Pioneer Ride Of The Century Discussion Thread!!!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Likewise CP. Hell, you never know. Trailering down the Alcan to your neck of the woods might be doable sometime in the future. I wouldn't want to jump the hurdles of riding through Canada in the machine.. I don't think they'd appreciate my personal protective devices... lol

I'm pretty sure from the Canadian border get down here. I'm not posting about the last 10-15 miles I think but from Moyie Springs it's doable on very little pavement even.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: AKRider
AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm pretty sure from the Canadian border get down here. I'm not posting about the last 10-15 miles I think but from Moyie Springs it's doable on very little pavement even.

It's the other 1700 that could get a little dicey... lol

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Sacagawea guided Lewis and Clark through the Blackfeet territory and got them over the continental divide at Lemhi Pass, no slackard there. She'll do us well on the expedition, lol.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
We're definitely excited to meet some of you. My turn first see you at the Takeover! That's our obstacle. 4 months away it's going to be awesome. If we can get out of our bubble then anyone can. So many great people here I wish we could all win the lottery and just drive around the countryside where bubbles didn't exist. Excited for this trip too! Wherever and whenever we get a chance to ride with anyone here we will jump. Goodnight all

Last edited:
Reactions: Tigermark
Manwell

Manwell

Lifetime Member
Jul 12, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've done my fair share of endurance type riding, albeit never off road and always on two-wheels... Planning is the key and you have a LOT of time to plan with your ride being so far off. In general people tend to pack way too much stuff, this is an area that needs to be seriously studied and worked on. It's amazing at how little you can get by with - save room for necessities. Good gear? It's just worth it and if ya can't afford the good stuff, ya probably can't really afford the trip. Hydration (water) and eating properly are also very important... I would focus on protein consumption and be very cognisent of sugar that causes insulin spikes and make you sleepy or not as attentive. On my rides I always ate like a bird, a little at a time and often. Alcohol consumption? Not so much until the ride is complete - at least that's how I rolled. But then again, I was running two-wheels at 75+ mph on pavement for multiple 1000+ mile days in a row. Lack of attention could easily kill ya in that game.

I will be following the thread and related adventure for sure!

advertisement
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I've done my fair share of endurance type riding, albeit never off road and always on two-wheels... Planning is the key and you have a LOT of time to plan with your ride being so far off. In general people tend to pack way too much stuff, this is an area that needs to be seriously studied and worked on. It's amazing at how little you can get by with - save room for necessities. Good gear? It's just worth it and if ya can't afford the good stuff, ya probably can't really afford the trip. Hydration (water) and eating properly are also very important... I would focus on protein consumption and be very cognisent of sugar that causes insulin spikes and make you sleepy or not as attentive. On my rides I always ate like a bird, a little at a time and often. Alcohol consumption? Not so much until the ride is complete - at least that's how I rolled. But then again, I was running two-wheels at 75+ mph on pavement for multiple 1000+ mile days in a row. Lack of attention could easily kill ya in that game.

I will be following the thread and related adventure for sure!
Good ideas Man!!!

moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Lets do it! Maybe I need to come to Alaska sometime so we can form a sisterhood. Ill keep you updated on my progress during the trip. A day by day blow on my life as the woman on the trail.
A day by day what? Lol. Now we got trouble long island ice tea and face painting. I can't leave this thread alone in y'all's hands for a second lol!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Sorry about the long talks last night my ol lady and I were having a good night talking about all this. I feel lucky she's as excited to meet and ride with people here as I.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Anyone care to comment on the actual feasibility of that sxs pickup camper thing? Maybe not as elaborate as the one in the picture, but something similar?
Not sure you could make one structurally competent that would be light enough with an interior big enough for a bed, let alone anything else. And then you'd not be able to know if it worked until it was built, mounted and tested. Then what a disappointment if it didn't work after all that. I see a SxS on its side!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
This is the little guy I'm ordering. It's an Osprey (cool name right there) made by American Tear Drops. The company is in Auburn California and they build them to order. So not like other manufacturers where you pick one off the lot. The base model ( shown in this image) is $4,495 but you can accessories this thing up to 10K lol. I'm going to add the optional spare tire obviously, the diamond plate aluminum tongue box, battery and the 12/110 volt package to it so it will be around 6K. Under 600 lbs. without gear and hopefully not over 800 lbs. with. Undecided at present whether to silicone a small flex solar panel to the roof wired to the battery for daytime charging, or trailer wiring harness connecting up to the Pioneer so that the trailer battery is charged along with the SxS battery.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!