BOX1

Pioneer 1000 Clutch Issues

M

Martens_R

Jan 26, 2018
Bay City, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
As many of you know Honda had a general recall on clutches a few years back. My Pioneer 1000-5 SxS had that service performed and was back in business in no time. However, 500 miles later the clutch burned out. Poor clutch design? Poor service/set up? Neither American Honda Motorsport customer service nor the dealer are taking ownership for a clutch that burned out under light duty miles, 1700 total. Honda says "...this is a normal wear part and we can not cover any claims..."
I have always been a Honda guy from enduro bikes to a Big Bed, Foretrax and now my Pioneer. If Honda does not stand behind a unit that costs as much as most cars, with low miles, then what good is that. Their reputation and the Honda name is not only tarnished for me but is trashed. I can not endorse or continue to support Honda as a brand if they can not stand behind their product or authorized service dealer. I even asked for just parts and I pay labor. $1300 later....NO.

Too bad, it was a good run Honda. Ill be getting a Polaris next.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
As many of you know Honda had a general recall on clutches a few years back. My Pioneer 1000-5 SxS had that service performed and was back in business in no time. However, 500 miles later the clutch burned out. Poor clutch design? Poor service/set up? Neither American Honda Motorsport customer service nor the dealer are taking ownership for a clutch that burned out under light duty miles, 1700 total. Honda says "...this is a normal wear part and we can not cover any claims..."
I have always been a Honda guy from enduro bikes to a Big Bed, Foretrax and now my Pioneer. If Honda does not stand behind a unit that costs as much as most cars, with low miles, then what good is that. Their reputation and the Honda name is not only tarnished for me but is trashed. I can not endorse or continue to support Honda as a brand if they can not stand behind their product or authorized service dealer. I even asked for just parts and I pay labor. $1300 later....NO.

What size tires are you running? Do you pull or haul a lot?

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've got 5k on my R-1-3-5 clutch pack, after replacing it at 2500 because the previous owner burned it up. I don't expect to be replacing it for a long time yet. The 2-4-6 pack is still original.

Clutches wear based on how they're used.

Todd627

Todd627

HondaSxS Club Stress Management Director
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI
Hey @Martens_R, sorry to hear about the clutch issue and lack of support from your dealer and Honda. If you are going to sell the Pioneer send me a PM with the info.

M

Martens_R

Jan 26, 2018
Bay City, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What size tires are you running? Do you pull or haul a lot?
Standard OEM tire and I only run manicured trails. i dont even do serious off-roading. Thats why I said "light duty". The only real pulling I do is with a plot master for my food plot. I do that in low.

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5

More than likely, the dealer screwed up the recall work up. It is pathetic Honda did not cover it. I don't blame you for being pissed, but Honda today is not of the same quality of 20-40 yrs ago. That being said, being pissed I understand BUT getting a Polaris ....... lol ..... that is sheer stupidity if you are wanting reliability!

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
You're frustrated with Honda.... I get that....I've been there.....trust me. But, do yourself a favor, calm down and have some patience. If not.....be sure to check back with us and let us know how that Polaris works out for you, LOL!!!

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand

It sounds to me like dealer issue, but the fact that Honda won't help you is bulls***.

I got tired of waiting for a new Honda, plus all the complaints about build quality recently.

I decided to go with a Yamaha Wolverine X2.

It's only been a few weeks and a few hours but this thing is impressive in every way so far.

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5

My wifes clutch burned up on hers before we made the first payment. $1339 at the dealer. A year later it burned up again. I bought both clutches and all the oil change stuff for about $750. Tore into it and one clutch was burned, the other was fine. I put both new clutches in and saved the used good clutch on the shelf in the shed for next time. It took about 3 hours total. The hardest part was taking the bed off and on. I wont take it off next time and probably save an hour. Polaris=Garbage. You will have more problems with a Poooolaris than with your P1000 for sure. Good luck to you.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!