Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
im still not sold on the Kobalt I got. I really like the affordable batteries, but Kobalt cant seem to keep a battery system very long which is concerning. I like the Milwaukee and am still considering it. I held some at HD yesterday and they were nice.

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
I have all Milwaukee:
Drill
Impact Driver
Sawsall
4.5" grinder
Circular saw
3/8" impact ratchet
Jigsaw
and a 12v drill driver.

None of mine are "fuel". I have used many of them A LOT! I keep thinking something is going to wear out but they all keep working.

The grinder drains batteries, other than that I continue to be amazed at how long the batteries last.

Bradley-Thornton

Bradley-Thornton

Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Hattiesburg MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've been using Dewalt for the last 10 years all my batteries still work have some 18v and some 20v. I charge them. Take them off. Charger use then recharge.

If I was starting over I would look at who has the most tools on battery with the best cost.

Reactions: JTW and swsebek
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I’m with @oldfortyfive and @ohanacreek. Was buying high end tools for years but about 7 years ago switched to Ridgid for the warranty because I got sick of a battery dying and winding up buying new tool. Ridgid uses same platform for batteries over the years and they are all interchangeable with each other. Warranty is stupid good if a tool wears out and it’s out of date you get a new model. Batteries seem to last much longer as well. Built our bus and many other big projects with them. I have a huge assortment drill, table-saw, vacuum, sander, impact ect and only two tools have failed but one got ran over. Quality is at least 95% of anything else but the warranty and price are incredible.

Last edited:
Dragon21

Dragon21

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
After messing around with the kobalt ones for a bit. I just don’t feel the quality feels up to par. Good specs online just not sold on it. So I’m gonna return it and I ordered some Milwaukee tools instead. Didn’t do the fuel line, but did go brushless.

Reactions: JTW
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
After messing around with the kobalt ones for a bit. I just don’t feel the quality feels up to par. Good specs online just not sold on it. So I’m gonna return it and I ordered some Milwaukee tools instead. Didn’t do the fuel line, but did go brushless.

Any reason you wouldn't go Milwaukee Fuel? Milwaukee has been really good about maintaining new batteries way beyond the tool line life. The fuel tools run cooler and put out more power. The only downside of the Fuel drill is needing the 90° handle for drilling holes 1/2" and up because it rips.

Dragon21

Dragon21

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Any reason you wouldn't go Milwaukee Fuel? Milwaukee has been really good about maintaining new batteries way beyond the tool line life. The fuel tools run cooler and put out more power. The only downside of the Fuel drill is needing the 90° handle for drilling holes 1/2" and up because it rips.

Price. $399 for the fuel combo and $269 for the brushless. Figured it was good middle ground between the fuel and the brushed versions.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have not looked at Milwaukee enough to know the difference between their lines but I do like their 3/8ths ratchet they have

Dragon21

Dragon21

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Got the 1/2" Kobalt compact impact in yesterday. Was planning on returning it, but figured what the heck, tried it on that stubborn axle nut and it took it off. Im debating on keeping it now, use it for riding and keep the nice stuff at home. My milwaukee stuff should be in today, so will be able to compare my old dewalt to the kobalt and milwaukee.

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
As you can see I'm a bit late on this thread cause I'm always working. But got a chance to show which brand I stand behind....I have been a fan of Dewalt because they are a great brand and I have never had a battery die where I could not bring it back to life. I use alligator test clips and when the battery is dead and the charger refuses to charge it I short the battery out. Or shock it...
It works ever time and then I use that battery till it's totally dead and then fully charge it the whole way and take it off and charge it one more time...
IMG 4130

swsebek

swsebek

Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
IMG 4129
This is the best cordless grinder I have found and will outlast and lithium or nI cad battery out there. It runs a Li Po battery and it is amazing what you can do with Lipo

Reactions: Mudwing
swsebek

swsebek

Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
And this little Bosch 3/8 drill is so amazing that I didn't need the dewalt cause it's 10 years and keeps chugging...But If goes I will go to Dewalt for sure....
IMG 4128

swsebek

swsebek

Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
I used to like Milwaukee but their first cordless drills sucked ballz. Now they seam better... I like they're corded stuff and these right here have treated me well for 20 some years now

swsebek

swsebek

Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Just remember to oil chucks and air oil air tools regularly. Wd-40 on cordless stuff and keep them out of rain And moisture. Almost all new stuff with some preventive no how will "Love you Long Time";)

Reactions: Outfitter and JTW
MikeG

MikeG

Dec 30, 2017
Baton Rouge LA.
Ownership

1. 700-2
The last few dewalts I’ve bought have left a bad taste in my mouth. I recently (in the last year)changed over to 18v Ryobi. The 1/4 impact driver will run circles around the 20v max 1/4 impact driver. Last week I picked up the 1/2” 300 lb. ft. impact (Bare tool) for 100.00 and I am impressed. Two extra batteries were only 55.00

Reactions: Tramguage1
sek-hunter

sek-hunter

Oct 28, 2013
I bought this one and the 3/8". I like them both what little I've got to use them. Read tons of good reviews on them before purchase (whatever that's worth). You can also catch the 2Ah batteries for like $5 sometimes during special promotions at Lowe's. I bought a couple of them and keep em charged. Reduces the weight of the tool a little too.
Wish I could find the 1/4' drive tool only at a store..

Last edited:
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
20180407 111514
The last few dewalts I’ve bought have left a bad taste in my mouth. I recently (in the last year)changed over to 18v Ryobi. The 1/4 impact driver will run circles around the 20v max 1/4 impact driver. Last week I picked up the 1/2” 300 lb. ft. impact (Bare tool) for 100.00 and I am impressed. Two extra batteries were only 55.00
I'm Ryobi also, my 1/2" impact removed lugs my 1/2" Milwaukee corded would not. I also have the Brad nailer. I used it almost exclusively in my baths remodel. It nailed over 80sqft of reclaimed lumber and 20 sqft of tin ceiling tiles.

Reactions: JTW

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!