crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Hi all,

I've been on the forums for a few years and fairly active the last 2 years. I've read a lot of threads and learned quite a bit about each of the different SXSs that Honda makes. A big thanks to all of the original trail blazers, moderators and of course the forum owner. Because of those that have gone before me, I was able to contribute to various threads started by others, and even do a decent build thread of my own.

The thing that I keep reading is that the P500/520s are not all that popular. I can see that there is way more aftermarket support for the 1000 and Talon models, so, this must be true that there are more of the Talons and 1000 out there.

Does anyone know how many of these are produced each year and a cumulative guess as to how many have been built of each model? I did my best to do a search on: units produced, units sold, total production.... and many more variations.

I guess the reason I ask is not just for my own curiosity, but because I have ideas for products that are based around the 500 series platform. I would hate to go down the route of production, only to find out there is no market.

Thanks everyone!

Rob

Vondy

Vondy

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2015
Houston,OH
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I'd say there is demand for 500/520 products, but not as much as the larger units. One pro is there is not a lot out there for the 500, so less competition.

500s are a much more capable machine that you would think, they just look so goofy stock and everyone wants bigger and badder. LOL. Love my 500, but hated not being able to keep up on road and trail at times. I picked up a Talon for trails and kept the 500 for hunting and use around home

SuperATV

SuperATV

Vendor
Dec 5, 2013
Madison, IN
www.superatv.com
Another thing to think about is the market for parts and accessories for the smaller machines. For example........
I can tell you that the Polaris Ranger midsize 570 (2015-2021) was probably the top (or close to the top) selling machine of all time. There are more 570's out there than every year of the Pioneer 500, 700, 1k, and Talon...combined. The little 570 is more of a budget model for utility use. Small, budget, utility models are incredibly popular for all manufacturers, but the aftermarket is pretty hesitant to take on many parts because your "average" owner of the budget utility model isn't really looking at customizing that machine for power, performance, and comfort. I know that doesn't apply to everyone, but the vast majority of these smaller budget utility models are used strictly for utility purposes....or they are designated "work" machines that are owned by the city, high school, street department, factory, hospital, police and fire departments, etc.. It doesn't mean its any less of a machine or that we don't want to see cool stuff on them. It just means its harder for me to convince the bean counters that we need to dump a bunch of time, money, and people into working on parts that may be of no use or no interest to the vast majority of the owners of smaller utility models.

Companies like us have a production model. We're going to stamp out 200 sets of Ranger mid-570 A-arms. Boom... Move on to another part for another machine. And the cycle repeats itself when specific parts start getting low. Its much easier for smaller fab and custom shops to do this stuff on a one-off format, but those places are often hard to find and much more expensive than mass production (boxed and shelved) parts.

There are tons of 500's out there. The hard work is locating and getting the interest of the owners.

Sorry for the long winded rant. I hope it was helpful.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Another thing to think about is the market for parts and accessories for the smaller machines. For example........
I can tell you that the Polaris Ranger midsize 570 (2015-2021) was probably the top (or close to the top) selling machine of all time. There are more 570's out there than every year of the Pioneer 500, 700, 1k, and Talon...combined. The little 570 is more of a budget model for utility use. Small, budget, utility models are incredibly popular for all manufacturers, but the aftermarket is pretty hesitant to take on many parts because your "average" owner of the budget utility model isn't really looking at customizing that machine for power, performance, and comfort. I know that doesn't apply to everyone, but the vast majority of these smaller budget utility models are used strictly for utility purposes....or they are designated "work" machines that are owned by the city, high school, street department, factory, hospital, police and fire departments, etc.. It doesn't mean its any less of a machine or that we don't want to see cool stuff on them. It just means its harder for me to convince the bean counters that we need to dump a bunch of time, money, and people into working on parts that may be of no use or no interest to the vast majority of the owners of smaller utility models.

Companies like us have a production model. We're going to stamp out 200 sets of Ranger mid-570 A-arms. Boom... Move on to another part for another machine. And the cycle repeats itself when specific parts start getting low. Its much easier for smaller fab and custom shops to do this stuff on a one-off format, but those places are often hard to find and much more expensive than mass production (boxed and shelved) parts.

There are tons of 500's out there. The hard work is locating and getting the interest of the owners.

Makes total since.

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520

Very helpful! It won’t keep me from designing and building the parts I want, it will just keep me from making more than I can use. 😇

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
...,they just look so goofy stock and everyone wants bigger and badder.
The 500 is a horrible looking machine. It looks like an ATV that you can sit in, with those tiny tires sitting in a front end that looks like it wasn't finished.

But then, I think Honda is generally ugliest in class across the board. My P1000 looks like a chuck wagon and the rear wheels look smashed up toward the front. The 700 has that short bus looking roof line, and the 2 seat Talon is boxy and looks like it was chopped off at the back.

The 4 seat Talon looks a little more like a machine in its class should, although still very boxy.

But I'm a function over form guy who loves his 1000-5 for the wicked little truck she is.

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I would say that the 500/520 is purchased for more utilitarian purposes and the bigger models are for more utility/recreation. I was trying to purchase a 520 when they came out primarily for yard work.

RB3offroad

RB3offroad

Vendor
Nov 2, 2017
Tempe, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Well said, We make parts for all but the demand on the 500 parts is less!!

O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
As a long time P500 owner I've noticed the common things people do. I got a P500 because it is smaller, don't need big trailer or truck to haul it cross country or a huge spot to store. Gets in more places out west (50"). Doesn't break the bank.

Most are not happy unless they go big no matter how it's used. Look at campers. After the first couple years the big campers just sit unused. Yeah they are nice when they are actually used, but a waste otherwise. My little pop-up got the job done, we weren't that uncomfortable, but more importantly it actually got used because it wasn't a big production to use.

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
I agree with what has been said, the little P500/520s do look goofy in stock form. Once they get some items added and some larger tires, they look way better.

Still wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction of how many Honda sxs have been sold?

Thanks,

Rob

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I agree with what has been said, the little P500/520s do look goofy in stock form. Once they get some items added and some larger tires, they look way better.

Still wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction of how many Honda sxs have been sold?

Thanks,

Rob

Yeah, the P5 could be the ugliest SxS ever made IMO. And why I spent uncountable hrs and dollars to make it not so embarrassing. It was kind of like owning an ugly truck, every time you look at it you cringe. 😣
Once it's set up though, there's nothing on the market that compares to it's capabilities and reliability.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Thanks,

Rob
Honda doesn’t release number of units sold that I’ve ever seen.

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
PXL 20220609 151850392

A face only a mother could love.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!