P500 Portal hubs on P5?! Is it possible?!

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I think i found a glitch in the matrix. Lol So forgive me if this has been talked about before, i tried looking up mention of this on this forum and on the internet but have found nothing. So here it goes, laugh if you want, i could be wrong, but im pretty certain portal hubs for the Honda Pioneer 700 will fit the Pioneer 500.... Maybe this is common knowledge to some of you, but i just figured it out for myself. My wife has a 2015 Pioneer 700-4 and i have a 2016 Pioneer 500. I park our sxs's next to each other week after week and got to noticing the front end and rear end parts look identical to me. I started looking up part #s on partsfish.com and some are the same and some are just one digit off. I figured the best way to tell if p7 portals will fit the p5 is if i park both machines next to each other and see if the axle splines are the same. The p7 cv axle plugs into the top of the portal box, and you move the p7 hub down to the bottom of the portal box and mount it on a splined shaft sticking out the bottom of the portal box giving the P7 a 4" lift and 30% gear reduction. That being said, if a P7 hub will fit on a P5 axle, that means a P5 axle will plug into the top of portal hubs meant for a P700. So i spent about 4 hours unbolting and bolting on hubs, knuckles, axles, etc. I have come to the conclusion that it will work. I did the parts swapping on the passenger front and rear of the machines. I did notice that the rear p7 knuckle has a slightly different sized bearing to allow the slightly thicker hub to slide inside the knuckle. The inside of the bearing has a bigger inside diameter to allow the thicker hub to slide in. All the other parts seem to be the same. The front and rear knuckles seem the same compared side to side and with measurements taken from every angle i can think of. So forgive me if this has already been talked about, but there ya go. I think the p5 probably has the least amount of aftermarket support compared to other sxs's so i think this is pretty cool if im right. According to @Nick1997 super atv has portal hubs for the pioneer 700, they just dont list them, you have to call them. He also mentioned another company that has them but i cant remember the name. It was in the thread about Pioneer 700 portals. Well if you can think of anything i missed please feel free to call me a dumbass. Cunstructive criticism is welcome! Lol Sorry for the long post, heres some pics i took of some of the parts swapping.

20171105 092631 20171105 095654 20171105 095749 20171105 100423 20171105 100435 20171105 100924 20171105 113539 20171105 113614 20171105 114005 20171105 114643 20171105 114700

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Looks like your right.
However, don't confuse possible and advisable.
A P500 with portals would not have any more power.
It would no longer be 50" trail compatible.
And for the cost of the P500 + portal boxes you could have started with a lot more machine.

Otherwise portals on a P5 would be unique.

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Very good point lee. I didnt take into consideration people that bought the p5 for the 50" trail width so they can ride in the state parks in the states that say your machine cant be any wider than 50". Also i know i wouldnt have set out to buy a p5 with intentions of buying portals also. However, now that i own a p5 and have done tons of modifications and have fell in love with the machine, if portals were available for it, i could see myself buying them when i had some money saved up.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Very good point lee. I didnt take into consideration people that bought the p5 for the 50" trail width so they can ride in the state parks in the states that say your machine cant be any wider than 50". Also i know i wouldnt have set out to buy a p5 with intentions of buying portals also. However, now that i own a p5 and have done tons of modifications and have fell in love with the machine, if portals were available for it, i could see myself buying them when i had some money saved up.

Hope I didn't come across too negative.
I live in a 50" state.
But the state is so down on ATVs I ride in surrounding states way more than Ohio (not counting riding on my land doing chores).
I really like the P500 for the economy of it.
The price of admission is really good compared to anything else.
The fact that it is so capable for trail riding (everything except top speed) is a major bonus.

I keep seeing guys compare the P500 to other trail machines.
But they leave off the price comparison.
I get people like @JTW who get a flavor for trail riding and want to trade up.
(I'm going to guess that he is approaching the cost in accessories on the P1k than he paid for the P500 :eek: )
But for entry level, low cost or 50" and utility it's hard to beat the P500.

And if you do throw the portals on the 500 I will be happy to 'like' the post.
Hell I'll even be happy to ride with you, then I wouldn't be the one holding every one else up. ;)

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I live in a 50" state.
But the state is so down on ATVs I ride in surrounding states way more than Ohio (not counting riding on my land doing chores).
The fact that it is so capable for trail riding (everything except top speed) is a major bonus.

(I'm going to guess that he is approaching the cost in accessories on the P1k than he paid for the P500 :eek: )

Hell I'll even be happy to ride with you, then I wouldn't be the one holding every one else up. ;)
No i didnt take it as negative at all. Youve made very good points. Especially the point about how much slower it will be lol. I was basically just throwing it out there to see what people thought, positive or negative, i'll take it all. Im hoping to buy the wife portals for her P7-4 midway through 2018, and if that happens you know i'll be bolting them to mine first just to see if im right about them fitting a P5 haha! We'll see though if any of that happens. :)

J

JTW

I live in a 50" state.

Thanks for reminding me! But yeah, I know you could buy a nice used machine for what I’ve put in accessories and I’m not in nearly as deep as some on here!

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Hella of mechanical skills @Bastardchild . These ideas and detailed efforts of the P500 gang add much to this forum....IMO. Keep em comming. Funny how some of the easy tricks like the reverse lever adjustment, clutch adjustment, seat belt disable, Chooglin glove box, etc has made my P500 better than showroom new.

Last edited:
NMSCAS

NMSCAS

Oct 1, 2017
tupelo, ms
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hella of mechanical skills @Bastardchild . These ideas and detailed efforts of the P500 gang add much to this forum....IMO. Keep em comming. Funny how some of the easy tricks like the reverse lever adjustment, clutch adjustment, seat belt disable, etc has made my P500 better than showroom new.

2 weekends ago a group of rock crawling jeeps blocked the trail on the way out. Got out of here trucks just begging for someone to ask them to move. They were in the normal rock climbing path that everyone uses. In there view you can go up beside them but it would take a machine at least as capable as their jeeps. I was first in the 1000, my son next in the 500, and brother in law in the 700. I locked it down and picked a line. Crawled right around them. My son in the 500 saw what was going on. He is on 27 ripsaws. We snaked our way up a rock ledge that hurt some feelings I believe. I turned around and looked at my brother in law after the 500 made it up with a open front diff. He was smiling so big as he went around those jeeps. So I can see myself buying the locker when it comes out and portals if they would fit. We like surprising people with the Honda’s.

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
2 weekends ago a group of rock crawling jeeps blocked the trail on the way out. Got out of here trucks just begging for someone to ask them to move. They were in the normal rock climbing path that everyone uses. In there view you can go up beside them but it would take a machine at least as capable as their jeeps. I was first in the 1000, my son next in the 500, and brother in law in the 700. I locked it down and picked a line. Crawled right around them. My son in the 500 saw what was going on. He is on 27 ripsaws. We snaked our way up a rock ledge that hurt some feelings I believe. I turned around and looked at my brother in law after the 500 made it up with a open front diff. He was smiling so big as he went around those jeeps. So I can see myself buying the locker when it comes out and portals if they would fit. We like surprising people with the Honda’s.
Haha nice NMSCAS! Pioneers representing!!

Reactions: Rick53
Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Hella of mechanical skills @Bastardchild . These ideas and detailed efforts of the P500 gang add much to this forum....IMO. Keep em comming. Funny how some of the easy tricks like the reverse lever adjustment, clutch adjustment, seat belt disable, Chooglin glove box, etc has made my P500 better than showroom new.
Thanks mudder! I also noticed that it might not be too crazy of a project to put pioneer 700 a-arms on a p5, but thats something im gonna dig into deeper once i get my wife arched lower a-arms for her P7-4, and i keep her stock lowers... ;)

Reactions: Derail
advertisement
Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
True, but an internal gear reduction doesnt take stress off the drive line components like portal hubs do. However, just about everybody that gets portal hubs goes up on tire size so much normally that you have to wonder how much of a reduction is the portals after the big tires get installed. Im not knocking them though, if i was able to get portals on my p5 i would probably end up with 33's or 34's myself lol.

A

Andyh966

Oct 10, 2017
Richlands nc
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Please explain to me what you all call portals please,got half idea what you are talking about

T

Tommyo

Dec 27, 2017
Vidalia Ga
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
Bastardchild, you are my hero. I'm starting a portal mod for my wife's P500.
But I'm actually modding portals for a Ranger to fit.
You've saved me a ton of leg work!!
We're pretty serious mudders and her P500 is running about the biggest tires and
lift she can. She's running 32 terms now. Was running 32.5 outlaws.
I want her to be able to run 35s!!
Thanks a million man.

T

Tommyo

Dec 27, 2017
Vidalia Ga
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
Portals would be BADA$$ on a P500, I have ridden with a P500 and the trails we ride he had no problems keeping up, a lot of tight technical trails.
Were mudders. For us, ground clearance and being able to turn the tires is what matters.
The wife's running 32s right now but I want her to be able to clear and turn 35-37" tires.
Could you imagine a 500 on some 36" terms and only weighing around 1000lbs.
It won't be fast but man I bet it will go!!!

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!