P1000 Parking Brake?

H

HondaTech

This system works with the rear locking mechanism. Hence the cable box behind the seat/under the floor. They did this because of the big complaints people had about wearing rear brakes out on the 700 when leaving the brake on. I think a better solution would have been to install a stutter box similar to the Polaris ranger line. If it detects the p/b switch is engaged the unit wont rev up.
Honda's solution is simple and shouldn't cause any lock up, if anything breaks it probably just wont park. They should sit still in any gear, wont roll backwards in reverse and forward in high or low.

CashMoney

CashMoney

Feb 5, 2016
Reno, NV
www.SRTNV.com
A line lock like a forklift uses would probably be the best. I've seen guys take the cable operated parking brakes from yamaha quads and attach them to the brake pedal for a good cheap brake. I had an aftermarket parking brake on my RZR that had a cam looking lever with a rod that went to the foot pedal to push on it when it was on but let the rod slide inside of it when it was off. I always worried about that design somehow getting plugged up and locking the brakes. I like the idea some posted about the tractor hook type to grab the pedal. I'm tempted to just cut a stick to length and use some maglight mounts to hold it close for easy operation until I have time to think about how I want to do it more permanent.

CashMoney

CashMoney

Feb 5, 2016
Reno, NV
www.SRTNV.com
I was just having a beer thinking about an easy way to add a parking brake and had an idea. If you made a wedge out of steel, plastic or wood then cut a slot in it the width of the foot brake arm you could push the brake and slide it up till its tight then it should stay put as you release the pedal. Then when you're ready to leave all you would have to do is hit the pedal to get it to fall out. If you look at your pedal you'll see what I mean and I believe it will work.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Have another and figure it out. lol..
Need it to be easily engaged and disengaged, also out of the way!

I still grab to the location of my 700 when I park it.. lol.

Reactions: CashMoney
Springer

Springer

Apr 2, 2014
This system works with the rear locking mechanism. Hence the cable box behind the seat/under the floor. They did this because of the big complaints people had about wearing rear brakes out on the 700 when leaving the brake on. I think a better solution would have been to install a stutter box similar to the Polaris ranger line. If it detects the p/b switch is engaged the unit wont rev up.
Honda's solution is simple and shouldn't cause any lock up, if anything breaks it probably just wont park. They should sit still in any gear, wont roll backwards in reverse and forward in high or low.
So, with the locking taking place in the diff does that mean we should not have trouble putting it in park on steep hills and having the transmission bind, and not letting us shift back into gear?

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So, with the locking taking place in the diff does that mean we should not have trouble putting it in park on steep hills and having the transmission bind, and not letting us shift back into gear?
I haven't tried it on a really steep hill. Joeymt33 tried it and said he got a loud bang when he put it back in gear. It may be that his cables needed adjustment, or it may just be a crappy design. Not sure yet. The service manual shows how to adjust the cables. I'm planning to try and adjust mine at some point. Once I know they are dialed in, I will see how the brake works on a steep hill.

Reactions: joeymt33
Y

Yenko

Jun 8, 2016
Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
One of the first things I noticed about my new P1000 is no parking brake- Seems odd, and with the shifter not being totally reliable, I'd feel a lot better having a PB- Why were PB's standard on other models but not this one? Cup holder's more important?

Reactions: joeymt33
mbjeepxj

mbjeepxj

Mar 21, 2016
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I know this is a fairly old thread, but this is not correct. The service manual shows it being in the Sub-Transmission. Just wanted to make sure correct info is on here.

Park lock

advertisement
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’ll bet if you made some you could sell them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He’s right while some of us are ok at fab work and others are spectacular you also have the ones who just don’t know what they don’t know and a bolt on add would sell really well.

Others just don’t have the time to make it and make it work, if you sold it premade and it was just a bolt on add I’d buy it.

sugarray

sugarray

Is this a game show?
Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2016
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Even if it's just the bracket. I already have a lever.

Reactions: Landman
Landman

Landman

The Great Bearded One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 27, 2017
Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Even if it's just the bracket. I already have a lever.

Same here - just need the bracket. I've got access to welders at my parents house, just no time to get over there and do it while working on the road.

D

DDDonkey

Depending on the price I would buy one. I just don't have the time to break the welder out between work and the honey do's.

Last edited:
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Does somene have a drawing of the bracket? I know I have seen some pics of the bracket, but if someone could post a drawing or email me a scale drawing I could fab up few and see what the interest is.

J

JTW

Does somene have a drawing of the bracket? I know I have seen some pics of the bracket, but if someone could post a drawing or email me a scale drawing I could fab up few and see what the interest is.
I made paper templates of my precut and drilled pieces... if only I can find them??? But mine isn’t bolt on.. I cut down some of the factory bracket and angled mine higher for more foot clearance.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I made paper templates of my precut and drilled pieces... if only I can find them??? But mine isn’t bolt on.. I cut down some of the factory bracket and angled mine higher for more foot clearance.
Are you the guy with big feet that we used to see pictures of all the time??? HA!

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here are my dimensions. My front plate is welded to the angled portion of the side plates and the 1/4-20 fasteners bolt through the slots in the factory pedal mount bracket so no modification or drilling is needed in the machine.

I used 1/8" plate for the first 2 but if I was going to mass produce them I'd like to make them out of 12 or 14 gauge and cut the profile out of 1 piece to avoid the need to weld and make a cleaner part. I maybe be able to cut a few this weekend.

IMG 20180117 201124948

IMG 20170821 121602395
IMG 20170821 130307323

Last edited:
Reactions: Landman and JTW
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I would be interested.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!