P1000 Power steering light

J

Jeffro

Jun 20, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I noticed my power steering light has come on and the power steering has quit working. I just installed a radio and hooked it up straight to the battery, so I don't know how that could have caused any problems. I checked the fuse but it seems to be good. Anybody else have this problem?

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've heard about this problem a few times on this forum but I don't know where it is. I do know that it is a easy fix. Check all of your connectors first. Keep looking around on the forum and you will find it. If. Remember right it can be reset. Sorry I couldn't be more of a help.

Reactions: ayoung
fordraptor

fordraptor

Dec 19, 2015
WV
I noticed my power steering light has come on and the power steering has quit working. I just installed a radio and hooked it up straight to the battery, so I don't know how that could have caused any problems. I checked the fuse but it seems to be good. Anybody else have this problem?
Mine will do that some times while riding with frequent beer stops. Never does it while riding. Just at times when I start up. I just turn it off and start right back up, light goes out.

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine will do that some times while riding with frequent beer stops. Never does it while riding. Just at times when I start up. I just turn it off and start right back up, light goes out.
It must also double as a " you need another beer" indicator light! Or it can tell when you need to pee lol

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I know if power gets low it'll do that.

H

Honda300

Mar 22, 2016
Fort mcmurray , alberta
I had a 1000 rzr that did that quite often. I put in a new battery with in a few hours of riding and thirsty stops it was doing it again. I installed a stereo and lights but it was killing the power steering before that. turns out it was the voltage regulator

J

Jeffro

Jun 20, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had a 1000 rzr that did that quite often. I put in a new battery with in a few hours of riding and thirsty stops it was doing it again. I installed a stereo and lights but it was killing the power steering before that. turns out it was the voltage regulator
Sounds like I'll have to take it to the dealer, which I was trying to avoid. Hoping it was something simple.

advertisement
fordraptor

fordraptor

Dec 19, 2015
WV
And the power steering actually quits working? Should I just try charging the battery?
I have a dual battery and the starter is the only thing on the main battery. I also have digital voltmeters on both, so I know my battery is not low. It stay's above 12 volts

12828431 10204580830835770 6774591138096897856 o

Last edited:
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Sounds like I'll have to take it to the dealer, which I was trying to avoid. Hoping it was something simple.
Ok... Lets find some answers....
@Jeffro, have you checked your voltage yet? both running and not?
Have you checked any wires to ensure they are properly seated?
Be sure to check ground connections.

I can pull service info for you tomorrow evening if you like.

J

Jeffro

Jun 20, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok... Lets find some answers....
@Jeffro, have you checked your voltage yet? both running and not?
Have you checked any wires to ensure they are properly seated?
Be sure to check ground connections.

I can pull service info for you tomorrow evening if you like.
I don't have a voltmeter. I did not mess with any wires other than hooking the stereo straight to the battery terminals. I have it on the charger now but so far the light is still coming on.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
And the power steering actually quits working? Should I just try charging the battery?
Sorry for the delay. But in the past I have had the light come on and yes lose a lot of the steering but usually it gets followed by erratic shifting. Unless you have lots of accessories a radio shouldn't drain it that much. I wouldn't think it's anything you did but maybe check the cables to make sure they are tight because obviously if not it won't charge. Does it start fine or laborious? Anything else done to the machine? Check fuses?

J

Jeffro

Jun 20, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sorry for the delay. But in the past I have had the light come on and yes lose a lot of the steering but usually it gets followed by erratic shifting. Unless you have lots of accessories a radio shouldn't drain it that much. I wouldn't think it's anything you did but maybe check the cables to make sure they are tight because obviously if not it won't charge. Does it start fine or laborious? Anything else done to the machine? Check fuses?
No other accessories, just the radio, and I haven't even used it much. I didn't notice any other problems, it starts right up. I did tighten the cables and checked the fuse.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Damn. Volt meter won't help it's not that then. I think it's got to be a ground like hondasxs suggested or the plug in the steering motor possibly. Can you get access that? I know when I had dash out it was right there but don't remember about access. Possibly could reach up from the square cover in middle of the floor at bottom if removed? Look over grounds pretty good they do have issues with those.

J

Jeffro

Jun 20, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Damn. Volt meter won't help it's not that then. I think it's got to be a ground like hondasxs suggested or the plug in the steering motor possibly. Can you get access that? I know when I had dash out it was right there but don't remember about access. Possibly could reach up from the square cover in middle of the floor at bottom if removed? Look over grounds pretty good they do have issues with those.
I didn't see any loose wires and I don't want to start tearing the dash apart. I was hoping it might be something simple like a fuse but the fuse is good. It's under warranty so it shouldn't be a big deal. Just a pain to take it up there, and I'm hoping they don't say it was caused by my stereo.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Darn I was hoping we'd get you going I know it sucks to go to the dealer. Do you have power wire fused? Just wondering for warrentee.

Reactions: joeymt33
J

Jeffro

Jun 20, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Darn I was hoping we'd get you going I know it sucks to go to the dealer. Do you have power wire fused? Just wondering for warrentee.
Yes, I installed the Infinity PRV-250 that I've seen a lot of people on here use. The power wire is fused.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Yes, I installed the Infinity PRV-250 that I've seen a lot of people on here use. The power wire is fused.
Ok you should be good on warrentee then. Btw best all around deck you can buy I promise! We kept trying to get better we've owned every marine deck out there trying but were hard on stuff and they all showed. I currently have 3 models of the same because dependability is everything so good choice!!:):)

Reactions: joeymt33
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!