P1000 Post clutch repair performance?

Upstatefreedom

Upstatefreedom

May 25, 2016
Colton,New york
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So. Just curious who has had clutch concerns and what the concern was. Also what was replaced and how did it fix the concerns? Have been hearing about chamfering a oil passage when the clutches have been replaced. Does anyone know if is a TSB for dealers to do this? I know a lot of questions. Lol. I got my P1K3 in late May last year. I noticed a intermittent "chatter" in the drivetrain mainly in 4wd lo when crawling under load. At first if I spiked the throttle it seemed to power through it and smooth out. I have done the initial oil change with the Honda oil and filters. Still have the chatter. Seems to do it even in 2wd sometimes when going up a steep hill. Doesn't really matter hi or low. Really seems to chatter a lot I. The deep snow too. Don't know if that's same issue or not tho. Going to get it checked out before the warranty runs out but was curious if others experienced the same issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Elkhunter
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
So. Just curious who has had clutch concerns and what the concern was. Also what was replaced and how did it fix the concerns? Have been hearing about chamfering a oil passage when the clutches have been replaced. Does anyone know if is a TSB for dealers to do this? I know a lot of questions. Lol. I got my P1K3 in late May last year. I noticed a intermittent "chatter" in the drivetrain mainly in 4wd lo when crawling under load. At first if I spiked the throttle it seemed to power through it and smooth out. I have done the initial oil change with the Honda oil and filters. Still have the chatter. Seems to do it even in 2wd sometimes when going up a steep hill. Doesn't really matter hi or low. Really seems to chatter a lot I. The deep snow too. Don't know if that's same issue or not tho. Going to get it checked out before the warranty runs out but was curious if others experienced the same issues.

Somebody said that if you've rode it through a puddle or mud at all it's out of warranty lol.

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I covered all that in the my clutches burnt up and sparks shot out my ass thread many moons ago. Long story short it worked great after being replaced.
I was thinking yours failed again after initial replacement... or did I just imagine that? Over forty now and have to keep tabs on my memory banks...lol

Reactions: JTW
bigdeal

bigdeal

Jan 25, 2016
south ga
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Has anyone had a clutch fail that added the bilge fan under the seat?

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I have had mine fail in 10-20 below above temps! Didn't have the fan on because used the heat to warm up!

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Is someone blaming it on the bilge blowers now? That's a new one on me lol. But....Since the exact cause has yet to be established, why not?

Reactions: AKRider
Big_Daddy

Big_Daddy

Apr 17, 2017
Clayton, NC
Ownership

1. 1000-3

Did you ever find out anything about this chatter noise? I have it too

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Did you ever find out anything about this chatter noise? I have it too

I can answer that, when all the friction material is worn off the clutch plates it is metal against metal and chatters like crazy on take off, happened to me on my first clutch failure.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I was thinking yours failed again after initial replacement... or did I just imagine that? Over forty now and have to keep tabs on my memory banks...lol
Sorry just seen this Pete. Explained below, but yes 1000 miles later under much harsher circumstances.

P1000 - Shifting issues

Reactions: PioneerPete
Big_Daddy

Big_Daddy

Apr 17, 2017
Clayton, NC
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I can answer that, when all the friction material is worn off the clutch plates it is metal against metal and chatters like crazy on take off, happened to me on my first clutch failure.
Mine chatters when I was cruising about 25-28mph on the beach when it was under slight load going through the sand. Almost like it wanted to shift but wasnt quite there yet. I don't have the paddle shifters or I would have shifted myself.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Mine chatters when I was cruising about 25-28mph on the beach when it was under slight load going through the sand. Almost like it wanted to shift but wasnt quite there yet. I don't have the paddle shifters or I would have shifted myself.
Hmmm, but does do it on take off after the machine is at normal temp? That speed under light throttle is perfect for trying to shift into 5th gear whitch is on the clutch that predominately has issues when one goes out.

Big_Daddy

Big_Daddy

Apr 17, 2017
Clayton, NC
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hmmm, but does do it on take off after the machine is at normal temp? That speed under light throttle is perfect for trying to shift into 5th gear whitch is on the clutch that predominately has issues when one goes out.
Not really noticed it on take off at all. Just did it for about a half mile stretch, so I stopped and put it in 2wd and it didn't do it anymore.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Not really noticed it on take off at all. Just did it for about a half mile stretch, so I stopped and put it in 2wd and it didn't do it anymore.
That's a new one on me, especially 4WD only. If it's a clutch you will know it, no guessing like this noise you described.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!