P500 Picking tires was stressful! Done.

P

PNWGuy

Normally I love shopping for tires for my SUV and Jeep. Very knowledgeable about the different tread designs and how they affect performance and what not.

Not so much with ATV/UTV tires.

My last ATV was a Polaris Sportsman 500 and found a set of tires that I really, really liked. Did great in the woods. The Wanda P241...

K96O01eqD04wvpNetUk8OhGhU3Lemqwr0dYt9MHzLDwpX92IB   Copy

Unique combo of chevron-style lugs with aggressive sidewalls. Was under $250 for a set.

Unfortunately, they don't make them in 26" and went to a more conventional mud pattern for their latest tire.

81TelUzCnlL SL1500
71xf eHsPUL SL1500

Also, they didn't have the rears in 26x11-12 and had to get 26x12-12 for the back and 26x9-12 for the fronts.

I see that other members have them on stock rims and they work fine. Hoping the extra width helps with stability. Complete set shipped to my door was $326.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Normally I love shopping for tires for my SUV and Jeep. Very knowledgeable about the different tread designs and how they affect performance and what not.

Not so much with ATV/UTV tires.

My last ATV was a Polaris Sportsman 500 and found a set of tires that I really, really liked. Did great in the woods. The Wanda P241...

View attachment 81646

Unique combo of chevron-style lugs with aggressive sidewalls. Was under $250 for a set.

Unfortunately, they don't make them in 26" and went to a more conventional mud pattern for their latest tire.

View attachment 81648
View attachment 81649

Also, they didn't have the rears in 26x11-12 and had to get 26x12-12 for the back and 26x9-12 for the fronts.

I see that other members have them on stock rims and they work fine. Hoping the extra width helps with stability. Complete set shipped to my door was $326.
Those look pretty tough. Post a pic once you get them mounted.

Reactions: Caper
nctrailboss

nctrailboss

Supporting Member
Jun 30, 2018
north carolina
Ownership

1. 500
And if picking tires wasn't stressful enough,my tires were on the brown truck,at the entrance to my workplace,BUT,Dennis Kirk left out a "2" on the address.So ,brown truck drives on,with a note made in the tracking info that" address did not exist,returning to sender".Grrrrrrr.

P

PNWGuy

And if picking tires wasn't stressful enough,my tires were on the brown truck,at the entrance to my workplace,BUT,Dennis Kirk left out a "2" on the address.So ,brown truck drives on,with a note made in the tracking info that" address did not exist,returning to sender".Grrrrrrr.

That's the worst...

I'm scheduled to pick up my Pioneer next Thursday afternoon and the tires are scheduled to be delivered that morning. Not sure if I should leave the stock tires on it a while so I can see how it rides and handles without, or just put them on and enjoy the benefits immediately.

nctrailboss

nctrailboss

Supporting Member
Jun 30, 2018
north carolina
Ownership

1. 500
That's the worst...

I'm scheduled to pick up my Pioneer next Thursday afternoon and the tires are scheduled to be delivered that morning. Not sure if I should leave the stock tires on it a while so I can see how it rides and handles without, or just put them on and enjoy the benefits immediately.
Congrats on the new P-5.Had mine a little over a month now,and It still puts a grin on my face.I would go ahead and put on the new rubber,the stock tires are not very good.

Reactions: Caper and PNWGuy
nctrailboss

nctrailboss

Supporting Member
Jun 30, 2018
north carolina
Ownership

1. 500
Well,the brown truck came back with my new 26x9x12 Big Horn 2.0's on Delta 5 and 2 rims.Happy,Happy ,Happy!These things perform great.

D

Deleted member 3748

That's the worst...

Congrats on the new P-5.Had mine a little over a month now,and It still puts a grin on my face.I would go ahead and put on the new rubber,the stock tires are not very good.
I stand by my claim that the stock tires are pretty good. They never let me down in over 1500 miles. If you're not worried about getting a flat in rocky terrain... send it! :D

Reactions: RumpRocket
nctrailboss

nctrailboss

Supporting Member
Jun 30, 2018
north carolina
Ownership

1. 500
I stand by my claim that the stock tires are pretty good. They never let me down in over 1500 miles. If you're not worried about getting a flat in rocky terrain... send it! :D
Ok,maybe saying the stock rubber is "bad" was not spot on.I could probably have been just like you and run the stock tires and been just fine,but I gotta say,if the stock Kendas are good,Maxxis Big Horns are better.All of my previous atv's ran the stock rubber and I was fine with them.The way UPS and Dennis Kirk was handling my Big Horn order,I thought I was gonna be wearing out my stock tires first.LoL

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Ok,maybe saying the stock rubber is "bad" was not spot on.I could probably have been just like you and run the stock tires and been just fine,but I gotta say,if the stock Kendas are good,Maxxis Big Horns are better.All of my previous atv's ran the stock rubber and I was fine with them.The way UPS and Dennis Kirk was handling my Big Horn order,I thought I was gonna be wearing out my stock tires first.LoL
I really like the back stock Maxis, it was the front that I kept busting, even busted a 8 ply EFX on the front, finally went to the same size tire front and rear, no more busted front tires, I think the P1's are a lot heavier than a P5 and probably carry a little more speed, that would explain the front busts.

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
That's the worst...

Congratulations on the new Pioneer. I bought mine in ‘14 and it still puts a smile on my face. More when I’m driving it. Haha Mine is a 500. Have fun.
Caper

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!