P1000m5 Pioneer 1000-5 can’t get air out of coolant system

Chamby1000-5

Chamby1000-5

Feb 10, 2017
South Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Got a 16’ pioneer 1000-5 that constantly overheats. Tried to burp multiple times to no avail. When it overheats radiator is 85 degrees and coolant coming out is 85-90 degrees, so I assume it’s getting air pockets. When trying to burp it constantly bubbles and occasionally blows out the top, but even after it does and I fill the rad back it never stops it just continues the cycle. Will idle all day and never see three bars, and also never see three bars when staying around 4500 rpm but seems to get air pockets when you really get on it. At a loss here any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Got a 16’ pioneer 1000-5 that constantly overheats. Tried to burp multiple times to no avail. When it overheats radiator is 85 degrees and coolant coming out is 85-90 degrees, so I assume it’s getting air pockets. When trying to burp it constantly bubbles and occasionally blows out the top, but even after it does and I fill the rad back it never stops it just continues the cycle. Will idle all day and never see three bars, and also never see three bars when staying around 4500 rpm but seems to get air pockets when you really get on it. At a loss here any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Did you bleed the bleeder screw at the top of the thermostat housing?

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Yes I have, even took out the thermostat to make sure it all circulated
How did u burp it?
also, are u burping it to try and help the overheating or are u burping it cuz u changed the fluid or both? If u didnt already know, u need to elevate the front end to properly burp it. A quick search up top as always, gave me a nice link and another link there form the great Sunuffwhisky. Report back if this works.

Reactions: Smitty335
Chamby1000-5

Chamby1000-5

Feb 10, 2017
South Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How did u burp it?
also, are u burping it to try and help the overheating or are u burping it cuz u changed the fluid or both? If u didnt already know, u need to elevate the front end to properly burp it. A quick search up top as always, gave me a nice link and another link there form the great Sunuffwhisky. Report back if this works.

Burping to try to stop overheating, I have elevated front while burping to no avail. Read multiple threads on overheating problem but haven’t found anyone who is having the same problem as me, every other case where someone has air in the system their pioneer gradually overheats. Mine is perfectly fine the all of a sudden hits three bars then 4 bars within 30 seconds. When this is going on motor will be 200+ degrees while radiator is

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Burping to try to stop overheating, I have elevated front while burping to no avail. Read multiple threads on overheating problem but haven’t found anyone who is having the same problem as me, every other case where someone has air in the system their pioneer gradually overheats. Mine is perfectly fine the all of a sudden hits three bars then 4 bars within 30 seconds. When this is going on motor will be 200+ degrees while radiator is

That's weird for sure.

Have you tried replacing the radiator cap? Sometimes they'll go bad (seal)

Also, maybe....... While burping it, after it spews out some, put the cap back on for a while, then burp it again?? 🤷‍♂️ let it circulate a bit under pressure before letting some more air out, maybe worth a shot??

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
sounds maddening......

any history on motor, swamped, rebuilt, etc.?

do you have a heater installed?

assuming no leaks on the floor

no oil in coolant, no coolant in oil?

suggestions

-pressure check coolant system

-pressure check and inspect overflow tank/hose

Reactions: Remington
Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just some bad news, technically if you are burping it properly as mentioned above using elevation and multiple attempts fail leaving you with continued air in the system then you may have a blown head gasket pushing combustion gasses into the coolant system.

advertisement
Chamby1000-5

Chamby1000-5

Feb 10, 2017
South Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just some bad news, technically if you are burping it properly as mentioned above using elevation and multiple attempts fail leaving you with continued air in the system then you may have a blown head gasket pushing combustion gasses into the coolant system.

I’ve considered this but haven’t heard of it happening to any other pioneer and I feel like if I did torch the gasket it would pressurize the system at all times and not just randomly, and the complete system isn’t pressurized, when it overheats you can take the rad cap off and it dosent spew out untill you crank it up, then it will blow out and instantly cool down

Chamby1000-5

Chamby1000-5

Feb 10, 2017
South Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
sounds maddening......

any history on motor, swamped, rebuilt, etc.?

do you have a heater installed?

assuming no leaks on the floor

no oil in coolant, no coolant in oil?

suggestions

-pressure check coolant system

-pressure check and inspect overflow tank/hose

Yeah really stumped talked to about 20 dealers just to see if they have had one with similar problems or one that has lifted the head but not a single one has had anything like it. I’m going to pressure test it when I get time, but the entire system is not pressurized, when this happens and it overheats I can take the rad cap off and it doesn’t blow coolant out until I crank it up, so the radiator itself isn’t pressurized. That’s what is baffling me if the entire system would be pressurized I would have a good idea, or if it did all the time but it will idle all day with no problems. I’ve drove 20+miles then worked the s*** out of it pulling trees and didn’t move over two bars then all of sudden while just easing thru a trail it jumps from 2 bars to 4 and I take the cap off crank it over and it’s right back to 2 bars. Blows my mind

Chamby1000-5

Chamby1000-5

Feb 10, 2017
South Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Maybe the thermostat is not opening.

Thought it might be a problem as well so took it completely out to no avail, still overheats and it not from water circulating to fast, as I have mentioned when this happens the motor will be 200 us degrees and the radiator be 80 degrees at the inlet. One of the first things I tried after burping didn’t work, also because it has a lower temp thermostat than stock thought it might have issues but didn’t change anything other than water constantly flows now

Chamby1000-5

Chamby1000-5

Feb 10, 2017
South Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's weird for sure.

Have you tried replacing the radiator cap? Sometimes they'll go bad (seal)

Also, maybe....... While burping it, after it spews out some, put the cap back on for a while, then burp it again?? let it circulate a bit under pressure before letting some more air out, maybe worth a shot??

Thought I might replace cap but was thinking if the seal went bad then it would vent all the time and not allow the system to pressurize at all and also since the entire system isn’t pressurized didn’t think it was the issue

bigshoe

bigshoe

Aug 17, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Try a coolant vacuum, I don't mess around trying to burp any more. 5 min and done with vacuum. the tool sucks air out replaces it with coolant. also it will tell u if u have a leak or head gasket blown it won't pull any vacuum if there's a leak

Chamby1000-5

Chamby1000-5

Feb 10, 2017
South Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Try a coolant vacuum, I don't mess around trying to burp any more. 5 min and done with vacuum. the tool sucks air out replaces it with coolant. also it will tell u if u have a leak or head gasket blown it won't pull any vacuum if there's a leak

10–4 I’ll look into picking one up. thanks

Chamby1000-5

Chamby1000-5

Feb 10, 2017
South Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Failed water pump?

It flows fine at all times except when overheating, but as soon as you take rad cap off it flows just fine so unless it can intermittently work I think the water pump is okay. Like I’ve said it will idle all day and ride for a long time before this happens. Plenty of time for it to overheat if it was not flowing

Reactions: Sbdozer

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Is your radiator fan running when it overheats? May be an intermittent fan problem. I've heard of this happening and a computer reflash seems to solve it. Or possibly the fan relay going bad and working intermittently.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!