Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
We been looking at getting a new 500 and my wife asked what the rear rack size was and what kind of bed we can install. I looked and found the weight limits but not the bed size? Guessing about 48" wide but if someone knows could tell me that would be a help.
Thank you

Sxsnewbie

Sxsnewbie

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2015
Eastern Connecticut
This is the honda bed. Really durable! I have been throwing wood in it all winter. If measures approximately 48x29x6
It has some slots for you to make cubbies outta 2x4. My wife uses this option when gardening. Hauling pots and small flowers.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    773 KB · Views: 12,190
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    820.5 KB · Views: 5,477
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    764.1 KB · Views: 3,591
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    757.7 KB · Views: 3,605
Sxsnewbie

Sxsnewbie

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2015
Eastern Connecticut
Forgot to mention. It is very sturdy yet easily removable if you would like to go with the stock luggage rack which is also extremely versatile. Hope this helps

Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
THANKS SxSnewbie - I have my Mule FXT for work but my wife is almost on board with me replacing her 1990's Mule 500 with a new Pioneer 500 and is concerned with how it will work for gardening and such so your answer is spot on and helpful! THANKS

Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
I could use a favor - would someone measure the exact length, width of the rear rack for me. We are going to be buying ours in a few weeks (waiting for it to come in) and I would like to start making a bed for my wife so I can have it together when we get it.
THANKS

D

dogman

Feb 9, 2015
Mine is 29 & 3/4" x 46". The ROPS tilts backwards, so if you make the front vertical, you could have interference if it is very tall. I'm building one 48" wide with allowance for that.

Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Thanks Dogman - that helps a lot. Sounds like I want to go 48" wide as well. What would you suggest I go on depth to avoid hitting the ROPS (I was thinking about 8-10" tall in the rear with 8" sides)

D

dogman

Feb 9, 2015
I put a T-square on it. 8 & 1/4" (2x8+3/4 plywood) would make you have to move back about 1 & 1/2". Sitting on stock tires, the top of the rack is 38 & 1/2" from the ground. Depending on what you are going to carry, that would be a pretty good lift. You would want a tailgate. I went 48" because I used a piece of 1/2" plywood for a top and back. The piece left over was just the right size for a bed bottom. I'm making the sides from 1" square steel tubing. I will fit it to the back to allow for the angle. I'll post some pics when I get it back together. I have it all off coating the wood with bedliner. There is a post I've seen with a very nice wood bed someone made. I would advise waiting until you get the machine to build your bed. That way you can be sure it fits like you want. You could easily strap a plastic bread tray or something like that on for immediate use for your wife to move flowerpots and stuff. If you use Google images and search for Pioneer 500 bed, you can see all kinds of things folks have done to get ideas. I'm having way more fun customizing mine than I would if I just bought the factory accessories. Saving some $$$ too.

Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Thank you Dogman - I appreciate your effort
You make a good point about waiting. She can use the Mule for now if needed.
I really appreciate the information and measurements. Think I am going to start collecting all the parts in the mean time.
I was thinking about using marine grade wood (or perhaps treks decking) then bed linnering the entire thing. By the time I am done I will have the cost of the Honda tray in it but could have it totally customized for our uses so it would be worth it.
Also thinking I may want to find some of the Honda "clips" they use for mounting the plastic beds and use them for quick changes...

feetpiece

feetpiece

May 10, 2015
I had a sheet of 1/4" HDPE cut to 50"x36" which gives me a lip on either side and extends over the rear ~6". It's a little on the heavy side and I'm considering cutting out some of the center to lighten the load.

I haven't settled on a mounting solution since I'd like to be able to remove it w/o too much fuss or tools. Four of these mounted to the bottom might do the trick: https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Cargo-Control/Quick-Fist/QF30050.html

QF30050 30 1000

At some point I might fab/cut something for the sides.

Richd

Richd

Jul 15, 2017
Vallejo,CA
Ownership

1. 500
Looks good! I'd do the same but here in California the regulations don't allow for "non OEM" additions to a UTV in regards to passengers. I'll bet that works out real well though for taking extra people with you in the "real world". The kids will love it I'm sure. I think the length is fine for most types of riding around and sure gives you a lot of cargo space.

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
What do you think the weight capacity is with the seat folded down to made a utility bed?
I had the same flip set on a golf cart a few years ago, and know it is build solid, so I suspect you can "load" it up easily with 500-600 lbs (not advising that however) but no problem handling 2-3 people or flipped with similar level of weight. However, 2-3 people hanging that far off the back will be hand full steering and likewise going up any hills, etc.

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
Those two sticks shown in the first picture are where the 14" was added.
Rear rack1

S

Space_Tex

Feb 25, 2018
Houston,TX
Ownership

1. 500
I had the same flip set on a golf cart a few years ago, and know it is build solid, so I suspect you can "load" it up easily with 500-600 lbs (not advising that however) but no problem handling 2-3 people or flipped with similar level of weight. However, 2-3 people hanging that far off the back will be hand full steering and likewise going up any hills, etc.
Good thought on the steering with a couple people hanging off the back. I saw a company of ebay selling a custom flip seat made for the Pioneer 500 but they want about three times as much as the club car seat is. I think it was called Grizzley Seats

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!