Pioneer 1k vs talon diffon diff

Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Just out of curiosity, has anyone seen the actual differences between the pioneer 1k and talon differentials, besides the slight difference in ratios?

Axle spline count and size? Pinion size?

Been day dreaming about about selectable lockers front and rear on my Talon, and was just wondering if they are similar at all.

Edit: man did I butcher the title

Last edited:
Reactions: BWAF and Mudwing
Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Very similar if memory serves me right when I looked them up on babbits

Never heard of that site before. Looks like you can get a complete rear diff for $400 and a front for $370. Way less than I would have expected.

Still no way to look up spline count or any of that.

Reactions: BWAF
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Never heard of that site before. Looks like you can get a complete rear diff for $400 and a front for $370. Way less than I would have expected.

Still no way to look up spline count or any of that.
Babbits is just another multiline dealer, they're located in Muskegon MI. I used to deal with them during my motocross days when I lived in W Mich. They went all in with the online stuff and bought up a lot of domain names.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I just looked again, its the differential assembly it's self, not the entire unit. I figured it was too good to be true :(
Keep at it..... that's how I came up with & found the parts for the P500 gear mod. I looked over part schematics for months to find the right combination.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wouldn’t the talons be different for I4WD? Probably similar to the LE

Reactions: 906UP
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Wouldn’t the talons be different for I4WD? Probably similar to the LE
You're probably right, I haven't looked into it, I'm pretty satisfied with the i4wd so I haven't given it much thought. I'll do some checking when I get back from dinner, I'm willing to bet the case, aside from sensor holes, is the same across the P1K/Talon line but the actuator that engages the front drive shaft is different for the i4wd.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!