TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The heat on my new 2018 1000-5 is extreme. I've heard that Honda has a free "fix" but I'm sure I'll be adding some sort of fan-driven engine compartment heat exhaust mechanism. This thing is far to hot to be comfortable - especially when using is for some sort of task like hauling firewood from our forest.
The 2018s already have the heat fix which doesn't do a whole lot.

N

Natb18LE

Sep 4, 2018
Boone North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
2 Questions if you could all weigh in. I am looking for actual numbers.

1- How many of you feel that the cabin heat is excessive to the point that you purchased and installed aftermarket Heat Shielding? And or fans?

2- How many of you have had an actual boil over while riding?

Sorry I don't know how to set up a proper survey. If someone could help that would be great.
The heat in the cab is horrible

EagleEye

EagleEye

Sep 5, 2017
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
2 Questions if you could all weigh in. I am looking for actual numbers.

1- How many of you feel that the cabin heat is excessive to the point that you purchased and installed aftermarket Heat Shielding? And or fans?

2- How many of you have had an actual boil over while riding?

Sorry I don't know how to set up a proper survey. If someone could help that would be great.
When I took my 2017 P1K-5 in for a number of recalls, the dealer put in extra shielding that helped. The hottest spot, is the middle front. Otherwise, it is not an issue. I have just the wind deflector, not the whole windshield. The heat is great during the winter.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The heat on my new 2018 1000-5 is extreme. I've heard that Honda has a free "fix" but I'm sure I'll be adding some sort of fan-driven engine compartment heat exhaust mechanism. This thing is far to hot to be comfortable - especially when using is for some sort of task like hauling firewood from our forest.
Skip the Honda fix and save you the castle! Been there done that!

Redmoon

Redmoon

Feb 21, 2019
Prescott Az.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If it's a 2018 it's already done. When you take your seat off it's the little thin black rubber mat.
Like REALLY thin! These are Honda engineers with degrees and this is the best solution that they could come up with.

clifforeilly

clifforeilly

WFOSXS.com
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Oct 22, 2018
Goodhue MN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
5110CE03 FA9A 4F05 BC30 98E310DDFEDD
22656E26 56DA 49F3 A49A 9D952580240E
40CF5DCF 3588 48E0 9971 AECD07C13EC3
D698CC93 9119 48C3 9955 19F9BF8C1B8D
This is what I’m trying. E0B2FA2B 8F28 48AA B174 F42AB6416672

clifforeilly

clifforeilly

WFOSXS.com
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Oct 22, 2018
Goodhue MN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Insulation
Fingers crossed on the heat reduction ? Already know the insulating helps , pretty sure the fan is also helping .

Last edited:
N

Natb18LE

Sep 4, 2018
Boone North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Fingers crossed on the heat reduction ? Already know the insulting helps , pretty sure the fan is also helping .
Let me know if it really helps and is worth the time and money you would think as much as they cost we would not have to worry about anything but where we are going riding next

Reactions: clifforeilly
clifforeilly

clifforeilly

WFOSXS.com
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Oct 22, 2018
Goodhue MN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Let me know if it really helps and is worth the time and money you would think as much as they cost we would not have to worry about anything but where we are going riding next

Fan is reversible also , hoping to blow heat in in the winter . Going on a trip this week to test out.

Redmoon

Redmoon

Feb 21, 2019
Prescott Az.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
View attachment 139240 Fingers crossed on the heat reduction ? Already know the insulating helps , pretty sure the fan is also helping .
Thats the product that I used. It helped a lot. Rode yesterday evening for a bit Temp. above 90 deg. noticed heat between seat and seat back but it was tolerable. Next will be the fan to push the hot air out of the engine compartment for rides on days like that.

zmnypit

zmnypit

Oct 20, 2017
alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The most noticeable mod for me was adding the big gun tfi power box. I added it to try and remedy another issue I was having in the past with a crazy idle but the past few times we've rode I've noticed little to no heat in the cab. Before I was cutting my under seat fan on almost immediately once on the trails. Last two outings in the high 80s low 90s I never cut the fan on.

Cal

Cal

Apr 15, 2018
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine is a '17 with all of the latest recalls performed. The heat gets excessive in hot weather. I do a lot of trail riding on tight trails, slow speeds, Low Range is used often. The heat isn't bad at all on my thighs and up, but there is a lot of heat down by our feat and the back of our calves when at those slow speeds. My friend lays a foil sheet under his seat (like some of you have), but I feel my heat issue is too low for that (low like by my feet). I do like the idea of adding a fan.

Location: Central MN; 80 to 100 degrees with tropical humidity at times in the summer; 20 to -20 degrees with -40 wind chill at times in the winter (I don't use it when it gets that cold)

Last edited:
clifforeilly

clifforeilly

WFOSXS.com
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Oct 22, 2018
Goodhue MN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I believe it helped . Rode Northern MN this last week. Temps in the mid 80s. When going slow (30 and under) had the windshield flipped all the way open. There was noticeable heat by your feet with the fan off, turn the fan on and you could feel the cool air being pulled in around your lower legs. When going faster (45 and over) with the windshield cracked open and fan on never got uncomfortable. Wife rode in the middle seat and said it was a big improvement.

At one point we had it filled up with 5 people and I rode in the back. I do not really know if the fan blowing made it hotter in the back seat or not as I have not rode back there much. I can say it was warmer than the front but not uncomfortable.

All in all I think it is a good mod, but mind you the temps were only in the mid 80s. I'm going to look into adding heat shielding for the back seating area also. Maybe even more fans inside the cabin that blow air on your upper body when going really slow.

Wished I had the reverse switch hooked up, one night we went out for a short ride and it was about 55 degrees, could have tested to see how well it would have worked as a heater.

clifforeilly

clifforeilly

WFOSXS.com
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Oct 22, 2018
Goodhue MN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine is a '17 with all of the latest recalls performed. The heat gets excessive in hot weather. I do a lot of trail riding on tight trails, slow speeds, Low Range is used often. The heat isn't bad at all on my thighs and up, but there is a lot of heat down by our feat and the back of our calves when at those slow speeds. My friend lays a foil sheet under his seat (like some of you have), but I feel my heat issue is too low for that. I do like the idea of adding a fan.

Location: Central MN; 80 to 100 degrees with tropical humidity at times in the summer; 20 to -20 degrees with -40 wind chill at times in the winter (I don't use it when it gets that cold)

Hello fellow Minnesotan. Where have you been riding in our great state ? Any recommendations ?

I have a cabin in Marcel MN, the new B+B trail out of Big Fork is pretty sweet. Namadgi State Forest is a lot of fun. I didn't think much of Thistle Dew.

L

LScharenbroch

Jun 23, 2019
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. 1000-5
We just bought a 2018 1000-5 a few months ago. We have 1000 miles on it so far and the heat is unbearable when it's 75 degrees outside. We ride for 8 hours at a crack on various trails. After an hour or two the indicator goes to 3 bars and does not go back down to 2. Do any of you in hotter areas have the machine stay at 3 bars for extended periods of time?

We have a 500 and a 700 and have never had heat issues like this. We will be adding additional heat resistant aftermarket material as well as fans. Has anyone used the DEI Auxiliary Fan Kit for the heat? Does it work well?

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Adding cold air scoops into the roof, that you can close help with hot air in the back seat, also removes the negative air pressure that seems to suck the dust in. Some one had pics on here a year or two ago. I copied their idea, $20 on eBay and it was a game changer for my pioneer-5 seater

I just looked for it for way to long I can’t find it on here. I know I posted pics in the hfawfa thread when I did it but it been to long

Last edited:
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!