P500 Portal hubs on P5?! Is it possible?!

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Nice work BC! That's ambition and time right there. Gotta love it when you do it yourself and have the satisfaction that there's not another one like it. "500 watt amp in a tupperware thang", now that's some funny sh**! Have you had it top end yet, slower, faster?
No i havent really rode it that much. Just around the backyard, and for the video. It went 36 m.p.h. topped out with 30's on it down my dirtroad. It kinda feels like it might be slightly slower with the 35's. I know the portals are about a 32% gear reduction according to the machinist that made them. So i knew i was going to lose about 1/3 of the topend, but gain low end torque, but when you put big tires on, it will take away from the low end torque, and give some of the topend back lol. I might run it down the dirtroad this saturday and see how fast it is and report back. Thanks for the compliments btw! :)

Reactions: trigger
luckymike

luckymike

Lifetime Member
Sep 5, 2016
michigan
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Looks awesome.you're going to have posts vids when you're done to show us northern boys what you do with these p5 in the swamps of florida

Reactions: Bastardchild
Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Looks awesome.you're going to have posts vids when you're done to show us northern boys what you do with these p5 in the swamps of florida
Haha no prob luckymike! It will probably be about a month before we plan another big ride. I always post our rides on our youtube channel though. Its phukdupmudclub. Instagram is the same. You can go through those vids and pics and see what we do. :)

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Ok for anybody thats interested i finally got a chance to play a little on the P5 today. I also ran it down my dirt road to check how fast it goes. It says i was doing 39, but i dont think thats right. When i had 30s on it, it went 36, and it feels slower than that now. If you wanted to check it out on youtube. Im 'phukdupmudclub' on there. Or if @Chooglin would be kind enough to snatch it off of youtube and post it on here for people to watch. All right, yall take it easy

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
This thing is sick !!!!!!

If it wasn't for the cost , I would be doing this !
You the man Chooglin! Thanks again buddy! Yeah they are costly for sure. Im hoping @Tommyo posts on here about his idea of putting his polaris portals on a honda p5. If thats an easy mod it could save people tons of money because i see used polaris portals pretty regular for 1/2 price.

Reactions: Chooglin
S

Scottywiest

Apr 9, 2017
Pembroke Pines Florida
Ownership

1. 500
Bastardchild, what backspacing did you go with on the wheels? Think if we went with deep dish a 16 would clear without spacers?

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Ok for anybody thats interested i finally got a chance to play a little on the P5 today. I also ran it down my dirt road to check how fast it goes. It says i was doing 39, but i dont think thats right. When i had 30s on it, it went 36, and it feels slower than that now. If you wanted to check it out on youtube. Im 'phukdupmudclub' on there. Or if @Chooglin would be kind enough to snatch it off of youtube and post it on here for people to watch. All right, yall take it easy
That thing looks cool as hell and Great choice of tunes!!!

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Bastardchild, what backspacing did you go with on the wheels? Think if we went with deep dish a 16 would clear without spacers?
Its got 4" backspacing, and i put 1.5" spacers to make them clear, so probably 16" wheels with 2.5" backspacing would clear. Im actually got about a 5/8" gap between the portal and wheel now, so i probably coulda got away with 1" spacers, but i didnt wanna push my luck.

advertisement
S

Scottywiest

Apr 9, 2017
Pembroke Pines Florida
Ownership

1. 500
I’m having a hell of a time finding anything other than 0 offset 16” 4x110’s. If I pull the trigger on portals I’m going to have to get a smaller IGR too so I can spin 34.5 outlaws here in South Florida.

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I’m having a hell of a time finding anything other than 0 offset 16” 4x110’s. If I pull the trigger on portals I’m going to have to get a smaller IGR too so I can spin 34.5 outlaws here in South Florida.
It seems the most common size i found is the 16x7 with the 4" backspacing, and thats the size i went with because 2 different people at utvsolutions told me 6" portals will fit inside 16" wheels. However , i did run across a bunch of different offsets. I looked on Amazon, ebay, summitracing, googled custon utv wheel makers in florida, etc.. I finally settled on the wheels i got from summitracing.com I kicked myself for not getting 18's, but the more i look at them, im not sure they would fit in 18" wheels either. You might need 20's if you wanted them to be inside the wheel. Coincidentally, i love the look and the stance it has how it sits now, so im over the fact that they were mistaken. I love it.

R

RumpRocket

Dec 23, 2017
USA
Ownership

1. 500
All the hip about Portal hubs and the cost doesn't make it practical does it?......so it can be done...at a price right....P500's are viewed as introductory SxS's...and considered low powered by many users....I personally don't have a problem with it.....than again I'm 64......I guess the bottom line as to what I'm trying to say is why spend the extra money on a P500 when you could own a P1000 or Razor 570....

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
All the hip about Portal hubs and the cost doesn't make it practical does it?......so it can be done...at a price right....P500's are viewed as introductory SxS's...and considered low powered by many users....I personally don't have a problem with it.....than again I'm 64......I guess the bottom line as to what I'm trying to say is why spend the extra money on a P500 when you could own a P1000 or Razor 570....
Not a huge Polaris fan. Honda all the way. The whole aftermarket parts industry has their noses jammed straight up Polaris's and Can Am's a$$. I wanted to build something different. I thought the P5 was hideous when i first seen it. Then a few months went by and i seen one with some maybe 28" mud tires on it, and it got my mind wandering. If i didnt own a sxs, I would never set out to buy a 500 and then buy portal hubs for it. I would spring for the 700 or 1000 instead. However, i bought the P5 because i just kinda seen the potential in it. I love projects, and the 500 looked like a project from heaven. After owning it for probably over a year, doing numerous mods to it, it dawned on me one day that my wifes P7-4 had a lot of the same front end parts on it, and if they make portals for a P7-4, then maybe those portals could also go on a P5. After lots of parts # research, and swapping parts back and forth between hers and mine, i determined the portals would fit. Like i said before though, it wasnt a gamble for me, because if i was wrong i would just put the portals on her P7-4. I know its not for everybody, and i will probably have more problems with this set up down the road than if i wouldve just kept my 30s on it, but i like it. I definetly expect to go through balljoints, and when they break, they will probably break or bend something else. Im just a different oddball i guess lol

R

Redman82

Apr 6, 2016
Statesboro, GA
I think it’s awesome and appreciate you putting in the time, money and effort for the rest of us. Great thing about doing this to the p5 is it’s lite, when mudding weight is everything, you put a p5 with portals against a p1000 with portals and I’m certain your gonna make it a lot farther with the p5

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I think it’s awesome and appreciate you putting in the time, money and effort for the rest of us. Great thing about doing this to the p5 is it’s lite, when mudding weight is everything, you put a p5 with portals against a p1000 with portals and I’m certain your gonna make it a lot farther with the p5
Thank you guys! I think its definetly a win for the P5 community. Im not gonna be able to really go riding though for probably another month because the wife had surgery and i cant just leave her at home lol.

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
A small update to the people that wanted to know how fast the P5 goes now that it has portals. Last weekend i looked at the speedometer when it was maxed out and it said 39mph. I didnt believe it because it felt like i was going slower than when i had 30s on it. The speedometer topped out at 36mph with 30s. I downloaded a gps app to my phone and took the P5 for a spin just now. I actually got it up to where the speedometer said 40mph on the dash, and the gps said 35mph. On a side note: Ive noticed that when i drive my truck, the gps always says 4mph faster than what the truck speedometer says. So who knows. Lol

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!