P500 Performance VS Rancher

bendersdad

bendersdad

Jul 6, 2018
Kansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Hey all, I'm new here and am thinking about a P500. I used to have a 2013 Honda Rancher but had to sell it because I couldn't ride it anymore, tendonitis in my shoulders, this aging thing stinks. I mainly do trail riding around here and once a year go to Colorado for 10 days. I'm wondering what I can expect performance wise compared to my Rancher? I know top speed will be less but what about climbing and just general trail riding?

I loved my Rancher that thing was a little tank, one of the reasons I'm looking at the P500, I also like the size as I have to haul it in my truck in order to pull my camper. I would be adding power steering to make things a little easier on my shoulders.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Welcome @bendersdad , Have a 16 Rancher 420 Dct, EPS, IRS and a P500 w/Super ATV PS (not difficult mod). P500 shifts nowhere as smooth, but liking the driver engagement with the paddle shiftIng. Power Steering is great one hand steering, and the P500 fits trail/chores riding style fine given similar medical issues. Bench seat design offers easy in and out, espcially as getting older. LOL. If not for 50 inch restricted trails here, might have gone with 1000, as own a trailer. Still, no regrets, P500 a little tank, espcially with new front locker. Did like recent posts on Wolverine, but several thousand $ more. Many choices to fit riding needs. Hope this helps, but just one man’s opinion.

Last edited:
nctrailboss

nctrailboss

Supporting Member
Jun 30, 2018
north carolina
Ownership

1. 500
My wife and I just traded a 14 Foreman and a 16 420 Rancher on a 17 P500.I don't think I will ever throw a leg over an atv again.Ours has done everything that the 2 atv's did,plus it's a blank canvas to add mods to.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
My wife and I just traded a 14 Foreman and a 16 420 Rancher on a 17 P500.I don't think I will ever throw a leg over an atv again.Ours has done everything that the 2 atv's did,plus it's a blank canvas to add mods to.
Hope you got some boot, on your trade, you will need it for all the accessories you will want to buy,
it never ends! HA! Welcome! There are some people here that has some very nice P5's, you can get all kind of idea's and you might even out smart them all!

nctrailboss

nctrailboss

Supporting Member
Jun 30, 2018
north carolina
Ownership

1. 500
Hope you got some boot, on your trade, you will need it for all the accessories you will want to buy,
it never ends! HA! Welcome! There are some people here that has some very nice P5's, you can get all kind of idea's and you might even out smart them all!
LoL,yeah,I did get some boot,gone now though.Had to buy some "stuff" for the P5.

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
There are smoother rides and faster rides in the 50" category but they are not Hondas . I have a 50" RZR and friends with 50" Wildcats .If I had to pick one to get me there and back , the choice would only be HONDA . That being said , drive them all and pick the one that your butt likes the best .

Deluxe700

Deluxe700

Lifetime Member
Jul 2, 2017
Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2
I understand about the aging thing....My knee's got to where it was hard to throw a leg over my Honda Foreman, so I traded for a P700. I don't think I will ever go back to a ATV, but I do miss it. Getting in and out of the P500 will be very easy and with the addition of power steering as mentioned, it will be a breeze to drive. I think you will be very happy with the 500

bendersdad

bendersdad

Jul 6, 2018
Kansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Thanks for the replies, its encouraging to hear. I think a P500 will fit my riding style nicely, I'm more of a cruiser than a speed demon anymore.

I like the Honda for its reputation and transmission, I'm just not a fan of CVTs.

luckymike

luckymike

Lifetime Member
Sep 5, 2016
michigan
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Love my p5.i also came from a rancher.the big adjustment for me was the noise but I've gotten used to it.no regrets,it's a little beast and alot of fun

Reactions: 500oneer
H

hoggr9

Sep 10, 2014
Xenia, IL
Ownership

1. 500
I went from a rancher to P5. No regrets EXCEPT. Now my daughter is old enough to start doing some serious trail riding so it is time for an upgrade. My 2015 yellow P5 is for sale

Reactions: Bad_bowtie
advertisement
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
How much?
I apologize, I will never start a thread that can lead to politics again! At the age we are, you may win an argument but you won't change the others mind, I broke my own rule by making a statement about politics and probably got the name calling and all the other stuff going, we all have a lot in common and enjoy each others company other than politics and religion, so what do you think about my next thread, what flowers do you like to smell the most? HA!

Reactions: DG Rider
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I apologize, I will never start a thread that can lead to politics again! At the age we are, you may win an argument but you won't change the others mind, I broke my own rule by making a statement about politics and probably got the name calling and all the other stuff going, we all have a lot in common and enjoy each others company other than politics and religion, so what do you think about my next thread, what flowers do you like to smell the most? HA!
It's not your fault . Like his comrades, he feels the need to spread his drivel at any opportunity . Even in his signature. I'm tired of hearing it.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
It's not your fault . Like his comrades, he feels the need to spread his drivel at any opportunity . Even in his signature. I'm tired of hearing it.
Be Nice! He's actually a very good friend of mine, I just pushed the wrong buttons.

Reactions: DG Rider
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Be Nice! He's actually a very good friend of mine, I just pushed the wrong buttons.
I am being nice.
He's now on my ignore list for the 2nd time. Things go fine until he starts repeating the script...

Reactions: lee
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500

You got locked the f*** out!
Chris tucker

Reactions: Smitty335
H

hoggr9

Sep 10, 2014
Xenia, IL
Ownership

1. 500
My yellow 2015 has about 1100 miles. Honda poly windshield, rear window, cargo tray, top, and soft doors. Strongmade front bumper, terra 35, ssv works overhead stereo, full time skids. Can't remember brand. $7500 obo?

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!