Pioneer Stereo - Keep It Simple Method

C

ChadC

Oct 17, 2013
As someone who enjoys music, installing a sound system in the Pioneer is on the top of my list of accessories. I wanted to retain all the headroom in the cab for an overhead gun rack and truthfully minimize the footprint all together. Most of my music will be played from a phone anyway, so I started searching for Bluetooth portable speakers. I ended up purchasing a UE Boom http://www.ultimateears.com/en-us/boomfrom a local store yesterday. The high points of the feature list for me were a water resistant/rubberized shell, Bluetooth compatibility, big sound and an auxiliary input.

As I said, after listening to it and handling it, I made the purchase. Last night I temporarily installed it in a couple locations and found that when clamped to the roll cage bar above the back of the cab, the sound quality is the best. Also, at this position on a 700-4, the roof acts as a reflector to direct all the sound to the front and back seats. The UE Boom was loud enough to hurt my ears while the engine was at idle and it could easily be heard while standing away from the Pioneer. As I revved the engine the music (Old Crow Medicice Show, btw) could still be heard.

I will power the unit with a USB cable that will be run along the roll cage and plugged in to a USB port I plan to install in the glove box. http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030307&p_id=5138&seq=1&format=2 Also, since its a battery powered unit, I can run the speaker without wired power for several hours. I plan on mounting a Quick Fist clamp to hold the speaker in place which will allow me to remove it for other uses away from the Pioneer.http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007HOKW50/?tag=sxsweb24-20

This setup will cost me about $230 when its done, but it will suit my needs perfectly and the speaker can still serve other purposes.

Oh, and for those that want an FM radio option, I think something like this could be used: http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Sansa-Clip-Player-Black/dp/B002MAPT7U/?tag=sxsweb24-20

So add another $35 and you have an mp3 player with FM radio that could easily be stored in the glove box.

I wanted to share this hear for others to take advantage of and to offer feedback.

J

JoeyG

Sep 23, 2013
Sounds cool. Post pics/video after install.

C

ChadC

Oct 17, 2013
OK. I did a quick, semi-permanent installation and am very happy with the results.
[album]748[/album]

[album]747[/album]

[album]746[/album]

I ended up using the larger Quick Fist and have since trimmed it down so it looks cleaner. I tested this while riding over the weekend and everything stays in place very well. Most importantly, it sounds good and takes up no room at all. I have decided that at this point I will not run wires to this location. Instead I will just quickly remove the unit for charging or use outside of the Pioneer and re-install when I want to ride.

Hope this is helpful. All in all this is a great solution for me and very easy to install and use.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Chad, welcome the the community.
Your right that is very simple. This may be my route as well. I do not want something big. I like it the most because it is portable. It can come down and and into the camper in seconds for sound there too. Most of the time I will be playing from my iPod or phone too. FM radio would be great but not a decision factor.

Did U see the dual USB Ports I found and installed?

Thanks for the info.

C

ChadC

Oct 17, 2013
Thanks for the welcome. I saw the USB port and plan to install one. It will be great for charging this unit and all other portable electronics I will bring along.

greenatv

greenatv

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2013
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is a sweet idea. If I ever get a Pioneer this will differently be on the list. Thanks

F

FLMatt

Oct 28, 2013
I have the same speaker and have been either wedging it in the glove box or sticking it in the passenger cup holder. Just using it for yard work so it doesn't bounce around but I may mount it higher like you've done at some point. Great little speaker that puts out surprising sound and lasts hours on a charge.

bfair

bfair

Lifetime Member
Nov 2, 2013
Hondasxs said:
Chad, welcome the the community.
Your right that is very simple. This may be my route as well. I do not want something big. I like it the most because it is portable. It can come down and and into the camper in seconds for sound there too. Most of the time I will be playing from my iPod or phone too. FM radio would be great but not a decision factor.

Did U see the dual USB Ports I found and installed?

Thanks for the info.
If you have a smart phone get the Iheart radio app. You will have all the FM radio you could ever want.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Ya.. I like Pandora better.
Only issue is no single in the boonies. But then I may not have FM either.

I

illuminati

Nov 9, 2013
thanks for the ideas Chad...did you drill the screw into your roll bar?

C

ChadC

Oct 17, 2013
illuminati said:
thanks for the ideas Chad...did you drill the screw into your roll bar?

I used a self drilling screw right into the roll bar. It has stayed in place very well so far. The only more secure way to do it would be to drill through the roll bar completely and through bolt it with a lock nut. I don't see any reason to go that far right now, plus I want to keep holes to a minimum.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Yep, mine is wrapped and under the tree. Wife says I can't have it until then. :-(
oh... I'm not supposed to know what it is. lol.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I though about using the Bose soundlink I already had it's Bluetooth but the cover has to be folded out to use it and I couldn't put in a bag pocket and listen to it. I like the radio you're using just couldn't bring myself to drill a hole in my cage.

I

illuminati

Nov 9, 2013
ohana I beat you to it lol I bought a Bose mini soundlink and incorporated Chads ideas and made this..works awesome!! I used a heavy duty zip tie to hold the clamps to the case.. I just went with the simple route mounting the clamps with a ziptie...the thing makes awesome sound!! everyone was impressed $260 total

400575_760432817303613_1624247383_n.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D5Q ... UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D42 ... UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CQ ... UTF8&psc=1

pipefighter577

pipefighter577

Nov 20, 2013
Ohio
I shared these pics in the clamps thread but thought I'd share em here too. I have the clamps painted and the wires routed and zip tied now. The speakers are Boss brand not the expensive Bose but sound really good.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1386946310981.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1386946310981.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 1,095
  • uploadfromtaptalk1386946373830.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1386946373830.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 1,088
  • uploadfromtaptalk1386946413723.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1386946413723.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 1,119
  • uploadfromtaptalk1386946482728.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1386946482728.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 1,138
Reactions: James connolly

2thpir8

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2013
NC
I recently just heard of tractor tunes. It's pricey, but when i get my p4 (in the next few months) I plan on having it for a very long time. That may be what i go with. They have diff options you can choose as far as adding a dome light (that'll kill two birds with one stone) and bluetooth/sirius/aux capabilities. May change my mind in the future but that is probably what i'll go with. Can mount to hard top with seal washers or come with mounting brackets with no top or soft top.

http://tractortunes.com/stereos/utv-sid ... ereos.html

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!