lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
So I have followed this thread for a while.
Never thought too much about it till I saw a vlog talking about building an overlanding rig.
Guy suggested making a list with three categories, must, want and would be nice.
Sounded like a good idea to organize and conquer my build.

Some of the stuff I want is specific based on what I want.
Don't bother trying to talk me off the cliff with cheaper alternatives.
(Not hanging a Badland winch on my SxS)

Must:
  • winch (WARN) with Honda mount.
  • front locker (TORQ locker)
  • flip up windshield (Super ATV)
  • roof (Honda)
  • Honda cargo tray (wife wants this, she is convinced the engineer that made this was a genius so its a must item).
  • tires (Bighorns)
  • skid plate (Honda aluminum or Rickochett)
  • side skid/rock slider (Rickochett)
  • Helmets (Simpson OTW shorty)
Want:
  • Shocks (Walker Evans)
  • back panel (Honda soft panel)
  • Lights (Talon leds)
  • Cargo box (not sure, ammo boxes or some plastic box?)
  • Jack (36" Hi-Lift to flip it back up on the wheels when riding alone)
  • spare (front stock tire?)
  • glove box (choog box or roll my own?)
Nice:
  • doors
  • snow plow
  • soft cover (Honda - to cover the vehicle while inside the trailer so we don't get dirty living in the trailer traveling across the country)
  • grab/accessory bar (probably have to roll my own but I like what @Hondasxs has)
  • Radio (Bofang)
So that should about cover it, maybe make another list for my truck and one for my toy hauler build.
Oh but wait. There's more.
Just for fun I added a column (yes I did this in excel) for a rough cost.
Some items i already have so no additional cost.

Must:
$3100
Want:
$2050
Nice:
$770
Grand total = $5920
(It was during this phase that I moved the shocks from must to want, looks more balanced).

Holy cow - why didn't you guys warn me this s*** was too expensive before I got started?
When I was in high school my mom would lecture me about how I should be doing my homework and not in the garage fooling with my dirt bikes - you'll never make a living like your father playing with that stuff (Japanese tiger mom in case you didn't know already).
She should have warned me that I would go broke even at the 'entry level' end of the spectrum.

I'ma thinking we will be doing some pretty stock rides for a while.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Never thought too much about it till I saw a vlog talking about building an overlanding rig.
Guy suggested making a list with three categories, must, want and would be nice.

Must:
  • roof (Honda)
  • Honda cargo tray (wife wants this, she is convinced the engineer that made this was a genius so its a must item).
  • tires (Bighorns)
Want:
  • Shocks (Walker Evans)
  • Lights (Talon leds)
Nice:
  • doors
  • snow plow
  • soft cover (Honda - to cover the vehicle while inside the trailer so we don't get dirty living in the trailer traveling across the country)
  • grab/accessory bar (probably have to roll my own but I like what @Hondasxs has)
  • Radio (Bofang)
So that should about cover it, maybe make another list for my truck and one for my toy hauler build.

Must:
$3100
Want:
$2050
Nice:
$770
Grand total = $5920
(It was during this phase that I moved the shocks from must to want, looks more balanced).

Holy cow - why didn't you guys warn me this s*** was too expensive before I got started?
When I was in high school my mom would lecture me about how I should be doing my homework and not in the garage fooling with my dirt bikes - you'll never make a living like your father playing with that stuff (Japanese tiger mom in case you didn't know already).
She should have warned me that I would go broke even at the 'entry level' end of the spectrum.

Looks like a good list to me. Only see a couple things that should go into those categories, one would be EPS.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Must:
  • roof (Honda)
  • tires (Bighorns)
Want:
  • Shocks (Walker Evans)
  • Lights (Talon leds)
Nice:
  • doors
  • snow plow
  • Radio (Bofang)

Must:
$3100
Want:
$2050
Nice:
$770
Grand total = $5920

Is your 500 as bone stock as your list would suggest?

Reactions: Dp5hunter
lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Is your 500 as bone stock as your list would suggest?

Not bone stock.
But close.
Thought I would do the exercise from zero to see where I'm at.
The cost calc dose not include the stuff I have like the winch and plow.

What is interesting is to see how I prioritized the plow on paper.
Even more interesting is seeing the p500 plow sitting next to the ATV plow in the barn.
I probably could have held off on the plow for a few years.
Makes me think putting the candy next to the register at the grocery store is a smart move (for the grocery store, not for me).

Looks like a good list to me. Only see a couple things that should go into those categories, one would be EPS.

It's not an oversight.
I really don't like the aftermarket EPS.
But Honda doesn't offer it on the 500.
So, I'm thinking I will try the TORQ locker with out EPS then revisit how much I don't like the aftermarket EPS.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
After having EPS installed for a few years, it would be a must for me if I had to start over on a new P500. The locker depends if you ride very challenging conditions, like soupy mud or rock crawling with a front tire in the air.

S

snakeriver

Oct 11, 2018
Clarkston Wa
Ownership

1. 500

Must:
  • roof (Honda)
  • tires (Bighorns)
Want:
  • Shocks (Walker Evans)
  • Lights (Talon leds)
Nice:
  • doors
  • snow plow
  • Radio (Bofang)

Must:
$3100
Want:
$2050
Nice:
$770
Grand total = $5920

Sure that is what I told myself, and then Christmas came...and that was it. Now I know how a drug addict feels!!!!

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
So tell me those of you that have added the power steering, after much use it it holding up well or what issues have you had with them? Also is the install straight forward of is it a 2 hours job that turns into a couple days?

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
It works very well and I have had no issues with mine. The worst part of the install is clamping it down so that the shaft clears the brake fluid reservoir!!!

Yeah, definitely the most important part of the install. The issue I had was with the up and down flex of the bracket, seemed odd so I called SuperATV. Found the happy place and cinched it down, can't say I've really looked at it since.

Dp5hunter

Dp5hunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2016
Hazlehurst Mississippi
Ownership

1. 500
I just found this and I did most of the up grabs when I bought the machine. I was trying to get it ready for the ROTC witch I never made, but my mods did not stop there, and over the past years I've aded well over $4000. And the best mods to date for my P500 have been the torqlucker and EPS, l would list the mods to my machine but the list is just to extensive. The machine is a mountain goat, tank, bulldozer and so much more and only getting better ;):cool::D:)

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Great thread fellas,
Thinking back now it’ll be 6 years this coming autumn and this little machine has been awesome, has never let me down on the trail. Worst has been poking holes in the axle accordion rubber seals, totally my fault. Best thing about it, is that it’s ours, it’s paid for and i’ve been so fortunate to use for work and charge it out.

In regard to mods, really full stock it’s a pretty durable Mighty Mite... thing is you can tailor it to your specific needs which is so cool too if you desire. Gotta say fav mods for me have been ride related, least cost to most expensive: removing anti-sway bar, Radials 27x11x12s on 5-2 rims in Kenda HTRs and of course Elka Stage 3s. Creature comforts, (fore noted), windshield and cab along with exhaust fan under the seat to push out hot air and Seat insulation. Essentials, Winch and for me snow plough. Love ploughing snow with little bugger.

Every time I drive mine makes me smile and even laugh out loud... such a cool little Dozer, Tractor, Jeep, 4by P5.

Lastly gotta say this forum is a huge part of the experience and journey too... thanks for that guys.
In these crazy times Stay Safe and take care.
j

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Have to say the recent add of a bed with tailgate tops my list now, as the P500 is mostly used for home property maintenance. @Sr56 has one for sale, un-used.

D72D5340 CF35 49BE 9B14 DE4434DEC9FB 7F132D2D 6EA7 4671 BE73 45CA0C407129

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Winch,roof,windshield,back tray, outfitter box,choogie glove box.I have added. What remains on wish list, torq-locker,and snorkel.
Sounds like you are well modded. Locker and power steering is a great combination. After having both and already having a winch, if I had to make a priority choice between the two again, Power Steering would be first.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!