Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I've had a power commander now for about a week and a half or close to two weeks and finally got enough time at home to test it out. Below is my findings so far.

First step was to get a baseline run. I am using an app on my iPhone to test 0 to 40 miles an hour. I made three runs back to back after I warmed the engine up in the red pioneer will accelerate from 0 to 40 miles an hour in 6.5 seconds. This test is performed on stock wheels but the red pioneer has a lot of accessories that I had quite a bit of weight.

Just for the fun of it, I did the same test in the white three seater that doesn't have many accessories. It does have a winch, windshield,roof, and a dual battery set up. It will accelerate from 0 to 40 miles an hour in 5.6 seconds on the average of three runs.

I installed the power commander five next which was quite easy and instructions were pretty clear. The only complaint that I have is their connections to the two coil packs is pretty cheesy but I guess it'll work OK. All the other connections were nice OEM type waterproof connectors that I have no concerns about. I also removed the muffler and drilled a new hole in the pipe for a new oxygen sensor to use with the auto tune kit. I placed the autotune oxygen sensor right next to the OEM sensor.

The next thing I did was do another run in with the power commander turned on but no power to the auto tune module. I am happy to report that there is a very noticeable difference in power! After warming the engine up, I made three timed runs in the exact same location as before and now the red pioneer will accelerate 0 to 40 miles an hour in 5.6 seconds. It will dig out of the hole a lot quicker than what it used to. I am very, very happy with the performance.

I am about all tuckered out for this evening. Tomorrow I will bring my laptop down here and turn on the auto tune and make some adjustments and see if there's anything left to get some more performance out of it. My guess is there's not gonna be much more performance. The auto tune kit should help the pioneer maintain performance no matter the elevation changes or future modifications to the intake and exhaust. That's the cool thing about the auto tune kit, you set the fuel to air ratio and it will keep that same ratio no matter what modifications that I make down the road.

Here's a picture of the times as I was writing them down on the whiteboard in the shop.

E28e2ae8001c46e44a268c8bc162dfc7

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Just in case anyone was curious, the muffler is quite easy to remove on these vehicles. Looking back on it, I wish I had fired it up with the muffler removed just to see how loud it was. :)

1fad518a1ee24859c9a53e573d363835

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I can't wait for this summer to do some temperature readings between these two pioneers we have here. I'm really excited to be able to run a richer fuel ratio so this thing doesn't run so freaking hot!

I'd be curious to know what the stock fuel to air ratio is if anyone knows.

Who knows what other good things can come from letting this thing run at a little bit cooler temperature. It's a rather large investment and I was worried that there wouldn't be much results. But right out of the box I see a 15% increase in acceleration from 0 to 40. I was really happy to see the black marks that it left on the white concrete after installing the power commander!

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I just want to mention again that I'm really pumped about this modification. For the past few weeks I've been trying to figure out how to shave some pounds because when my father brought home the white pioneer, I could really tell the difference in how much performance I had lost. No need to try to shave pounds anymore, this is put me on par with a near stock three seater.

I should also mention that my snorkel modification helps the engine breathe quite a bit easier and a while back I changed my exhaust tip out for one that was quite a bit larger. I couldn't tell any difference when I added those things but those things may be significant now that I have a tuner.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
And don't forget that it's free shipping with Rocky Mountain. Plus you earn more Rocky Mountain cash for your next purchase.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Been waiting on a good review before I ordered one. Thanks. I have an o2 sensor I was going to hook up and see where stock is running but think I'll skip it and do the tuner. 30's hurt the top end. Might be wrong but feels like it shifts based on mph at wot not rpm.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
And don't forget that it's free shipping with Rocky Mountain. Plus you earn more Rocky Mountain cash for your next purchase.
So you can just buy the power commander. And get the results your showing without the auto tune?

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've had a power commander now for about a week and a half or close to two weeks and finally got enough time at home to test it out. Below is my findings so far.

First step was to get a baseline run. I am using an app on my iPhone to test 0 to 40 miles an hour. I made three runs back to back after I warmed the engine up in the red pioneer will accelerate from 0 to 40 miles an hour in 6.5 seconds. This test is performed on stock wheels but the red pioneer has a lot of accessories that I had quite a bit of weight.

Just for the fun of it, I did the same test in the white three seater that doesn't have many accessories. It does have a winch, windshield,roof, and a dual battery set up. It will accelerate from 0 to 40 miles an hour in 5.6 seconds on the average of three runs.

I installed the power commander five next which was quite easy and instructions were pretty clear. The only complaint that I have is their connections to the two coil packs is pretty cheesy but I guess it'll work OK. All the other connections were nice OEM type waterproof connectors that I have no concerns about. I also removed the muffler and drilled a new hole in the pipe for a new oxygen sensor to use with the auto tune kit. I placed the autotune oxygen sensor right next to the OEM sensor.

The next thing I did was do another run in with the power commander turned on but no power to the auto tune module. I am happy to report that there is a very noticeable difference in power! After warming the engine up, I made three timed runs in the exact same location as before and now the red pioneer will accelerate 0 to 40 miles an hour in 5.6 seconds. It will dig out of the hole a lot quicker than what it used to. I am very, very happy with the performance.

I am about all tuckered out for this evening. Tomorrow I will bring my laptop down here and turn on the auto tune and make some adjustments and see if there's anything left to get some more performance out of it. My guess is there's not gonna be much more performance. The auto tune kit should help the pioneer maintain performance no matter the elevation changes or future modifications to the intake and exhaust. That's the cool thing about the auto tune kit, you set the fuel to air ratio and it will keep that same ratio no matter what modifications that I make down the road.

Here's a picture of the times as I was writing them down on the whiteboard in the shop.

E28e2ae8001c46e44a268c8bc162dfc7
I just did it 5 times in the street. App was way off . I did it by hand 3x and was 6.2 0-40 gps would stay with me till 20-25. So your right on I've got 28" tires your 30" .

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I just did it 5 times in the street. App was way off . I did it by hand 3x and was 6.2 0-40 gps would stay with me till 20-25. So your right on I've got 28" tires your 30" .

I wasn't watching the Honda speedo. I was using the app to get actual speed. I did this test with stock tires.

Another thing I did was use the phone in the phone mount so it did not move. I set the parameters from 1 mile an hour to 40 mile an hour. That way the timer didn't start till it hits 2 mph.

I'm sure the connection with satellite will vary depending on what area you are in. That could have an effect on the GPS accuracy.

When I say I took an average of three runs, actually all three runs were identical using the timer.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!