P1000 Performance Mods, or lack thereof... anyone else bummed?

Tbowman053

Tbowman053

Dec 18, 2016
Henderson, MD
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Maybe its just being a younger guy that into going fast and having a race car and always tinkering on my diesel trucks, im fricking bummed about the lack of performance stuff that out there for these things. I bought it in December 2016 kind of just wanting to be different and I liked the non belt driven UTV and it was new. But now Im kind of upset I didn't spend a little more and go with a 1000 general or rzr for that matter have come down a lot too. Right off the floor 30 more HP is a real kick to the gut. Im by no means upset with my purchase of Honda as I still love it and it does everything I need it to do. Just missing something for me I guess. All in all am I missing something? I see the PC-V is offered but splicing into this machine and welding 02 sensors in don't really appeal to me because im not sure how much longer ill hold on to it. Is the clutch issue the deal breaker why no one is putting r&d on them? Id really love for Honda to come out with a more sportier SxS but just being at the dealer and seeing them asking 20k for a 17 1000-5 I can only imagine the MSRP on a brand new model. Ugh someone pull me out of my funk. Its not helping either the guys that seemed to be leading the charge with the PC-V have pretty much been MIA ever since the dyno runs which were looking very promising. Getting off my soap box now

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'd rather have better suspension than more power at this point but I agree. The aftermarket support is not the same as other Brands

Reactions: joeymt33 and JTW
Tbowman053

Tbowman053

Dec 18, 2016
Henderson, MD
Ownership

1. 1000-3
@Ridem32 did you ever get ahold of your buddy from PA that flashes the computer? Im only like 2.5 hours from him. Id be interested in taking mine up there and letting him tinker with it on dyno

L

Logan

Feb 7, 2016
Canada
I'm in the same boat. Love it. But it is basically comparable to the 800 class of its competitors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Maybe its just being a younger guy that into going fast and having a race car and always tinkering on my diesel trucks, im fricking bummed about the lack of performance stuff that out there for these things. I bought it in December 2016 kind of just wanting to be different and I liked the non belt driven UTV and it was new. But now Im kind of upset I didn't spend a little more and go with a 1000 general or rzr for that matter have come down a lot too. Right off the floor 30 more HP is a real kick to the gut. Im by no means upset with my purchase of Honda as I still love it and it does everything I need it to do. Just missing something for me I guess. All in all am I missing something? I see the PC-V is offered but splicing into this machine and welding 02 sensors in don't really appeal to me because im not sure how much longer ill hold on to it. Is the clutch issue the deal breaker why no one is putting r&d on them? Id really love for Honda to come out with a more sportier SxS but just being at the dealer and seeing them asking 20k for a 17 1000-5 I can only imagine the MSRP on a brand new model. Ugh someone pull me out of my funk. Its not helping either the guys that seemed to be leading the charge with the PC-V have pretty much been MIA ever since the dyno runs which were looking very promising. Getting off my soap box now

This is what we need from big H.

P1000 - The Sport SXS Honda should be selling NOW!

Ridem32

Ridem32

Apr 28, 2016
Terry
@Ridem32 did you ever get ahold of your buddy from PA that flashes the computer? Im only like 2.5 hours from him. Id be interested in taking mine up there and letting him tinker with it on dyno

Guhl Motors - Google Search That's his website. I have not talked to him yet. He did my Ecu on a new 2014 Honda cb1100 deluxe that I had bought new.

Ridem32

Ridem32

Apr 28, 2016
Terry
Also check him out on YouTube

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

Yeah, we haven't updated in a while. The PCV works good and makes a difference but it seems the choke point in the intake lift.

Me and @snuffnwhisky have both changed exhaust, intake, throttle body spacer from 40mm to 44mm. Not much gains in the upper RPM.

The killer at the dyno was not being able to shift gears. Snuff is working on a signal conditioner for the speed input for speedo correction and he even found out how to bypass the front sensor so it shifts now on the dyno. I think we will go back soon and try it out.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Yeah, we haven't updated in a while. The PCV works good and makes a difference but it seems the choke point in the intake lift.

Me and @snuffnwhisky have both changed exhaust, intake, throttle body spacer from 40mm to 44mm. Not much gains in the upper RPM.

The killer at the dyno was not being able to shift gears. Snuff is working on a signal conditioner for the speed input for speedo correction and he even found out how to bypass the front sensor so it shifts now on the dyno. I think we will go back soon and try it out.
Good grief, just ride tighter, rougher trails and you will think you are flying! HA!

advertisement
Tbowman053

Tbowman053

Dec 18, 2016
Henderson, MD
Ownership

1. 1000-3

So do I think the PCV is worth it for someone looking at any performance mod I can get my hands on??? Or do I just suck it up or take my loss and start looking at can am or Polaris?

Reactions: Smitty335
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
So do I think the PCV is worth it for someone looking at any performance mod I can get my hands on??? Or do I just suck it up or take my loss and start looking at can am or Polaris?

You'll have to make that decision if the price fits. It's got a nice low end power increase and the Auto Tune option will work great with future mods. I'm glad I got it.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
You'll have to make that decision if the price fits. It's got a nice low end power increase and the Auto Tune option will work great with future mods. I'm glad I got it.
I've got a really dumb question, with this chassis and suspension limitations, why are you looking for more power. Back in the mid 70's, I raced motor cross, every one was putting this crazy Hp into there engines, I went to work on my suspension, and would blow there britches off on the track, they couldn't stay hooked up, Smitty could! I've always worked on the suspension first and when you could hold it WFO and no issues I would look at motor mods. Just saying, been there done that!

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I've got a really dumb question, with this chassis and suspension limitations, why are you looking for more power. Back in the mid 70's, I raced motor cross, every one was putting this crazy Hp into there engines, I went to work on my suspension, and would blow there britches off on the track, they couldn't stay hooked up, Smitty could! I've always worked on the suspension first and when you could hold it WFO and no issues I would look at motor mods. Just saying, been there done that!
If you had a custom made chassis with 24 inches of travel running 36 inch tires and a 200 hp motor, it wouldn't be a Honda power plant or transmission, they wouldn't take it.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

Not a dumb question at all. I don't want extra power to go faster over rough terrain.

Suspension mods are done. Extra power helps with the larger tires and heavier weight of this machine. It really helps in mud or sand and on real long gravel roads that are steep this thing will leave you desiring a little more power.

Hondasxs was riding with me last year near Windrock. We were going up a gravel hill road probably 1.5 miles and steep. The pioneer was wound out trying to run 30mph.

Also, I lost 6-7 mph with the 30" tires. Maybe I can gain that back soon.

Reactions: Windrock1000
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Not a dumb question at all. I don't want extra power to go faster over rough terrain.

Suspension mods are done. Extra power helps with the larger tires and heavier weight of this machine. It really helps in mud or sand and on real long gravel roads that are steep this thing will leave you desiring a little more power.

Hondasxs was riding with me last year near Windrock. We were going up a gravel hill road probably 1.5 miles and steep. The pioneer was wound out trying to run 30mph.

Also, I lost 6-7 mph with the 30" tires. Maybe I can gain that back soon.
Turbo? Then the next weak link will show up. My brother used to sell Polaris's and has a dandy RZR. He told me a lot of guy's / girls were installing mods to there RZR's. Always to break the next weak link, he said it never ended, it started with axels, diffs, transmissions and finally motors. The old VW rail buggies were BAD BUTT

Tbowman053

Tbowman053

Dec 18, 2016
Henderson, MD
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Not a dumb question but I do a lot of road riding in the country. If you can set up my suspension to make my pioneer faster from a 25mph roll to topped out im all ears. its not breaking traction or handling bad, its slow. Maybe for some people they aren't... but this 1000cc engine is on par with 800 class machines when it comes to getting to top out speed. Id like it to perform like other 1000s that's all

Reactions: Smitty335
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Turbo? Then the next weak link will show up. My brother used to sell Polaris's and has a dandy RZR. He told me a lot of guy's / girls were installing mods to there RZR's. Always to break the next weak link, he said it never ended, it started with axels, diffs, transmissions and finally motors. The old VW rail buggies were BAD BUTT
Not much bigger then a RZR

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Not a dumb question but I do a lot of road riding in the country. If you can set up my suspension to make my pioneer faster from a 25mph roll to topped out im all ears. its not breaking traction or handling bad, its slow. Maybe for some people they aren't... but this 1000cc engine is on par with 800 class machines when it comes to getting to top out speed. Id like it to perform like other 1000s that's all
Mine will run 60 MPH easy and get there pretty fast, when I'm going to the LS, I'm not following you , but thats not uncommon, Suspension mods won't make you go faster on roads, just trails, HA!

Tbowman053

Tbowman053

Dec 18, 2016
Henderson, MD
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Mine will run 60 MPH easy and get there pretty fast, when I'm going to the LS, I'm not following you , but thats not uncommon, Suspension mods won't make you go faster on roads, just trails, HA!
60mph is fast..... for a golf cart lol. These thing feel fast, until you race someone.. then its embarrassing lol

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!