Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I switched from my started set of Porter Cable to Dewalt 20v. Luckily I have enough corded power tools that I am not too heavily invested in a brand to switch. I could get 2 batteries and 2 more drill/ drivers for the price of 2 batteries for the dewalt.

GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have had really good luck with dewalt. My 18v lasted almost 8 years before they went bad. I have the 20v 1/4" impact and drill now going on 3 yrs batteries still hold charge like the day they were new.

Reactions: JTW and Dragon21
Dragon21

Dragon21

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I have had really good luck with dewalt. My 18v lasted almost 8 years before they went bad. I have the 20v 1/4" impact and drill now going on 3 yrs batteries still hold charge like the day they were new.
Both batteries that came in my kit have died and wont charge. I have the larger battery for my dewalt weed wacker (which i love) and thats still going strong. But only having 1 battery right now sucks

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Both batteries that came in my kit have died and wont charge. I have the larger battery for my dewalt weed wacker (which i love) and thats still going strong. But only having 1 battery right now sucks
Hey Drogon sometimes you can shock the memory out of them.... Sometimes the battery charger is confused cause the battery says it's charged when it's not.... I learned how to do this with Rc 8 volt battery's and rechargeables.... it works........ take a piece of wire and short the battery out to deplete all voltage... or I mean short it out. Make sure it's dead and won't turn drill. It's called shocking the battery...

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Do you leave them on the Charger all the time or until you need them or take them off once they are charged? I have heard that leaving on the charger all the time kills the battery - same is true for Phones etc..

Reactions: swsebek
swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
That's what does it... its better to kill them dead and then fully charge

Reactions: Ragnar406
Dragon21

Dragon21

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I only leave them on when they are charging. otherwise they are on the tool or in the tool bag

Reactions: Ragnar406
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
While we are on power tools I will say I have had good experience with the Milwaukee heated jacket... mind you it does not get blazing hot but provides enough warmth for when you are just sitting around or riding in the Honda.

Milwaukee Large M12 12-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Gray Heated Jacket Kit-201G-21L - The Home Depot

the batteries could last a little longer
Upload 2018 3 26 14 23 4

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Do you leave them on the Charger all the time or until you need them or take them off once they are charged? I have heard that leaving on the charger all the time kills the battery - same is true for Phones etc..

I switched over to Rigid because it’s a Lifetime warranty, and FREE battery replacement as long as you own your tool. I asked what if they stop making the batteries and I was told they would replace all of the tools and chargers you own for that battery platform.

The Rigid chargers are “maintaining” chargers meaning you can leave them connected.

One thing that kills lithium’s is is charging them in a vehicle as a vehicle invert is 99% lonely to NOT be a sine wave inverter. Lithium batteries do not like non-sine wave power. Also if you have very “dirty” power they die faster.

We’re the first leg off of a main substation, that’s about a mile away our power is very clean and no voltage swings. Hopefully I won’t be replacing batteries all the time but if I do I don’t care cause I’m not having to pay for them.

J

JTW

I like it! Kobalt is lifetime warranty, no?

Hate hearing you guys have had bad luck with Dewalt batteries, mine seem to be holding up for me.

Here is the new Dewalt one that was just introduced (mid sized) 330lb of torque https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0795Y49SQ/?tag=sxsweb24-20

I settled on the Dewalt 20v line a few years ago and I am too invested to switch now. going back to [HASHTAG]#ohanacreek[/HASHTAG] post I believe Dewalt and Black and Decker are in with Stanley and group as well. I have a few Milwaukee batteries, and tool chest that are nice.

But the impact Wrench is nice - Had the one above been out I would have gone with it over the one I have which is the High torque version, Says it will do up to 700 ft pounds.... So I am ready to drive some Lag bolts into whatever need be.
I agree... other than my axle nuts my 1/4 dewalt impact has been great. I have air tools but I find myself reaching for a breaker bar rather than pulling all that crap out.

advertisement
J

JTW

Dragon21

Dragon21

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I like it! Kobalt is lifetime warranty, no?

I agree... other than my axle nuts my 1/4 dewalt impact has been great. I have air tools but I find myself reaching for a breaker bar rather than pulling all that crap out.

Kobalt right now has a 1 year no questions asked return policy, and 5 years on the tool with 3 on the batteries.

Reactions: Tramguage1 and JTW
O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
Batteries are a crap shoot across the brands. That said my experience tells me that Makita must use a better quality battery. At work they are all Milwaukee and while the tools are great, their batteries are average at best. I've had Ridgid replace 4 of my batteries so far. The ones that failed died early on. I had some of the old 7.2volt Makita nicads go 15 years. My oldest lithium are around 6 years old now so we'll see how that goes. Overall any of the name brands will work well. It boils down to how good of a deal can you get and do they offer the tools you need. Milwaukee and Makita offer some really sweet 3/8 impact drivers that really handy on UTV's and bikes.

Dragon21

Dragon21

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Picked up a Kobalt Drill/ Driver set yesterday. and Ordered the 1/2" compact impact wrench. Im putting 1 year on my calendar since Kobalt offers a 1 year no questions asked return policy. The drill is noticeably heavier than my dewalt. But my dewalt is lower end with the plastic 3/8 chuck and this has a 1/2" metal chuck. Will charge the battery and see how it does

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I really like my Milwaukee M18 tools. I have 5 batteries and many of the tools. For tools I have the led flash light which lasts forever on a battery but isn't super bright. I have the Surge hex driver which is awesome for screwing screws. I have the compact 1/2" drive fuel impact rated at around 200ftlbs and it works well for UTV stuff. I have the mid torque impact fuel impact which is rated for around 600ftlbs and it's great for automotive use and rusty fasteners. I have the fuel hammer drill and it's a beastly battery powered drill. I love it. I have the 4.5" fuel grinder and it's excellent, one of my favorite battery tools. It cuts great, grinds even better and has a disc brake so you can set it down without waiting for the disk to coast to a stop. It really likes the 5.0 ah batteries. I also have the sawzall and it's convenient without a cord but I prefer my corded Milwaukee.

Reactions: Dragon21
advertisement