P500 Portal hubs on P5?! Is it possible?!

I

infernored1000

Jan 10, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Were mudders. For us, ground clearance and being able to turn the tires is what matters.
The wife's running 32s right now but I want her to be able to clear and turn 35-37" tires.
Could you imagine a 500 on some 36" terms and only weighing around 1000lbs.
It won't be fast but man I bet it will go!!!

That thing would be unstoppable and if you did it get it stuck it wouldn't take a D8 to get it out lol

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you’re going that far add the 700 locking front diff, it might be wide enough you won’t need new axles

Reactions: Bastardchild
Redrocket

Redrocket

Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2017
Lake City FL
Ownership

1. 500
That's very interesting bc I believe if it can be done you can! Were going to hogwaller Saturday you going? I'm thinking of moving up to a 1000. If you know anyone looking for a 2017 p5 I will sell it for 6500 and I keep the stereo.i still can't post pictures on forum can't figure out how to my cell number is 386 365 2678 lake city fl. Hope too see you and your family Saturday thanks Ricky or Redrocket

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Bastardchild, you are my hero. I'm starting a portal mod for my wife's P500.
But I'm actually modding portals for a Ranger to fit.
You've saved me a ton of leg work!!
We're pretty serious mudders and her P500 is running about the biggest tires and
lift she can. She's running 32 terms now. Was running 32.5 outlaws.
I want her to be able to run 35s!!
Thanks a million man.

View attachment 60650
No prob @Tommyo! I was wanting to be the first for portals on a P5! Lol Haha Thats cool that you're hooking her P5 up with portals!!! I think its another win for the P5 community, which doesn't have hardly any afterrmarket support. PLEASE document your build on here where people can see how its done! I see used portals for sale now and again for a fraction of the price of new ones, and they are almost always Polaris portals. If you can show how its done, you could potentially save some people a few thousand dollars if they followed your lead. I look forward to seeing the finished project!

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Bastardchild, have you tried the p700 a arms on the p500? I’ve been looking too and that would widen the little guy and also with the right shocks may lift it a few inches.
@Scottywiest No i have not. But it looks like the top front a-arms are plug and play. I think the bottom front a-arms would be the biggest pain in the whole project because new mounting tabs would need to be welded in. The rear upper and lower a-arms mounting points on the frame are not that far off at all and im thinking the a-arms could have some relief cuts put in them and tweaked and rewelded to fit up in the frame tabs. I havent got to that project yet though. Lol. When i get my wife arched lower a-arms for her P7-4, i will end up with her stock a-arms, and thats when ill start measing with that project. Im saving for portals though! Lol. Her a-arms can wait! Lol btw there is a whole team of engineers that figured out the correct geometry for when the a-arms go up and down, the tire stays straight up and down, and the c.v. axles dont bind. I dont know if i can pull it off, but i will try when the time is right. I put a set of 2012 rzr front upper and lower a-arms on a honda 300 fourtrax and it was a nightmare to figure out where all the frame tabs needed to be welded for the a-arms to go up and down while keeping the wheel straight up and down. I never even got to the cv shaft build of that project. I also had the rear rzr arms and i was gonna do away with the 300 straight axle and have Polaris i.r.s. in the rear. The whole reason i wanted to put the polaris a-arms on the honda is because after i figured out where the frame tabs needed to go for the stock polaris suspension, i could then scrap the stock arms and order some extended arched polaris a-arms and put readily available polaris portals on a honda 300. Thats a whole other story though lol. Sorry for rambling. Long story short, no, ive not put P7 a-arms on a P5 yet. Lol

Reactions: infernored1000
Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
If you’re going that far add the 700 locking front diff, it might be wide enough you won’t need new axles
@ohanacreek yes youre correct. Also, portals are available for the P700 so if we could figure out how to put P7 arms on a P5, portals would be a breeze. A P5 with P7 upper a-arms, and aftermarket P7 arched lower a-arms, with portal hubs and the P7 front diff with locker, on 35's would be sick!

Reactions: Dp5hunter
Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
That's very interesting bc I believe if it can be done you can! Were going to hogwaller Saturday you going? I'm thinking of moving up to a 1000. If you know anyone looking for a 2017 p5 I will sell it for 6500 and I keep the stereo.i still can't post pictures on forum can't figure out how to my cell number is 386 365 2678 lake city fl. Hope too see you and your family Saturday thanks Ricky or Redrocket
@Redrocket man im sorry i missed you! Yes we had a huge crew out there Saturday! PhukDupMudClub showed up in force!! I havent checked in on here in a while so i never seen your message. I can tell you though, the Honda Pioneer line is starting to really make itself known. I saw tons of Pioneers out there this past weekend! I will pass the word on about your P5 for sale. :)

T

Tommyo

Dec 27, 2017
Vidalia Ga
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
No prob @Tommyo! I was wanting to be the first for portals on a P5! Lol Haha Thats cool that you're hooking her P5 up with portals!!! I think its another win for the P5 community, which doesn't have hardly any afterrmarket support. PLEASE document your build on here where people can see how its done! I see used portals for sale now and again for a fraction of the price of new ones, and they are almost always Polaris portals. If you can show how its done, you could potentially save some people a few thousand dollars if they followed your lead. I look forward to seeing the finished project!
I most definitely will!!!

advertisement
Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Well, i just pulled the trigger on these...6" portals from utvsolutions.com... I dealt with a guy named Chad up there. I think they are up in Michigan i believe. He took these pics of a set he had on the showroom floor up there and sent them to me. I imagine it will take a few weeks or so to have them built and sent down to me. Lets hope my research pays off, if i was wrong about these being able to fit a P5 i guess my wifes P7-4 is about to get hooked up! Lol

20180119 1452381 20180119 1452231 20180119 1452431

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Heres a pic of the wheels i ordered. Got them from summitracing.com They are 16x7 with 4" back spacing with the 4/110 bolt pattern. Chad said you gotta run atleast a 16" wheel for 6" portals. The wheels are all black, but they have the option for red center caps and accent rings that i will order at a later date..

Screenshot 20180117 123053

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I was thinking of driving a few hours south of me and getting these tires, they are superior traction tires, 34x7.50-16 for $200 each, or 35x7.50-16 for $210 each. Not sure though, the guy i talked to on the phone seemed less than enthusiastic to be talking to me, and when i mentioned bringing my P5 down there with the new wheels so we could mount a tire on the wheel and check the clearance on the machines frame and stuff, he said they dont mount tires, they just sell them. So i dont know if ill deal with them. We'll see. That is a crazy good price for tires that size though.

Screenshot 20180116 130324 Screenshot 20180116 130254

I

infernored1000

Jan 10, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well, i just pulled the trigger on these...6" portals from utvsolutions.com... I dealt with a guy named Chad up there. I think they are up in Michigan i believe. He took these pics of a set he had on the showroom floor up there and sent them to me. I imagine it will take a few weeks or so to have them built and sent down to me. Lets hope my research pays off, if i was wrong about these being able to fit a P5 i guess my wifes P7-4 is about to get hooked up! Lol

View attachment 62452 View attachment 62453 View attachment 62454

Good for your wife, I was really looking forward to seeing them on your P500

I

infernored1000

Jan 10, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thats the plan, put them on the P5. If for some reason i cant make them work, they go on the P7-4.

It's a win win either way lol. In the famous words of somebody that I don't remember who, said. Where there's a will there's a way!!!! lol,

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500

View attachment 62452 View attachment 62453 View attachment 62454

Damn BC, that thing's going to be a beast! Yeah those guys can create anything. Honda Parts King, US 27 Motorsports and Trailers and UTV Solutions all under the same roof. That's where I bought my P5, good guys and they can do some crazy sh**. They were trying to talk me into a lift for my machine when I bought it. Should have hit them up to build a locker?

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Damn BC, that thing's going to be a beast! Yeah those guys can create anything. Honda Parts King, US 27 Motorsports and Trailers and UTV Solutions all under the same roof. That's where I bought my P5, good guys and they can do some crazy sh**. They were trying to talk me into a lift for my machine when I bought it. Should have hit them up to build a locker?
Haha yeah a locker would be nice for sure! Thats definetly on the list of 'i wants'. I would have bought that before portals had it been available. Now after i get tires ill be back to saving my pennies in hopes of the locker coming out sometime soon. :)

Reactions: trigger
luckymike

luckymike

Lifetime Member
Sep 5, 2016
michigan
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I was thinking of driving a few hours south of me and getting these tires, they are superior traction tires, 34x7.50-16 for $200 each, or 35x7.50-16 for $210 each. Not sure though, the guy i talked to on the phone seemed less than enthusiastic to be talking to me, and when i mentioned bringing my P5 down there with the new wheels so we could mount a tire on the wheel and check the clearance on the machines frame and stuff, he said they dont mount tires, they just sell them. So i dont know if ill deal with them. We'll see. That is a crazy good price for tires that size though.

View attachment 62459 View attachment 62460
those tires look insane,something off a paddleboat !

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!