Pickup bed hauler

Gorms

Gorms

Mar 23, 2019
Mass
Ownership

1. 700-4
I didn't want to add any length to the hitch.

What's the new hitch rated for, tongue weight and total weight? The camper I tow is bit under 7k loaded, so pin weight would assume to be no less than 6-700 lbs.

Last edited:
jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
some just say the trailer weight but the 10 percent would be assumed in that instance. always get 10 or 12 k wd hitch, reese or curt. not a place to skimp, unless you want your want your camper that costs a fortune getting there before you in unknown condition.

looks good to me, i overdo it most times too but i think i would run some kind of angled brace to the back rack

Last edited:
Reactions: Cuoutdoors
jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
Nice I don’t trust my welds that much.

people think its rocket science, its really a learned skill like anything else, driving whatever. patients and practice. i built a million things over the years, anything for my firebird is why i started, you cant just go buy th400 trans mounts or older sbc engine mounts and exhaust. well you can but it will be half as good and twice what i paid for the mig 220. didnt start with that though, wood trailers that dont matter if it breaks, wood splitter, than i built those. built bigger trailers for my car and tractor, they are all holding good decades later. its all about keeping things clean and patients to do it right

Reactions: JTW and ohanacreek
Todd627

Todd627

HondaSxS Club Stress Management Director
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI
Or just buy this from me. Keeps the load lower and safer.

View attachment 125690 View attachment 125691

@trigger would that setup work on my short short bed?

IMG 1482

Reactions: trigger
Gorms

Gorms

Mar 23, 2019
Mass
Ownership

1. 700-4
Well it works. Got it bolted to the head bar and pinned to my little riser tube, a few straps holding it down to the factory tie points inside the bed just in case.

Ramps are totally solid with the 700 on top, no flexing at all. Started to rain again after I loaded and tied it down but had enough time for a test drive. Feels pretty stable, way better than my 1971 Amerigo slide in camper years ago. THAT was top heavy. Tailgate even goes on and closes. Finishing touches and we should be good to go.
20190428 114530
20190428 120507
20190428 123423

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
So I didn't get as much as I thought done (big surprise) but managed to build the carrier ramps. Probably oversized, its 3x3x1/4" angle with 1-1/2x1/4 flat stock bridges. It's what I had kicking around. They are a bit heavy, but manageable. Probably about 80lbs each. Will cut up some expanded metal and tack it down for better traction, then work on pinning it all down while staying removable. Then paint.

Did break down and buy some reese 3k lb aluminum 1 piece loading ramps, they were $220 at tractor suppy. Did not have enough 2" angle to build them so these were probably cheaper than buying steel and making my own. Not sure about the rating but they hold the 700-4 just fine.

View attachment 125549
Looks great!!! :cool:

Gorms

Gorms

Mar 23, 2019
Mass
Ownership

1. 700-4
All done now with a good tie down setup, traction added to the ramps, even some paint. Took a 25 mile test ride hitting highway on a windy day, local bumpy roads etc. Feels even better with the trailer on somehow. I think it puts enough weight on to keep the truck riding on the helper springs. Without the trailer on it is close to them but not quite. Got the ramps setup so I can load it easily by myself, and after loaded the ramps and a small ladder fit under the rig with the tailgate up.

Only thing I may change is wider strap up front. But the ratchet handle is a little tight as is in its current location, bigger one would not be easy to open up in the wheel well. They are good for 1400lbs I believe, just look a little small. Otherwise ready to go!

20190522 183316
20190522 183609
20190522 200408

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
All done now with a good tie down setup, traction added to the ramps, even some paint. Took a 25 mile test ride hitting highway on a windy day, local bumpy roads etc. Feels even better with the trailer on somehow. I think it puts enough weight on to keep the truck riding on the helper springs. Without the trailer on it is close to them but not quite. Got the ramps setup so I can load it easily by myself, and after loaded the ramps and a small ladder fit under the rig with the tailgate up.

Only thing I may change is wider strap up front. But the ratchet handle is a little tight as is in its current location, bigger one would not be easy to open up in the wheel well. They are good for 1400lbs I believe, just look a little small. Otherwise ready to go!

View attachment 130665 View attachment 130666 View attachment 130667
I have to say with tongue in cheek, that's quite a contraption, looks good for local rides, don't think I would want to take off across country with it, with a roof. Have fun and be safe!

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
We only own diesel vehicles at the moment, not to start another which is better but they work great for us. Lowest mileage vehicle is the 07 Ram, 5.9 Cummins with 225k, followed by 01 Jetta TDI w/265k, and bringing up 300k is our 98 Ram w/12v Cummins. It is nice to have a variety, economy or hauling or a bit of both. Dont care too much for appearances, as long as its decent.

That's partly why we chose Honda for our sxs purchase, looking for something to last. Everything else we own is old and well broken in, including some old Honda bikes. Which seem to age the best.

Now we just need to fit one onto the other....
I had an 04 VW Jetta TDI in college. I got it from a guy that messed up the timing belt change. I rebuilt the top end, a little bigger injectors, and the turbo went bad so I replaced that and deleted the egr then put better exhaust. That car would go 80mph up any hill and never had to shift. All while getting 40mpg+. I loved that car. I ran it to 320k and still got good money out of it.

Sorry for the side discussion, back to business now.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Gorms

Gorms

Mar 23, 2019
Mass
Ownership

1. 700-4
Well yep. Back to business....

Only fault I had was the hood blew off. Pretty sure it was latched down right. Had very strong head winds for over 200 miles on the trip up, steady 20-30 with gusts up around 40 mph. Broke an opener on one of the camper vents as well. Fuel mileage sucked, about 10 mpg (usually pull 12-15) but the winds were killer. Drove around a bunch through the mountains and had no problems. Actually could not feel much in the truck without the trailer . Overall a success.

Last edited:
Reactions: CumminsPusher

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!