P1000 Power Steering Question

N

Ned

May 12, 2015
West Kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The power steering on my new P1K appears to steer left slightly more easily than to the right. Is this what everyone is experiencing? I can 1 finger turn to the left, but to the right I have to put more of a palm or my hand on it. It is really such a little thing but I thought I would ask all those who have one also.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Mine felt pretty good didn't notice anything like that but I'll check it later today. Was that at a stop or moving when you noticed this

N

Ned

May 12, 2015
West Kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine felt pretty good didn't notice anything like that but I'll check it later today. Was that at a stop or moving when you noticed this

I noticed it while driving. Like I said, it's a pretty small detail, but when I steer left I can do it with a finger. Turning right takes just a bit more effort. It's not like it doesn't have power steering to the right but it is not as effortless. What I'm trying to figure out whether it is just the configuration of the mechanism and normal or if it may need some type of adjustment. If they all are like this it would not be surprising but if it is a fluke I will have my dealer look into it when it goes in for first service.

DTAGG

DTAGG

Sep 11, 2015
ST GEORGE UTAH/ACCORD LAKES SEVIER COUNTY UTAH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I noticed it while driving. Like I said, it's a pretty small detail, but when I steer left I can do it with a finger. Turning right takes just a bit more effort. It's not like it doesn't have power steering to the right but it is not as effortless. What I'm trying to figure out whether it is just the configuration of the mechanism and normal or if it may need some type of adjustment. If they all are like this it would not be surprising but if it is a fluke I will have my dealer look into it when it goes in for first service.
MINE IS THE SAME LEFT OR RIGHT, VERY SMOOTH.

tig

tig

Apr 22, 2015
It's possible to initialize the system to set the "zero". Might have the dealer do this process next time you bring it in.

Reactions: JACKAL
Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
Yeah that sounds off. The obvious question that comes to my mind is....... are the front tires inflated to the same psi?

Reactions: DTAGG
A

Andy

Sep 28, 2015
The power steering on my new P1K appears to steer left slightly more easily than to the right. Is this what everyone is experiencing? I can 1 finger turn to the left, but to the right I have to put more of a palm or my hand on it. It is really such a little thing but I thought I would ask all those who have one also.
Mine is doing the same thing. Almost no resistance turning left and some resistance turning right. Did you find a fix yet?

N

Ned

May 12, 2015
West Kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine is doing the same thing. Almost no resistance turning left and some resistance turning right. Did you find a fix yet?

My dealer has really been great. I reported my power steering issue and a slightly sagging passenger door. They had offered a free first service interval and since my call they have contacted Honda about my concerns with the intent of making all things right at that time. That is scheduled on 12/1. They did say they could easily re-initialize the power steering unit to zero. When that is done I will report back and let you know. Since then I have been testing all aspects of my machine. Yes, the digital display does not immediately show when I go from turf to 2 or 4wd but my machine does immediately go to those selected drive conditions. So far everything I test is great. I keep looking for problems or issue but have yet to find anything to complain about. I even think the shocks are wonderful....maybe because I don't expect it to be a racer...oh one other thing that I'm not sure about...reverse seems to cut out at about 13 or 14 mph. Those who know think that if stuck in mud, this cutout may hinder a high speed reverse escape. I can't speak to that.

Reactions: Beastburner
N

Ned

May 12, 2015
West Kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I said that I would report back about my power steering issue. At first service they did find that it was either incorrectly initialized or not done. My dealer said that the software and procedure for the 1000's just became available but all is done and I can say that it is perfectly smooth equal and neutral. A test they did was to lift the front end and just turn to the right and see what happened. They wheels tried to work back left. Done on the left side, they stayed put. So Andy they can fix it right up in short order. Just sucks to trailer your machine in and be without it for a day or two. I have to give Kudos to my dealer. Free first service done during this warranty fix and all fluids and filters at no cost with first oil change. They let me keep the my trailer there under lock and key and my Pioneer inside and protected. I really like my guys.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!