Pioneer Ride Of The Century Discussion Thread!!!

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is the little guy I'm ordering. It's an Osprey (cool name right there) made by American Tear Drops. The company is in Auburn California and they build them to order. So not like other manufacturers where you pick one off the lot. The base model ( shown in this image) is $4,495 but you can accessories this thing up to 10K lol. I'm going to add the optional spare tire obviously, the diamond plate aluminum tongue box, battery and the 12/110 volt package to it so it will be around 6K. Under 600 lbs. without gear and hopefully not over 800 lbs. with. Undecided at present whether to silicone a small flex solar panel to the roof wired to the battery for daytime charging, or trailer wiring harness connecting up to the Pioneer so that the trailer battery is charged along with the SxS battery.

View attachment 27950
That's sweet, especially the weight. I would have thought it would be heavier.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
This is the little guy I'm ordering. It's an Osprey (cool name right there) made by American Tear Drops. The company is in Auburn California and they build them to order. So not like other manufacturers where you pick one off the lot. The base model ( shown in this image) is $4,495 but you can accessories this thing up to 10K lol. I'm going to add the optional spare tire obviously, the diamond plate aluminum tongue box, battery and the 12/110 volt package to it so it will be around 6K. Under 600 lbs. without gear and hopefully not over 800 lbs. with. Undecided at present whether to silicone a small flex solar panel to the roof wired to the battery for daytime charging, or trailer wiring harness connecting up to the Pioneer so that the trailer battery is charged along with the SxS battery.

View attachment 27950

Hey Monte so you know we towed a pop up trailer with our 700 and it actually did ok. I'm sure it was considerably heavier then that, you definitely knew it was back there especially on hills but she motored on and on the flats was pretty good. That type of style you and Mopar are looking at will be much better even less drag because it's more narrow. Good way to go I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tigermark

Tigermark

Outside looking in.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member

View attachment 27950
Hey, that's pretty cool Monte! That should work great for the expedition.

Manwell

Manwell

Lifetime Member
Jul 12, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5

View attachment 27950
Very cool - looks like fun!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Hey Monte so you know we towed a pop up trailer with our 700 and it actually did ok. I'm sure it was considerably heavier then that, you definitely knew it was back there especially on hills but she motored on and on the flats was pretty good. That type of style you and Mopar are looking at will be much better even less drag because it's more narrow. Good way to go I think.

I believe you're right about that. I'm still concerned about it though. My wife and I have discussed the idea of buying a small tear drop for quit a while, one that could be pulled behind the jeep (even her Prius) or the SxS. We like our primitive camping. So this trip that mopar has conceived of and is producing just made that happen. I should be ordering this one today or tomorrow. The only thing is, I've got to go to Auburn Cali to get it. (Might see if I can get @Tflynn to pick it up and hold it for me, lol) I own three sxs's now and I'm not getting a fourth, so no 1000. And I'm not willing to take the bath that I'd get trading it in A, and 2, I bought the basic 700-2 to leave on my property in NM so that when we're there I have a vehicle to work my property with, and also for riding when we can. I don't need a 1000, and certainly don't need a 15-16K SxS setting up there 6-8 months a year not used.

Last edited:
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
That's sweet, especially the weight. I would have thought it would be heavier.
Yeah me too right. The one in the picture, which as you can see has no spare tire or battery as mine will, is 518 lbs. so I'm figuring 6-625 before gear.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I believe you're right about that. I'm still concerned about it though. My wife and I have discussed the idea of buying a small tear drop for quit a while, one that could be pulled behind the jeep (even her Prius) or the SxS. We like our primitive camping. So this trip that mopar has conceived of and is producing just made that happen. I should be ordering this one today or tomorrow. The only thing is, I've got to go to Auburn Cali to get it. (Might see if I can get @Tflynn to pick it up and hold it for me, lol) I own three sxs's now and I'm not getting a fourth, so no 1000. And I'm not willing to take the bath that I'd get trading it in A, and 2, I bought the basic 700-2 to leave on my property in NM so that when we're there I have a vehicle to work my property with, and also for riding when we can. I don't need a 1000, and certainly don't need a 15-16K SxS setting up there 6-8 months a year not used.

It's funny how things go for so many of us here. One person does something that is just what someone else needed or pushes them to do something they've wanted to do. In this case it's a trailer and a trip into the unknown. This site costs a lot of us money and time but also allows us the satisfaction of doing something cool without too many mistakes and to make some friends along the way.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
It's funny how things go for so many of us here. One person does something that is just what someone else needed or pushes them to do something they've wanted to do. In this case it's a trailer and a trip into the unknown. This site costs a lot of us money and time but also allows us the satisfaction of doing something cool without too many mistakes and to make some friends along the way.

All so true!!!

advertisement
AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sorry about the long talks last night my ol lady and I were having a good night talking about all this. I feel lucky she's as excited to meet and ride with people here as I.

No problem at all brother, it was great talking to you and Mrs CP. First of many conversations I'm sure!

moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The bones of my expedition trailer will be in my garage tomorrow. I'm not usually the gushy gooey feeling type, but this whole trip idea has been one of the more eye opening experiences in my life. All he great people I get to call friends that I may have never actually interacted with on a personal level before.yall are awesome and I hope I can plan an adventure that will live up to all of your expectations.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
The bones of my expedition trailer will be in my garage tomorrow. I'm not usually the gushy gooey feeling type, but this whole trip idea has been one of the more eye opening experiences in my life. All he great people I get to call friends that I may have never actually interacted with on a personal level before.yall are awesome and I hope I can plan an adventure that will live up to all of your expectations.
I completely agree, and the anticipation of everything that's going to transpire in the ensuing 18 months as we develope our plans and ready our equipment freakin keeps you awake at night, lol. Good times, good people!!!!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
You doing ac?
No, because that requires park power, and I'm designing this trailer primarily for primitive camping. I realise that on this expedition you plan a lot of pkg. campgrounds with all the amenities, but I figure the summers that far north arent bad. I'm use to 100+ with crazy humidity. I will have a fan, roof vent and window.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
No, because that requires park power, and I'm designing this trailer primarily for primitive camping. I realise that on this expedition you plan a lot of pkg. campgrounds with all the amenities, but I figure the summers that far north arent bad. I'm use to 100+ with crazy humidity. I will have a fan, roof vent and window.
Honda genny. Our little 2000 can run ac. Did it once and she did great

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Interesting, I've never seen anything like that. Is it just for gear, or can you actually sleep in that somehow.
I guess you could sleep in it, but I wouldn't want to. They are mainly for gear, and packing a 1500lb moose out out of the bush. When you hunt 40 miles from the road packing one out on your back just isn't an option.

advertisement