Pickup bed hauler

Gorms

Gorms

Mar 23, 2019
Mass
Ownership

1. 700-4
Well finding out the main reason we got our 700-4 is the biggest headache, obstacle at least. To pull our camper and hit some trails. Getting a toy hauler is out of the question for a few years anyhow, and we could pull up with 2 trucks but that is not ideal either.

So I plan on making some ramps to load it into the back of our truck and not hang on the tailgate. Looks like it will fit without going over the cab, raising the front end about 46 inches should keep the rear wheels just inside the bed. Tailgate off, which is fine with me.

Found ideas of some elaborate setups, but most seem to ride above the bed rails. I have 60 1/2 inches at the tailgate so I will keep it low at the rear with some small perches for the front to ride on, probably at cab height. Might have to go on top now that I think of it....

Just wondering how steep of an angle is too steep for starting it up. Like I said the front end should be about 46" up....

R

Rustell

Don't know what kind of truck you have, but it better be a big one. Check your load capacity and add everything up before you get started..

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Not sure what length box you have but it went for us no problem straight in same with our current 1000-5. Could’ve pulled the tailgate if needed and ramp from the bumper but we’ve pulled trailers with it down, not sure about front mounted propane bottles but think it would go. The old Dodges don’t know it’s in there whatsoever.
92C8246B 8186 4165 A014 015B9117C409

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
DG tailgate supports are handy, different lenghts, shorter for tilt (a few extra inches and roll back prevention) or longer ones for flat support.

05239DBE 0E59 4434 9475 29D8EB96593C 5EA6D481 3C64 4EE0 AC2C 6E91E1B9B701

B

Baldeagle

Sep 16, 2017
AB
Well finding out the main reason we got our 700-4 is the biggest headache, obstacle at least. To pull our camper and hit some trails. Getting a toy hauler is out of the question for a few years anyhow, and we could pull up with 2 trucks but that is not ideal either.

So I plan on making some ramps to load it into the back of our truck and not hang on the tailgate. Looks like it will fit without going over the cab, raising the front end about 46 inches should keep the rear wheels just inside the bed. Tailgate off, which is fine with me.

Found ideas of some elaborate setups, but most seem to ride above the bed rails. I have 60 1/2 inches at the tailgate so I will keep it low at the rear with some small perches for the front to ride on, probably at cab height. Might have to go on top now that I think of it....

Just wondering how steep of an angle is too steep for starting it up. Like I said the front end should be about 46" up....

No problem leaving the back wheels on the bottom of the pickup box for that rise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gorms

Gorms

Mar 23, 2019
Mass
Ownership

1. 700-4
2007 Dodge ram 3500, srw. Trailer is pretty light, under 7k loaded. Really hardly feel it over our last trailer that was a bit heavier. 6.5' bed, and the current setup wouldn't clear the jack with the tailgate down.

Our backup plan was to drive it in the bed of our work truck, 98 Ram 2500 w/flatbed deck. I know it would fit in there but would hate to drive 2 trucks. And the 07 mega cab has much more room for kids/gear etc vs the 98.

And yes, either truck would be fine for the weight. I routinely load them with 2-4k lbs (or better in the 98) of firewood with no issues. Started building the ramps tonight, should have the truck side close to done by this weekend. Then will just need loading ramps, easy peasy.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
A couple good trucks you have.
As far as loading ramps we bought some EBay 1500# a piece 10ft folding ramps, worked good.
Small box does complicate it a bit, out friend that comes up with uses this
C69B1E8A 8946 4A91 8C41 D4EA3E493BD6

94220A77 C99D 4DFA A05C AC19AF177D7F

Works well with his quad but we also checked it with our Wolverine and it would work, mileage would obviously suffer but think 700 would probably fit too

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
I saw this online and may be something to consider, assuming the truck can handle this kind of load.

BulldogATV UTVRack 6

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
A couple good trucks you have.
As far as loading ramps we bought some EBay 1500# a piece 10ft folding ramps, worked good.
Small box does complicate it a bit, out friend that comes up with uses this
View attachment 124940

View attachment 124941

Works well with his quad but we also checked it with our Wolverine and it would work, mileage would obviously suffer but think 700 would probably fit too

if you really weigh a sportsman long wheel probably close to a utv in weight by itself,(needs some bags) but that's what id do anyway, hate the ride in any of the 3/4 or 1 tons miserable the other 95 percent of the time you have to live with it. half ton with air lift bags and onboard compressor, and hydro boost breaks pulls my tractor(no bars) or 33ft camper the same as any 2500/3500, and rides like a buick unloaded

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
if you really weigh a sportsman long wheel probably close to a utv in weight by itself,(needs some bags) but that's what id do anyway, hate the ride in any of the 3/4 or 1 tons miserable the other 95 percent of the time you have to live with it. half ton with air lift bags and onboard compressor, and hydro boost breaks pulls my tractor(no bars) or 33ft camper the same as any 2500/3500, and rides like a buick unloaded
This guy commutes with his truck but that Chevy is over loaded and he’ll admit it, he’s already looking for 3/4. Not enough truck for the load

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
most people do and he will think twice about commuting everyday in an unloaded truck, all he needs is bags(possibly aftermarket shocks the original gm ones arent that great either)I like the kyb gas adjust, we have some bad roads they ride nice on that, as well as control the trailer a lot better . the gas 2500s ride terrible and get about 60 percent of the unloaded mileage the 5.3 gets and have maybe 20 more hp.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
most people do and he will think twice about commuting everyday in an unloaded truck, all he needs is bags(possibly aftermarket shocks the original gm ones arent that great either)I like the kyb gas adjust, we have some bad roads they ride nice on that, as well as control the trailer a lot better . the gas 2500s ride terrible and get about 60 percent of the unloaded mileage the 5.3 gets and have maybe 20 more hp.
It’s not just suspension. Front and rear ends are heavier, steering, gearing, components,bearings, ujounts,axles, frames and brakes. My son discovered that but instantly killing a Ford 1/2 ton with a baby Cummins. Just because the share the same sheet metal doesn’t mean they are the same and just because you’re in the capabilities of your truck doesn’t mean it’ll take the same abuse as long.
Now if someone is light loaded and does more commuting 1/2 will be perfect, if more mileage and a heavier load 3/4 is better. I’ve been around a lot of trucks in the woods, a light loaded 1/2 with actually outlast a 3/4 but more weight obviously changes that. My buddy drives to work every day, about 6-7 miles every day. Camps on weekends at 120 round trip. The gentle ride to work doesn’t offset the need for a stouter tow vehicle.
I think those that don’t need a truck for most of the year should buy a car for that job and quit b****ing that they need a truck that rides like a Lexus. It’s funny how some people want to look tough driving a truck yet b**** about ride, comfort and mileage lol.
We have a guy at work that drove an old Ford to work every day, he b****ed for years about it and I always said get a car. He finally bought a VW turbo diesel, he saved enough on fuel to pay for the car and put a couple hundo in his pocket a month. Was more comfortable too. He’s now got the car paid off and obviously even more savings plus he’s got a car worth something rather then a fuel bill.
I’m only 5 mile round trip to work so it doesn’t matter, I’d drive my 3/4 ton no problem but why put mileage on it so I bought a 300 dollar car, but then again looks or image don’t matter to me.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It’s not just suspension. Front and rear ends are heavier, steering, gearing, components,bearings, ujounts,axles, frames and brakes.....
Excellent point, people overlook that airbags help ride and improve control WITHIN the existing limitations of the vehicle, they DO NOT ADD capability to the overall truck.

....It’s funny how some people want to look tough driving a truck yet b**** about ride, comfort and mileage lol...... I bought a 300 dollar car, but then again looks or image don’t matter to me.
Most...I am going to say that again for the sensitive snowflakes, MOST of the people that HAVE to HAVE a shiny "tricked out mall crawler" truck/Jeep/Car are way outside their capability to pay for it and/or never use it for what it was remotely designed for or capable of. Cars too if you never take your 800hp car to the track why buy it. Its a very expensive accessory for a lot of people to prove they are a "big man", its ok "big man" you can drive a s***box and your dick is the same size. You'll also have a lot more money in your pocket and can retire early enough to enjoy life instead of working yourself to death proving you're a "big man".

I am going to buy a nice ½ Ton truck in the next 6-12 months but I plan on it having a 10+year life with me, so I want it to be nice. I am going to add air bags and a few utilitarian accessories but its not going to be a daily or a 13k lb tow pig anytime its cranked either. Its going to fit what I need and hopefully be nice and comfy for a decade. As much as I dislike the company car I have (mainly because I would have chosen a different trim and engine of the model I have) I am going to milk every last mile out of it I can instead of putting them on our vehicles. Might even splurge and step the truck up a trim level depending on what features it adds, since I have pretty much decided I have no real use for a $25-30k "built" Talon until the Pioneer is worn out, at this point still need the 3+ seating capacity, and since its a Honda that might take a while even the way I use it.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
It’s not just suspension. Front and rear ends are heavier, steering, gearing, components,bearings, ujounts,axles, frames and brakes.
Exactly...and in my case, my Platinum F-250 came with factory overloads, not much different than a 1 ton and I just pulled a dozer on a tandem dually trailer from Dalhart Texas to my property in New Mexico, 23,000 pounds and though I approached it with much angst, within the first couple miles I was as calm as a cucumber and most impressed with it, amazed actually. Oh and the manual locking rear diff and the smoother ride is why I chose the F-250 over the Denali or Ram. But in the end I believe them all to be good trucks..:cool:

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
a lot people would rather just have one thing to fix than a bunch and that leaves driving the one choice all the time. he is likely in the tow limit any way, the only thing its over would be a little more than hauling, I wouldn't try hauling my pioneer in it but you choose whats best for 99 percent of your situation which is driving all the time and snow and the other one percent of the year towing is good enough. no reason to buy a huge truck expensive over kill for hauling a little over a few times a year

Reactions: hoghead76
Gorms

Gorms

Mar 23, 2019
Mass
Ownership

1. 700-4
We only own diesel vehicles at the moment, not to start another which is better but they work great for us. Lowest mileage vehicle is the 07 Ram, 5.9 Cummins with 225k, followed by 01 Jetta TDI w/265k, and bringing up 300k is our 98 Ram w/12v Cummins. It is nice to have a variety, economy or hauling or a bit of both. Dont care too much for appearances, as long as its decent.

That's partly why we chose Honda for our sxs purchase, looking for something to last. Everything else we own is old and well broken in, including some old Honda bikes. Which seem to age the best.

Now we just need to fit one onto the other....

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
We only own diesel vehicles at the moment, not to start another which is better but they work great for us. Lowest mileage vehicle is the 07 Ram, 5.9 Cummins with 225k, followed by 01 Jetta TDI w/265k, and bringing up 300k is our 98 Ram w/12v Cummins. It is nice to have a variety, economy or hauling or a bit of both. Dont care too much for appearances, as long as its decent.

That's partly why we chose Honda for our sxs purchase, looking for something to last. Everything else we own is old and well broken in, including some old Honda bikes. Which seem to age the best.

Now we just need to fit one onto the other....
I’m right there with ya brother. 400k 98 12v,325k 12v converted school bus,225k 93 12v, 250k Nissan turbo diesel converted toy hauler, an 01 24v 300k and 4 Honda dirt bikes in my driveway. That’s why we don’t have Polaris

Last edited:
Gorms

Gorms

Mar 23, 2019
Mass
Ownership

1. 700-4
So I didn't get as much as I thought done (big surprise) but managed to build the carrier ramps. Probably oversized, its 3x3x1/4" angle with 1-1/2x1/4 flat stock bridges. It's what I had kicking around. They are a bit heavy, but manageable. Probably about 80lbs each. Will cut up some expanded metal and tack it down for better traction, then work on pinning it all down while staying removable. Then paint.

Did break down and buy some reese 3k lb aluminum 1 piece loading ramps, they were $220 at tractor suppy. Did not have enough 2" angle to build them so these were probably cheaper than buying steel and making my own. Not sure about the rating but they hold the 700-4 just fine.

20190427 203118

Last edited:
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I didn't get as much as I thought done (big surprise) but managed to build the carrier ramps. Probably oversized, its 3x3x1/4" with 1-1/2x1/4 flat stock bridges. It's what I had kicking around. They are a bit heavy, but manageable. Probably about 80lbs each. Will cut up some expanded metal and tack it down for better traction, then work on pinning it all down while staying removable. Then paint.

Did break down and buy some reese 3k lb aluminum 1 piece loading ramps, they were $220 at tractor suppy. Did not have enough 2" angle to build them so these were probably cheaper than buying steel and making my own. Not sure about the rating but they hold the 700-4 just fine.

View attachment 125549

Nice I don’t trust my welds that much.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!