P500 Pioneer 500 LE - Would you buy one?

Pioneer 500 LE - Would you buy one?

• Yes

Votes: 18 54.5%
  • No

Votes: 15 45.5%

• Total voters
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
So, just for arguments sake, lets assume Honda would offer a Pioneer 500 LE that had desired features already present in the TRX500 Rubicon LE. This already has 90% the same powertrain so lets add to the P5 what we still want, such as:

*Power Steering

*Clutch Automatic Transmission Five-speed automatic dual-clutch transmission with reverse

*Driveline Direct front and rear driveshafts with
TraxLok® and locking front differential

*Improved suspension travel,
Front Suspension Independent double- wishbone; 7.28 inches travel (P500 regular-5.9")
Rear Suspension Independent dual-arm; 8.46 inches travel (P500 regular-5.9")

*Larger tires 26x9x12 radial front / 26x11x12 radial rear.

* Front & Rear bumpers included

* Full skidplates and A-arm covers included

* LED headlights

Would you be interested in this 50" machine with the above features at an $10,999-$11,499 MSRP pricepoint?

R

rkwerner

Jun 15, 2017
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
No, but only because most trails around me are not width restricted. I strongly considered the P500 but as a lot of my use is on my property and yard I really liked the P1K for turf mode. I also paid just under $10k for a new P1K and couldn't justify paying more for a P500 just to ride a few trails that are farther away.

Reactions: JACKAL
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
No, but only because most trails around me are not width restricted. I strongly considered the P500 but as a lot of my use is on my property and yard I really liked the P1K for turf mode. I also paid just under $10k for a new P1K and couldn't justify paying more for a P500 just to ride a few trails that are farther away.

I get that but there is several who have the P500 because of its width, but have voiced wanting many of the features individually above. Remember with a P500 it doesnt need a trailer, fits in most pickups with 6' bed or larger.

Places like Paiute trails in Utah have much of tbe best trails 50" restricted. I suppose it depends on where you ride that would determine having any P500 other than getting into a SxS for under $8K.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
*Clutch Automatic Transmission Five-speed automatic dual-clutch transmission with reverse

Is this the current trans offered on the 2017 P5, with paddle shifters? If it's what they're putting on the P1, no thanks. With everything else listed and a bullet proof tranny, I'd be in at $10,999. And if we're calling it the LE I want that stealth gray color too. With that suspension and a locking diff it would be one BA machine!

C

Chooglin

I voted No

One of the biggest reasons I wouldn't go with a p500 again , is the lack of leg room in the cabin.

Not a real big fan of a dual clutch transmission either.

If I was going to spend that kind of money , I would move up to a larger machine.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Is this the current trans offered on the 2017 P5, with paddle shifters? If it's what they're putting on the P1, no thanks. With everything else listed and a bullet proof tranny, I'd be in at $10,999. And if we're calling it the LE I want that stealth gray color too. With that suspension and a locking diff it would be one BA machine!
Not the same DCT as P1K or 17 P5, its a proven DCT used on Fourtrax Rubicon for several years, no issues.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Impressed with the 2016 Rancher DCT (smooth like a car), other options yes only if competive with aftermarket prices, but no more for their labor based on volume they would make and their ease during factory assembly. Front locking diff from factory likely the most valuable to me. I like aftermarket styles of bumpers/winch mount better than Hondas, i.e., Strongmade. Good post for Honda engineers to monitor!

NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500
I vote no but here is the 500 LE I would vote yes for. Keep everything the same except for the following.

front diff lock
aluminum wheels with 25" tires
A-arm / CV joint guards
$9499.00 msrp

no need for power steering, people like to add the bumpers they like so that would be a waste.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'd vote no simply because the capability I seen at the takeover. A lot of tip overs. And big trouble with deep ruts and wash outs. I'd go over a spot and know instantly the 500 wouldn't make it and I was correct.

advertisement
R

rkwerner

Jun 15, 2017
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I get that but there is several who have the P500 because of its width, but have voiced wanting many of the features individually above. Remember with a P500 it doesnt need a trailer, fits in most pickups with 6' bed or larger.

Places like Paiute trails in Utah have much of tbe best trails 50" restricted. I suppose it depends on where you ride that would determine having any P500 other than getting into a SxS for under $8K.

I completely get that but the question was, "would you be interested?" And I would not. It is a great machine for some people and if a 50" rig allowed me to do substantially more trails then I would be. I like all the options mentioned, that would make it much closer to my desires.

I don't like how a P500 fits in a 6.5' bed (my truck) and I didn't like my 8' utility trailer and planned to upgrade. Is there times where I wished my P1K was smaller/lighter? Absolutely, it would make winching it, pushing it or otherwise getting it unstuck when I do something dumb much easier. For that price given my local trails I don't think it is worth it when I can get most of those features for the same price in a more powerful unit.

Not saying it's bad. In fact my father is looking to replace his Gator 825i with one because the Gator is too large for his toy hauler. This would be perfect, just not for me.

O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
I'd vote yes. Reasoning...I hunt out of state and the smaller machine means lower transportation costs (smaller trailer, only need a 1/2 ton truck, better milage). I've made four hunting trips so far and no regrets. Overall the smaller size has been a plus where and how I'm using it.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
I vote no.
p500 did just fine for me at the take over.
I followed a bunch of P1000s all day for a lot less $.
It dose what I need at a price I can afford.
I'm sure some of the listed features would be nice but at some point it would become an under powered P700 (like all the other P700s).
Besides, Ohio is a 50" state.

I don't need a twin clutch transmission the Foreman paddle shift (or rancher or whatever it came from) works just fine.
No need for more complication or refinement - if I wanted that I would get a HR-V (wait a minute, there's one in the driveway already) .
If you ask me, I'm thinkin the honda engineers actually got this one right.

Edit: there seams to be some inconsistency with the yes / no.
I like p500 as is - meaning NO I would not buy the -LE (except I like the steel blue color).

Last edited:
100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don't have enough time in my P5 to really wish for the other things other than more leg room and a diff lock. I haul with a trailer but I went with the machine because I've been going west these past 7-8 years and want to do more trail riding. Out west seems to have the most 50" OHV trails. It's just the dog and I so...

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Just adding the front locker would be enough for me. I do expect the 2018 500 will have some good upgrades.
Nothing new was indicated at last dealer redline, but there is a difference between nothing indicated and no changes. Just means nothing new was said as of yet. I get why Honda has it as is, best bang for the buck in a sxs. Very versatile, cand do and go everywhere the big boys do, just not as fast.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I vote no.
p500 did just fine for me at the take over.
I followed a bunch of P1000s all day for a lot less $.
It dose what I need at a price I can afford.
I'm sure some of the listed features would be nice but at some point it would become an under powered P700 (like all the other P700s).
Besides, Ohio is a 50" state.

I don't need a twin clutch transmission the Foreman paddle shift (or rancher or whatever it came from) works just fine.
No need for more complication or refinement - if I wanted that I would get a HR-V (wait a minute, there's one in the driveway already) .
If you ask me, I'm thinkin the honda engineers actually got this one right.

Edit: there seams to be some inconsistency with the yes / no.
I like p500 as is - meaning NO I would not buy the -LE (except I like the steel blue color).

I can agree with the tranny as is sans DCT, was just thinking (dangerous eh) that if the powertrain, power steering, & suspension from the rubicon 500 could be applied to the P500 it could add several new features and better specs for little additional investment for components already in use. But if an additional model with more features as above was offered, I would seriously consider upgrading my 2015 P500, but as is it is too versatile to replace with a bigger machine and doubt I could ever buy a new SxS for $7300 again.

xinu

xinu

Jul 2, 2017
Eastern Ontario back country
Ownership

1. 500
If you had a 'Maybe' button I would have pushed that.

I like some of the feature/options you listed. I primarily purchased the P500 because of its size, brand and price. In that order.

*Power steering would be nice but not necessarily needed in my case since it doesn't require much effort for riding I do.

*I wonder why Honda chose the tried and true Foreman ES power package. On first thought I would have picked the Rubi DCT. Perhaps the Foreman's transmission is more robust for this SxS application. No doubt the cost was a major factor.

*Improved suspension travel and damping would be a LE deal maker for me. As well as TraxLok.

*I don't understand why Honda didn't go with LED headlights from the get-go.

*Yes, you would expect front and rear bumpers on a LE version. Maybe protection downstairs as well. At least 25" tires should be on a LE.

*Turf mode would be preferred as well.

I wonder if Honda marketing types are lurking in this forum?

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
If you had a 'Maybe' button I would have pushed that.

I like some of the feature/options you listed. I primarily purchased the P500 because of its size, brand and price. In that order.

*Power steering would be nice but not necessarily needed in my case since it doesn't require much effort for riding I do.

*I wonder why Honda chose the tried and true Foreman ES power package. On first thought I would have picked the Rubi DCT. Perhaps the Foreman's transmission is more robust for this SxS application. No doubt the cost was a major factor.

*Improved suspension travel and damping would be a LE deal maker for me. As well as TraxLok.

*I don't understand why Honda didn't go with LED headlights from the get-go.

*Yes, you would expect front and rear bumpers on a LE version. Maybe protection downstairs as well. At least 25" tires should be on a LE.

*Turf mode would be preferred as well.

I wonder if Honda marketing types are lurking in this forum?

You can be sure there are several at Honda in various departments that pay attention to what is being discussed, good and bad. Reason I posted this is because last P500 survey went out concentrated on adding a dump bed to P500. Forget that, they got it right first time with the rear rack. Just need to evolve it, with locking front diff, better suspension, and tires while maintaining to 50" width. Still offer the base model as is but offer anorher option with better specs, features for those that are willing to spend a bit more on the P500 platform as it fits thier riding and hauling situation best.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I would probably be interested in LE model also. Items important for me would be:

Turf mode
Front diff lock
2-3 more inches suspension
Storage

If it came with these items that would be cool but drive price up:

Front and rear bumpers
Better skids
Power steering
Better/bigger tires
Colored panels
LED lights

I just want Honda to build it with the items that aftermarket doesn't support.
I can add my own bumpers, power steering, tires, shocks, etc. items like differentials and more suspension are more difficult for the "do it yourself" guys.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!