Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I have used the Pioneer as an excuse to rebuild my tool assortment.
That and projects my wife wants done, "To do that the RIGHT way, I need a better (saw,drill,air compressor, plasma cutter) honey"
Been looking at electric and battery impact wrenches this morning. Haha

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Do some digging into where they are now made and by who. The connections will surprise you. For example Husky,Stanley and Craftsman hand tools are now made in the same factory by the same parent company. Rigid Power tools are basically Milwaukee with different batteries(and Rigid has a better warranty and free battery replacement). Grab two that are the same level and lay them next to each other. Its like the Jonesred and Husqvarna Saws( I have a husky but have used a Jonesred chain and bar the rivets and assembly lines are an identical match.)

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'll say I felt guilty as heck when I bought my 20v Impact Wrench.... it did not take me long to get over that purchase at all. Dewalt actually just came out with a new model that is med sized and probably a little better to take on the trail. There are some good ones out there Just look at the brand you already have batteries for and save a little.

Dragon21

Dragon21

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
was looking at the Kobalt 24v, i like that its compact but it only does about 200ft/lbs. I was gonna get the Harbor freight one since its only $40, and i still might go that route for now but it still only does 220ft/lbs.

Reactions: BWAF
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
was looking at the Kobalt 24v, i like that its compact but it only does about 200ft/lbs. I was gonna get the Harbor freight one since its only $40, and i still might go that route for now but it still only does 220ft/lbs.

My 18v does 325ft/lbs but it is a bare tool you have to either buy an additional battery or have the combo kit already. I haven't stalled it out yet. I didn't buy it for small stuff my ¼ impact will do 145ft/lbs but it strained to get some lug nuts on my truck off, a lot easier on me than standing or beating on a breaker bar.

Reactions: BWAF and Dragon21
Dragon21

Dragon21

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
My 18v does 325ft/lbs but it is a bare tool you have to either buy an additional battery or have the combo kit already. I haven't stalled it out yet. I didn't buy it for small stuff my ¼ impact will do 145ft/lbs but it strained to get some lug nuts on my truck off, a lot easier on me than standing or beating on a breaker bar.

My 1/4" 20v dewalt will only do around 100ft/lbs i believe. I cant budget a second set of power tools right now, so gonna have to be a 1 off item. Though I like how the Kobalt 24v batteries are actually affordable unlike my dewalt batteries. I think when my dewalts die im going to go with another brand.

Last edited:
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My 20v dewalt will only do around 100ft/lbs i believe. I cant budget a second set of power tools right now, so gonna have to be a 1 off item.

My Dewalt batteries had died for the 5-6th time with that set so it was time for a different brand. I had spent double replacing batteries than I had on the tools. Tools were solid but I was done paying dewalt $150 for batteries every year.

Reactions: Dragon21
Dragon21

Dragon21

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
My Dewalt batteries had died for the 5-6th time with that set so it was time for a different brand. I had spent double replacing batteries than I had on the tools. Tools were solid but I was done paying dewalt $150 for batteries every year.

This is why I plan to do the same thing with my dewalt tools. Batteries aernt lasting like i think they should and buying new ones are painful. Which has me considering the kobalt 24v line. $20 for a battery and have read good things. Not what i would get for work, but for at home I think they would do fine.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Only other suggestion I can make it buy according to your current platform.
If you have dewalt, milwaukee etc, stick with those and buy the bare tool from ebay.

Dragon21

Dragon21

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Only other suggestion I can make it buy according to your current platform.
If you have dewalt, milwaukee etc, stick with those and buy the bare tool from ebay.

I had considered that, but im disappointed in Dewalt batteries. And they cost so much to replace Ive spent more on batteries than the tools.

Reactions: ohanacreek
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had considered that, but im disappointed in Dewalt batteries. And they cost so much to replace Ive spent more on batteries than the tools.
Looks like this is the perfect opportunity to change platforms. $20 for a spare battery is reasonable in my eyes.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I moved to Ryobi, not the best quality but the large batteries have been good to me. The I have a 1/2" 18 v impact and it has worked great for me so far. I only buy the 1/2" hammer drill drills, they have a much better chuck.
Also have any of you guys actually checked the torque of a bolt after using your impact? My Ryobi actually is about 110 ft lbs. Not sure what the tag says! Not always the most arcate.

Reactions: Ragnar406
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hate hearing you guys have had bad luck with Dewalt batteries, mine seem to be holding up for me.

Here is the new Dewalt one that was just introduced (mid sized) 330lb of torque https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0795Y49SQ/?tag=sxsweb24-20

I settled on the Dewalt 20v line a few years ago and I am too invested to switch now. going back to [HASHTAG]#ohanacreek[/HASHTAG] post I believe Dewalt and Black and Decker are in with Stanley and group as well. I have a few Milwaukee batteries, and tool chest that are nice.

But the impact Wrench is nice - Had the one above been out I would have gone with it over the one I have which is the High torque version, Says it will do up to 700 ft pounds.... So I am ready to drive some Lag bolts into whatever need be.

Reactions: JTW
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Also going to say that the tool I have used the most on the trail and around the house is strangely enough this Dewalt 20V light
Upload 2018 3 26 13 35 5

it comes in so handy that I never leave without it to go riding...

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I moved to Ryobi, not the best quality but the large batteries have been good to me. The I have a 1/2" 18 v impact and it has worked great for me so far. I only buy the 1/2" hammer drill drills, they have a much better chuck.
Also have any of you guys actually checked the torque of a bolt after using your impact? My Ryobi actually is about 110 ft lbs. Not sure what the tag says! Not always the most arcate.
I have a 80ft torque stick that is suppose to get the lugs to 80ftLB - it comes up a little short. I have never checked just the impact Wrench alone

Reactions: Tramguage1

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!