P500 Pioneer 500 LE - Would you buy one?

Pioneer 500 LE - Would you buy one?

• Yes

Votes: 18 54.5%
  • No

Votes: 15 45.5%

• Total voters
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Agree, the mechanical (non DIY) changes from the factory and covered by warranty would be nice. I prefer to do the minor accessories myself with more aftermarket choices. Honda should buy the metal glove boxes from Chooglin. And by the way, replace those fragile plastic body pins/clips and protect the riders better than that front plastic wheel well/stick magnet. Just venting....

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Leave it alone...
p5. 2015..
best SxS.for the $
..on the market.. blank slate
add wat ya want...
want better..bigger
do so....700/1000
Or other brand..
Grass always looks greener
....trust me..it aint...
For wat I got...for my $
Untouchable. ....FACT::

Mechanically sound....
To me..that A big fu-- in deal.
NO FANCY LETERS...NEEDED
JUST A PIONEER 500
PERIOD::::::

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I might buy a P500 LE, but I know something that I would be MUCH more likely to buy.

A Honda Toenail...

:p(I Joke)

Honda Talon Trail.

Instead of changing up something that seems to work really well, why not try something completely different.

What if we could get a Wildcat/RZR Trail type machine with the P500 Transmission?

Now that, I would think would be a ball to ride in on trails. Longer suspension travel, keep the same width, probably lose the granny low in exchange for a higher top speed (or just use bigger tires).

It would allow Honda to dip a toe into the sport market without committing to a big powerful 1000 and it would fit into the market quite nicely since right now the only real options for a sporty trail machine are "Bought out no support or Junk". Plus it has a nearly bullet proof transmission that is would be super fun to drive. (I miss paddle shifters :( )

It would be nice if it had the lock front diff but not as useful as a better suspension.

So if Honda is reading this, I hope they at least think about it.

Personally I need/want a dumping bed on a SXS for general use, but for a play toy, I don't want a dumping bed, I want something fun like my wife's old Recon. Lightweight, pretty fast, easy to slide and a manual shift that I can ride with my wife instead of making her mad by swiping it from her. :)

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I might buy a P500 LE, but I know something that I would be MUCH more likely to buy.

A Honda Toenail...

:p(I Joke)

Honda Talon Trail.

Instead of changing up something that seems to work really well, why not try something completely different.

What if we could get a Wildcat/RZR Trail type machine with the P500 Transmission?

Now that, I would think would be a ball to ride in on trails. Longer suspension travel, keep the same width, probably lose the granny low in exchange for a higher top speed (or just use bigger tires).

It would allow Honda to dip a toe into the sport market without committing to a big powerful 1000 and it would fit into the market quite nicely since right now the only real options for a sporty trail machine are "Bought out no support or Junk". Plus it has a nearly bullet proof transmission that is would be super fun to drive. (I miss paddle shifters :( )

It would be nice if it had the lock front diff but not as useful as a better suspension.

So if Honda is reading this, I hope they at least think about it.

Personally I need/want a dumping bed on a SXS for general use, but for a play toy, I don't want a dumping bed, I want something fun like my wife's old Recon. Lightweight, pretty fast, easy to slide and a manual shift that I can ride with my wife instead of making her mad by swiping it from her. :)

P5 ain't broke
....don't fix it.
Talon...if real...
= more mechanical problems
for Honda...
Imo...
Past = future
just going by...wat
everyone has witnessed. ...

Reactions: Dp5hunter
rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I'd vote no simply because the capability I seen at the takeover. A lot of tip overs. And big trouble with deep ruts and wash outs. I'd go over a spot and know instantly the 500 wouldn't make it and I was correct.
Stock width...your correct.....
...I'm 58" wide...
I go where I want..
within reason

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Soon 2018 p5
will hit the sales floor...
there changes....since
the birth...2015... ( original )
Very minumal. ..To me...not much
....2018 Pioneer 500 K/S
........KickStand........
Leave it alone.....Honda

Reactions: Dp5hunter
rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I completely get that but the question was, "would you be interested?" And I would not. It is a great machine for some people and if a 50" rig allowed me to do substantially more trails then I would be. I like all the options mentioned, that would make it much closer to my desires.

I don't like how a P500 fits in a 6.5' bed (my truck) and I didn't like my 8' utility trailer and planned to upgrade. Is there times where I wished my P1K was smaller/lighter? Absolutely, it would make winching it, pushing it or otherwise getting it unstuck when I do something dumb much easier. For that price given my local trails I don't think it is worth it when I can get most of those features for the same price in a more powerful unit.

Not saying it's bad. In fact my father is looking to replace his Gator 825i with one because the Gator is too large for his toy hauler. This would be perfect, just not for me.
Power.......
fitting in pick up bed..
big plus.for those that own
a p5...
p5..not purchased...for power..
Power...with a flawed clutch..
means....NO POWER..
never a mechanical issue
with p5.....
NEVER

advertisement
Spellmajr

Spellmajr

Jul 10, 2016
North MS
Ownership

1. 500
Reason I posted this is because last P500 survey went out concentrated on adding a dump bed to P500. Forget that, they got it right first time with the rear rack..

I disagree. They shouldn't make it a standard but more of an option. I know a lot of older people who loved the 500 but went with a popo all because of the dumb bed. Would I like a dump bed? No but I know a lot of people who would. I love the versatility of the back rack system.

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I disagree. They shouldn't make it a standard but more of an option. I know a lot of older people who loved the 500 but went with a popo all because of the dumb bed. Would I like a dump bed? No but I know a lot of people who would. I love the versatility of the back rack system.

this my 1st SxS..always had ATV
...the rear rack...kinda put a little
ATV..in the p5..
as seen on here...alot of good Mod
options..
Some spare tires & tools....
Some...boxes full of Amps/ speakers
Some installed rear seats & canopy. ...
Some Boxes that hold. ..2 1/2... bodies
...if I missed a set up...chime in
....All that =....Honda Pioneer 500
....always get Ya there

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Reading all the comments just points out the current lack of mechanical choices for the SxS lines, for example the 6 versions/mixed combinations of the Rancher ATV offered, like Base unit , 4x4, IRS, ES, AT DCT, Power Steering. Make more options but keep the lower cost base unit (AT added in 2017 at higher cost). Maybe Honda will continue to move in that direction a little faster given the rising SxS popularity, and a good start with the current P500 as a solid machine at a lower price than others..No regrets. At least this forum has done the polling for them! Good thread to read thru @JACKAL , IMO.

Last edited:
rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Read a post...sayin Honda reads these
post..since day one...members been
askin for front locker...Still nothing...
& if so..who the hell ask for...
a pea green color...haha
not dogging those...with it

R

rkwerner

Jun 15, 2017
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Power.......
fitting in pick up bed..
big plus.for those that own
a p5...
p5..not purchased...for power..
Power...with a flawed clutch..
means....NO POWER..
never a mechanical issue
with p5.....
NEVER

Fitting in a pickup is a big plus, however I have a 6.5' bed and while it will fit I'm not comfortable with that much weight on my tailgate. Therefore not a plus for me.

I'm young, dumb and reckless. I like to go fast and get thrown back in the seat. Not that I have to have it but power can be nice.

There are flaws in any machine. I imagine that in a few years these problems in the P1K will be fixed and it will be just as reliable as the P500. However, people will always modify a P1K more than a P500 so there will always be some weak point that will be discovered and broken. It is the way of performance.

I feel for what it is the P500 is a bit underpowered. My uncle has a Ranger 570 and it holds 55 MPH with a less efficient belt driven transmission.

Do I think the P500 is a bad machine. Absolutely not, my dad is looking for a smaller machine and I am pushing him hard in that direction. If I had a lot of 50" trails by me it would have been my first choice. There just isn't a rig that fits everyone, that's a good thing if it were one size fits all there would be less variety and none of these rigs would exist because it would be hard for Honda to jump into a market that is filled with what everyone wants. It would also make the trails, and trash talking less fun.

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Fitting in a pickup is a big plus, however I have a 6.5' bed and while it will fit I'm not comfortable with that much weight on my tailgate. Therefore not a plus for me.

I'm young, dumb and reckless. I like to go fast and get thrown back in the seat. Not that I have to have it but power can be nice.

There are flaws in any machine. I imagine that in a few years these problems in the P1K will be fixed and it will be just as reliable as the P500. However, people will always modify a P1K more than a P500 so there will always be some weak point that will be discovered and broken. It is the way of performance.

I feel for what it is the P500 is a bit underpowered. My uncle has a Ranger 570 and it holds 55 MPH with a less efficient belt driven transmission.

Do I think the P500 is a bad machine. Absolutely not, my dad is looking for a smaller machine and I am pushing him hard in that direction. If I had a lot of 50" trails by me it would have been my first choice. There just isn't a rig that fits everyone, that's a good thing if it were one size fits all there would be less variety and none of these rigs would exist because it would be hard for Honda to jump into a market that is filled with what everyone wants. It would also make the trails, and trash talking less fun.

I'm a trailrider..p5 goes plenty fast
where we ride..
they have tailgate brackets..to support
tailgate..
As for the pk1....
no thanks

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I do kinda take my vote back. Would I ever? Yes. They are probably the best deer hunting rig you can get. At least up in wi. If I had acreage I'd have this or a Kawasaki mule. Just to fill feeders and for pure utility. I've built the 1000 to excel at trails and extreme terrain.

Miss_Oak

Miss_Oak

Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2016
California
Ownership

1. 500
I use mine on the ranch and am very happy with it. The only thing I would like is BETTER SHOCKS and a little more leg room but I dont know where it would come from. I would have hated a bed. I LOVE the rack!!! It gave me the ability to build a box to suit my needs!!!

Last edited:
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Just a note on the DG tailgate supports, post 37. I got the 3 length set and use the shorter ones often for a slight tilt of the tailgate to catch the rear tires, and to haul 12 ft lumber in my 8 ft bed, no worries about stuff sliding out backwards.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!