P500 Pioneer 500 LE - Would you buy one?

Pioneer 500 LE - Would you buy one?

• Yes

Votes: 18 54.5%
  • No

Votes: 15 45.5%

• Total voters
W

WillB

May 29, 2017
Churchill,Ontario
Yes, in a heartbeat. If the P500 were not so comfortable, id buy a rubi 500 Le.
So, just for arguments sake, lets assume Honda would offer a Pioneer 500 LE that had desired features already present in the TRX500 Rubicon LE. This already has 90% the same powertrain so lets add to the P5 what we still want, such as:

*Power Steering

*Clutch Automatic Transmission Five-speed automatic dual-clutch transmission with reverse

*Driveline Direct front and rear driveshafts with
TraxLok® and locking front differential

*Improved suspension travel,
Front Suspension Independent double- wishbone; 7.28 inches travel (P500 regular-5.9")
Rear Suspension Independent dual-arm; 8.46 inches travel (P500 regular-5.9")

*Larger tires 26x9x12 radial front / 26x11x12 radial rear.

* Front & Rear bumpers included

* Full skidplates and A-arm covers included

* LED headlights

Would you be interested in this 50" machine with the above features at an $10,999-$11,499 MSRP pricepoint?

Reactions: JWB and Dp5hunter
C

cjr4497

Jun 19, 2015
i have a 2016 rubicon dct deluxe and love it. i wanted a SxS but the P700 and P1000 were just too big and i have wanted the P500 since it came out. i passed on the p500 due to the lack of a locking front diff. if they ever add it i will buy one.

B

Broncbob

Jul 2, 2017
Utah
Ownership

1. 500
I have had my 17 for 100 miles now, and this is what I think Honda could do better.

A rear rack with stake pockets to add panels to make a box when wanted.

Power steering option. I can muscle it around, but my older aunt and uncle would have issues. I may add it at some point.

26" tires from the factory. I have a hard time taking off perfectly good tires.

A higher air intake point. I don't ride water, I'm more worried about the amount of dust the intake pulls in.

If Honda isn't going to do a locking front diff, where is the Aftermarket? I probably wouldn't use it 99.9% of the time, but I'd like the option.

moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Power.......
fitting in pick up bed..
big plus.for those that own
a p5...
p5..not purchased...for power..
Power...with a flawed clutch..
means....NO POWER..
never a mechanical issue
with p5.....
NEVER
In all fairness roc, there are 100 guys here with a 1k with absolutely no issues to every one that fries a clutch, and half of those are admittedly self inflicted. I definitely see your point, if it ain't broke.... But I think I would consider a p500 le model with some of the mentioned upgrades as a plow vehicle/spare ride for family kinda buggy. I'd be in at 9499.

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
In all fairness roc, there are 100 guys here with a 1k with absolutely no issues to every one that fries a clutch, and half of those are admittedly self inflicted. I definitely see your point, if it ain't broke.... But I think I would consider a p500 le model with some of the mentioned upgrades as a plow vehicle/spare ride for family kinda buggy. I'd be in at 9499.
I hear ya..
not one....ONE
P5...has a mechanical problem
I'm speaking..on my concerns...I ride
40 miles into the desert...in my p5
I know I'm getting home...there's no
certain way to drive this goat...no can't do this...oh don't do that
...1k is for you..that's kool...
auto....not that great on newer p5
shifts when not needed..
paddles shifters..my style......
everybody got there own deal...
I've read about 1k..there's problems..honda admits that
how ever minumal you wanna make um...
there...there.
& for the $ they cost....
I'm not just dogging 1k..I've spoke I've read
talked with owners...dealers..you ain't had
problems..that's great....
there sales compared to other models
& brands....says alot...

Reactions: JWB and Dp5hunter
rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500

2 guys I know of..went from P5
to 1k....both smoked clutch...
does that mean...you can't drive
the 1k....as hard as the p5.....
I feel..that's a pretty good Question! ! !
not dogging no one. .just saying the truth

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Forgot to tell ya....
check your mail...monday
Ride Safe

Shadesmn

Shadesmn

Lifetime Member
Aug 19, 2015
Ramsey, MN
Ownership

1. 500
I use mine on the ranch and am very happy with it. The only thing I would like is BETTER SHOCKS and a little more leg room but I dont know where it would come from. I would have hated a bed. I LOVE the rack!!! It gave me the ability to build a box to suit my needs!!!
You can gain about 2-3" legroom with a bucket seat mod. Seats are a bit taller on the base so you sit a couple inches higher from the floor.

Miss_Oak

Miss_Oak

Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2016
California
Ownership

1. 500
You can gain about 2-3" legroom with a bucket seat mod. Seats are a bit taller on the base so you sit a couple inches higher from the floor.

Ahhh nice! Thats good to know! Thanks @Shadesmn :)

Reactions: Dp5hunter
JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
So, just for arguments sake, lets assume Honda would offer a Pioneer 500 LE that had desired features already present in the TRX500 Rubicon LE. This already has 90% the same powertrain so lets add to the P5 what we still want, such as:

*Power Steering

*Clutch Automatic Transmission Five-speed automatic dual-clutch transmission with reverse

Front Suspension Independent double- wishbone; 7.28 inches travel (P500 regular-5.9")

* LED headlights

Would you be interested in this 50" machine with the above features at an $10,999-$11,499 MSRP pricepoint?

Now that I have mine, would I replace it with an LE- no. Because-
My suspension travel- 9" rear, 11" front, totally adjustable from drivers seat.
Larger tires- same as listed.
Full width aluminum skids with lexan a-arm covers- Check
Auto locking front diff- soon, thanks to Torq-Masters industries- No thanks to Honda.
My head lights seem perfectly adequate for ME
5 speed geared trans w/paddle shifters-Check
Power steering- Check
Winch-Check
Higher intake point- snorkel kit- Check

If that LE model had been available when I was originally looking, that's what I would have now. The front locker should never have been omitted on the P500

Last edited:
advertisement
JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
I have had my 17 for 100 miles now, and this is what I think Honda could do better.

A rear rack with stake pockets to add panels to make a box when wanted.

Power steering option. I can muscle it around, but my older aunt and uncle would have issues. I may add it at some point.

26" tires from the factory. I have a hard time taking off perfectly good tires.

A higher air intake point. I don't ride water, I'm more worried about the amount of dust the intake pulls in.

If Honda isn't going to do a locking front diff, where is the Aftermarket? I probably wouldn't use it 99.9% of the time, but I'd like the option.
Torqmasters.com- auto locker coming soon!!

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Like the changes on the 2017 for the $500 increase for manual and AT, etc. Power steering and front locker should have been an option, but I've added the power steering myself (easy job) and looking forward to comments on the front locker. With that said, thinking $400 more for each option of locker and PS would be OK. A (2016) base with front locker would sell and beat the price of others. Nice to have such a dependable machine out on the trails.

Last edited:
JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Didn't see the low range mentioned. I think the DCT quad has a low range due to the close ratio gears. The locker and low range would make me upgrade. The 500 is hard to abuse due to the super low gearing.
Forgot about that! Yes, if they made that available, that would have me trading up.

M

Mlaz81

Dec 24, 2017
Madison OH
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
I would have paid just about anything to get the 500 with power steering, a locking front diff, and turf mode. Those features would have made it the perfect trail/work machine.

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500

*Power Steering

* LED headlights

I'm a little ticked-off at Honda about this right now, so I have to throw in this, let's say, 'reality check'
CF-MOTO Z-Force 800 Trail EPS. CFMOTO ZFORCE 800 EPS Trail Side by Side ATVs | Specs + Features
Now after looking at all the 'standard features' on that machine, (let alone the price) what is Honda's excuse for not even making those features available? I repeat again, I was 'cash in hand' ready to spend $16k on a wildcat till I saw the horrible reviews. The cfmoto's reviews are stellar compared to AC. I was not price shopping- I wanted a 50" machine. Fortunately for Honda, I didn't see the cfmoto first.... When I saw the paddle shifted 5 speed trans on the Honda- and already knowing Honda's reputation for durability- I bought the Honda knowing full well I was going to spend more on accessories and personalization- I would/will do that to any machine. Now that I've become hooked on trail riding, and have more group rides in the future, I may have to buy a second machine, so where's the savings of buying a 'low price' machine now? If honda doesn't offer something really soon so I can trade up, I promise my next machine will not be a Honda.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!