Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Find a fix yet @Sanders711 ?

C

clancy3rz

Mar 9, 2015
I turn the key to run position on my pioneer 500 and the lights in the dash doesn’t come on. But when I turn it between off and run the lights come on any thoughts?
Agree with rocmar. Had same issue with mine. Battery connections were slightly loose, which in turn allowed corrosion to form on terminals that was not visible until connections broken completely apart. Polished both battery terminals and cable eyelets with emory cloth until all metal was bright. Added a little dielectric grease and snugged fittings firmly. Year plus later and no reoccurrence!

S

SimonA

Sep 17, 2021
New Zealand
Ownership

1. 500
I've experienced just this problem (SXS500) over the last couple of days - turn key to first position, full display as usual, fuel pump starts up, check lights working, yes - on, then off - then attempt to start .... click from somewhere around the battery (?), screen goes completely blank, lights won't come on; everything dead. Disconnect battery (earth lead), wait ten minutes, reconnect, all looking good, screen working etc., but exactly the same result. Eventually followed the advice above and connected a backup battery to the existing battery and, voila, everything burst into life. So I popped into town and bought a brand new equivalent, optimistically screwed both terminals on tight, re-installed the cover, and away she went, and has been absolutely fine since ...... I've never seen a battery fail in this way (and my meter shows 12.65 volts even now). Battery was a Yasuda made in USA, but the original I think (2016), and clearly had developed some internal fault (?). So no problem with the machine itself, which, apart from a starter motor replacement (thanks to this forum for installation guidance), has been faultless. Bought secondhand at auction, sight unseen; foolish perhaps, but relatively inexpensive!

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
I've experienced just this problem (SXS500) over the last couple of days - turn key to first position, full display as usual, fuel pump starts up, check lights working, yes - on, then off - then attempt to start .... click from somewhere around the battery (?), screen goes completely blank, lights won't come on; everything dead. Disconnect battery (earth lead), wait ten minutes, reconnect, all looking good, screen working etc., but exactly the same result. Eventually followed the advice above and connected a backup battery to the existing battery and, voila, everything burst into life. So I popped into town and bought a brand new equivalent, optimistically screwed both terminals on tight, re-installed the cover, and away she went, and has been absolutely fine since ...... I've never seen a battery fail in this way (and my meter shows 12.65 volts even now). Battery was a Yasuda made in USA, but the original I think (2016), and clearly had developed some internal fault (?). So no problem with the machine itself, which, apart from a starter motor replacement (thanks to this forum for installation guidance), has been faultless. Bought secondhand at auction, sight unseen; foolish perhaps, but relatively inexpensive!
May be a coincidence but I just had a failure of my P500 Yuasa battery after one year. Used a Cteck smart charger to maintain it and my other powersports/tractor/zero turn batteries which are all ok. Always showed good voltage on dash voltmeter but failed load test and charging attempts.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
May be a coincidence but I just had a failure of my P500 Yuasa battery after one year. Used a Cteck smart charger to maintain it and my other powersports/tractor/zero turn batteries which are all ok. Always showed good voltage on dash voltmeter but failed load test and charging attempts.
Sounds like you have a drain either way?

S

SimonA

Sep 17, 2021
New Zealand
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks Mudder. Of course it was a Yuasa that failed .... not sure where I got Yasuda from! Only 1 extra letter ....

And Smitty135 - is there a way to test for a drain? I'm not sure there is a drain present ... the replacement battery has behaved well so far (only a week though), and the old battery had performed perfectly until that day, but I guess something may have "happened" to create a short of some kind, possibly through the ignition switch?

My view though is that, because the old battery would come back to life after reconnection, but failed under load, it was time for replacement .... time will tell. Meanwhile, it does need to start every day (no doubt true for all of us), and, at the moment, that's the result.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!