid reservoir for the front and rear brakes, meaning that a busted brake line would result in a complete loss of all brakes. Did Honda finally change it to a safer dual-reservoir design? Some of their piss poor design decisions makes me wonder if they even bothered to test these things, let alone consider how they would actually be used. Honda should know better.
I think it changed in 18 ish... I know a 2019 cylinder will give you dual reservoirs. I haven’t done it on mine yet. And considering I bought the KRX I don’t know that I will. But I think that’s your best option. Hillbilly Brake and new master cylinder. I know what you mean about the frustration with Honda and some of their design decisions!

D

dswv42

Jul 8, 2020
Charleston, WV
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I think it changed in 18 ish... I know a 2019 cylinder will give you dual reservoirs. I haven’t done it on mine yet. And considering I bought the KRX I don’t know that I will. But I think that’s your best option. Hillbilly Brake and new master cylinder. I know what you mean about the frustration with Honda and some of their design decisions!

I haven't actually bought a Honda Pioneer yet, and plan to purchase a new 2021 1000-3 when they become widely available and the prices start to fall. Perhaps in 3-6 months? In the mean time, I'm learning everything I can about them, and found many more problems than I expected from a machine built by Honda.

D

dswv42

Jul 8, 2020
Charleston, WV
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I thought the work side would be more important than it’s actually been. I find myself using it for riding more than work... tractors and trucks and such are better than the sxs for the work I do.

Likewise, I have a truck and tractor to do the heavy lifting, but it's the little day to day stuff that gets me the most. Haul some yard debris, a few bags of cement, wood scraps, take down the trash, pull my 5x8 utility trailer, etc. The list of small chores is endless. For me, a sport-utility SXS with decent trail riding capabilities, plenty of power and a decent top speed, is the perfect compromise.

Reactions: 0860silverado
D

dswv42

Jul 8, 2020
Charleston, WV
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
All depends on what you’re looking for. I just found that I ride harder and more than I ever thought I would and that a more sport machine is better suited than a more utility machine given the other toys I have access too.

Also, for the money.. you’ll find the KRX is what you will strive the pioneer mods to be. Particularly if you’re buying a 3 seater. It’s waaaaaay cheaper to just buy the KRX than to make the wanted changes to the pioneer. Just ask snuff, Joey or Wes. Lol or the 100’s of us that havent taken that long travel step.

Kawasaki burned me once, never again. Besides, I actually need a bed for utility tasks.

D

dswv42

Jul 8, 2020
Charleston, WV
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Don’t put your leg against the hot thing and that won’t happen.

lol.. but seriously, if you think the pioneer won’t. LMAO!!

Last time I took the leap without knowing what I was getting myself into. However, this time is different, and I will know the machine better than many dealer mechanics before I buy it. The hardest part will be fighting the urge to strip and modify it right away, but I plan to be prudent and give myself some time to use it, possibly coming up with new ideas over time. It also allows time to shake out any hidden bugs, just in case the factory warranty comes into play. Assuming Honda doesn't pull the old "water ingestion", "impact damage" or "owner abuse" routimes.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Last time I took the leap without knowing what I was getting myself into. However, this time is different, and I will know the machine better than many dealer mechanics before I buy it. The hardest part will be fighting the urge to strip and modify it right away, but I plan to be prudent and give myself some time to use it, possibly coming up with new ideas over time. It also allows time to shake out any hidden bugs, just in case the factory warranty comes into play. Assuming Honda doesn't pull the old "water ingestion", "impact damage" or "owner abuse" routimes.
After '16 no problem brake wise. Add a hillbilly brake for convenience.

D

dswv42

Jul 8, 2020
Charleston, WV
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
After '16 no problem brake wise. Add a hillbilly brake for convenience.

That's what I might do at first, but would feel much more confident with a real parking brake. Some chores require me to park on steep inclines, which can be quite dangerous if a machine were to suddenly move. I like living, and being crushed by a machine is not the way I hope to go when my time comes.

J

JTW

That's what I might do at first, but would feel much more confident with a real parking brake. Some chores require me to park on steep inclines, which can be quite dangerous if a machine were to suddenly move. I like living, and being crushed by a machine is not the way I hope to go when my time comes.
Have you considered carrying a railroad tie?

D

dswv42

Jul 8, 2020
Charleston, WV
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Have you considered carrying a railroad tie?

I use wheel chocks or whatever is suitable if none are handy. I see it the same way as working on vehicles sitting on jack stands, I've never trusted them, so I always stack solid oak blocks under a frame member or even just the wheel if I'm working on the brakes. It once saved my bacon when the vehicle weight shifted and down she went.

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!