P1000 Passenger side seat temperature

CougarP-1000

CougarP-1000

Mar 18, 2016
Florida
Just bought my 1000-5 two weeks ago. After riding 15-20 minutes, my wife can barely sit back in the passenger side seat due to the engine heat. The plastic where the seat belt comes out becomes so hot that I cannot even hold my hand to it for more than 2-3 seconds. Dealership says fan is cycling on. Has anyone else experienced this?

DTAGG

DTAGG

Sep 11, 2015
ST GEORGE UTAH/ACCORD LAKES SEVIER COUNTY UTAH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just bought my 1000-5 two weeks ago. After riding 15-20 minutes, my wife can barely sit back in the passenger side seat due to the engine heat. The plastic where the seat belt comes out becomes so hot that I cannot even hold my hand to it for more than 2-3 seconds. Dealership says fan is cycling on. Has anyone else experienced this?
if you have full windshield and roof it will suck heat and dust into cab area. i found using a towel rolled up in the area helps alot. i removed my windshield and added the 1/4 windscreen and solved all my heat and dust issues. only use my windshield on bad weather days. too bad cuz it is such a waste of money. man o man the things we do for comfort. enjoy.:D

Hognott

Hognott

Jan 13, 2016
Lakeland, Florida

Had that exact problem today !! Between seat heat, cab heat and the obnoxious gear whine, I've determined this thing is a POS !! Either returning to dealer for refund, or selling outright, I don't care which. But I'm done with it after today !! Honda should know better than to allow heat blowing in thru the gear shift lever and 4x4 lever, along with putting the exhaust header 2" away from the seat. I went down this road with a can-am spyder, I won't do it again !! Good luck.

CougarP-1000

CougarP-1000

Mar 18, 2016
Florida
Had that exact problem today !! Between seat heat, cab heat and the obnoxious gear whine, I've determined this thing is a POS !! Either returning to dealer for refund, or selling outright, I don't care which. But I'm done with it after today !! Honda should know better than to allow heat blowing in thru the gear shift lever and 4x4 lever, along with putting the exhaust header 2" away from the seat. I went down this road with a can-am spyder, I won't do it again !! Good luck.

Ha, I hear ya. Thought about doing the same thing. Wasn't sure if dealership would take it back for a refund. You think they would?

KevinSC

KevinSC

Dec 31, 2015
Ha, I hear ya. Thought about doing the same thing. Wasn't sure if dealership would take it back for a refund. You think they would?
Just my .02 but if you want a jeep with ac and no heat felt but it but it if you want an off road toy that you're sitting pretty much over the engine buy the pioneer. You could always thermotech the plastic piece and wrap the headers for heat control. I know this is going to make some mad, but you have to realize you can't have your cake and eat it too. Off soap box now

hondarock

hondarock

Jun 19, 2015
All current Polaris, Yamaha, Can Am Defender utilities have the engine in the rear under the bed. There are lots of sxs's out there that don't have that heat in the seat problem.

tundraman

tundraman

Oct 26, 2015
It's hard to believe more people are not complaining about this heat issue. I assume all the P1000 have it and it's not isolated like the clutch issue. I guess I will save my six grand and keep my 700.

KevinSC

KevinSC

Dec 31, 2015
All current Polaris, Yamaha, Can Am Defender utilities have the engine in the rear under the bed. There are lots of sxs's out there that don't have that heat in the seat problem.
Lol go ride in a Can Am Commander. Wow talk about heat. You are legitimately sitting on the engine.

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
It's hard to believe more people are not complaining about this heat issue. I assume all the P1000 have it and it's not isolated like the clutch issue. I guess I will save my six grand and keep my 700.
the 700 is hotter than the 1000 I know because I had a pioneer 700 for over a year and put over 1,100 miles on it

Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
While riding in a Ranger Crew wearing shorts, I did not dare touch my leg against the lower seat well in the back. Amazing the plastic structures hold their shape.

hondarock

hondarock

Jun 19, 2015
Lol go ride in a Can Am Commander. Wow talk about heat. You are legitimately sitting on the engine.
Yes, that is the way it works.
Try out some that have the engine in the back unlike Honda and you don't have the heat issue.

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
Personally I don't think the heat is that bad but there are a few ways to deal it.
- Different windshield options like DTAGG mentioned above
- Using reflective heat insulation mats on the back of the plastic part at the back of the seat. (Honda probably should have done that for us) Also under the seat. Someone said "second skin" brand worked. Also sealed up the holes where the seat belt are attached.
- Another layer of insulation on that same plastic part inside the cab - someone mentioned just using a towel but we could probably do better
- Im toying with the idea of adding a ventilation system to pressurize the cab in the summer - really just a piece of duct to act as a vent.
- Maybe a small electric fan just to keep the air moving.
- There was also discussion about whether the hot air in the engine compartment ventilated better somehow

I haven't tried any of those yet cause it hasn't bothered me enough yet. We'll see in the summer.

hondarock

hondarock

Jun 19, 2015
Like ghost said, a lot of these heat issues can be fixed fairly easily with a little bit of the right kind of insulation. Yamaha did this to insulate for sound on the second year of Viking production and built a kit to fit first years vehicles.

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
my ranger 700 xp was hot hot hot especially on the front passenger but also the driver I got used to it and no problem

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
Like ghost said, a lot of these heat issues can be fixed fairly easily with a little bit of the right kind of insulation. Yamaha did this to insulate for sound on the second year of Viking production and built a kit to fit first years vehicles.
Anyone have recommendations for a specific type / brand of insulation to use? What to look for ....

hondarock

hondarock

Jun 19, 2015
I used header wrap on the pipe and some cheap walmart aluminum tape to block off some holes on my Ranger and that is all it needed. It has the engine under the seat.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I guess it's matter of opinion but I don't think it's unbearable. I was riding with Joey last week in 80ish degree weather and some of it was crawling over some rocks. Now running through water did produce some steam that got very hot for a few seconds. I also plan to do some insulating to cool it down. I'm spending thousands on other accessories, guess I can spend few bucks on some practical mods lol.

Reactions: Manwell
Buckrocker

Buckrocker

Jan 5, 2016
Rock, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Anyone have recommendations for a specific type / brand of insulation to use? What to look for ....
I took pipe foam insulation and placed it in the crack between seat and undercarriage. I used the preformed type that is precut. It fits very well. I also put it between the roof and roll bar. No more rattles.

Reactions: Stauvo
dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
nice!! I was going to do the same glad u said it works good

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
While riding in a Ranger Crew wearing shorts, I did not dare touch my leg against the lower seat well in the back. Amazing the plastic structures hold their shape.
That's a good statement! My crew lost a heat shield pad and the plastic warped! I say if you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen! Or make the necessary mods and enjoy one of the finest machines ever made;)

Reactions: joeymt33

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!