Prairie dog hunting??

J

JTW

So it’s been 20 years since I’ve been prairie dog hunting/shooting. Last time I was out for it I was a sophomore in highs school, we stayed in Elkhart Kansas and randomly met a local that put us on a spot that was covered up!! And we littealy had a blast!! I’m sure a lot has changed... So my brother in laws and I were talking tonight and want to get back out with our dads while we can... any of you all in areas with lots of dogs or that have suggestions for places let me know. Holler at me if you know of or have suggestions out that way. Thanks... JTW

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
IMG 3080

K

kswaterfowler

Oct 18, 2015
Kansas
Ownership

1. 700-4
Buddy goes to Wyoming every year. 2 years ago he got Tularemia from a prairie dog and almost died.

Reactions: Ragnar406 and JTW
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I’m in where ever you go! Just sighted in the rifle at 350 yesterday with my dad, hopefully that’s enough for p-dogs because it gets difficult for 5.56 (and me) to reach farther.

Reactions: Leatherneck and JTW
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
So it’s been 20 years since I’ve been prairie dog hunting/shooting. Last time I was out for it I was a sophomore in highs school, we stayed in Elkhart Kansas and randomly met a local that put us on a spot that was covered up!! And we littealy had a blast!! I’m sure a lot has changed... So my brother in laws and I were talking tonight and want to get back out with our dads while we can... any of you all in areas with lots of dogs or that have suggestions for places let me know. Holler at me if you know of or have suggestions out that way. Thanks... JTW

That brings back some great memories. I too haven't been for nearly 25 years. Only got to go once for 3 days but on Hornaday's dime they supplied ammo free. Long story but a rep for them set me up. When done went through 2500 plus rounds of 22.250 ammo ( just myself alone, 6 in our group) in a bolt action in 3 long glorious days of varmint killing. This was in SD on a big cattle ranch, we shoot out a town load up and move a mile or so start it at them again all day long.

J

JTW

That brings back some great memories. I too haven't been for nearly 25 years. Only got to go once for 3 days but on Hornaday's dime they supplied ammo free. Long story but a rep for them set me up. When done went through 2500 plus rounds of 22.250 ammo ( just myself alone, 6 in our group) in a bolt action in 3 long glorious days of varmint killing. This was in SD on a big cattle ranch, we shoot out a town load up and move a mile or so start it at them again all day long.
I bet that was a good time!

Reactions: sharp
advertisement
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I bet that was a good time!
Oh it was, nothing better than to get to toted around, fed very well, and supply all the ammo too. Back then I couldn't have afforded the ammo I shot let alone the trip. Pretty much it was a shoot test what is now the Hornaday XTP varmint round. Each of the six of us had a different caliber and 3000 rounds per person to shoot. Then they had thier people spotting for us and examining the carnage of bullet performance and accuracy, if we missed they would ask if I thought it was me or the rounds. All my misses were human or range error, trying 400+ yards in wind lol.

Reactions: JTW and sharp
Leatherneck

Leatherneck

Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2017
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Oh it was, nothing better than to get to toted around, fed very well, and supply all the ammo too. Back then I couldn't have afforded the ammo I shot let alone the trip. Pretty much it was a shoot test what is now the Hornaday XTP varmint round. Each of the six of us had a different caliber and 3000 rounds per person to shoot. Then they had thier people spotting for us and examining the carnage of bullet performance and accuracy, if we missed they would ask if I thought it was me or the rounds. All my misses were human or range error, trying 400+ yards in wind lol.
Hornady xtp's are some pretty nice bullets they are getting closer to sierra

Reactions: sharp
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Hornady xtp's are some pretty nice bullets they are getting closer to sierra
Ya, my favorite varmint round for this poor boy was hand loading Sierra 85 gr. HPBT in my .243 Win. gun was a very inexpensive Savage 110 left handed with a $150 TASCO 6x24x50 scope. Less than $500 in the setup but I could pop crows in half all day long at 350 yards and coyotes out to 600. Had 9000 acres of riverbottom fields with a 36 foot high levee system. Just set up prone on top of levee and had full sections (640 acres / 1 mile square) to overlook. Just call them in and wait until in range.

Leatherneck

Leatherneck

Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2017
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes the sierra 85g in 243 is extremely accurate. I have a 6mm Lapua which is a 243 with small primers I use to shoot golf balls at 850 yards. Those little pills scream at about 3800 fps.

Reactions: JTW and Plumber32
Leatherneck

Leatherneck

Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2017
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes the sierra 85g in 243 is extremely accurate. I have a 6mm Lapua which is a 243 with small primers I use to shoot golf balls at 850 yards. Those little pills scream at about 3800 fps.
My 6
View attachment 63153
I have been bitten by the 6.5 creemore bug for dogs "prairie and coyotes"
This rifle started out as a 243 savage 10 did the same thing to it I am going to do to this Pioneer lol. Now it is a 6.5 creedmor 26" fluted bartlien barrel drake chassis blueprinted receiver and bolt. 20 moa base vortex razor. Still trying the milk jug at 1 mile.

Reactions: JTW
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I recently won a ruger .204 havent shot it yet. Planning on getting some glass for it soon, any recommendations?

Reactions: JTW
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
@JTW back to one of your original questions there is a place as close as Kansas. For $200 a day they put you up in good lodging provided meals and set you up on cattle pasture dog towns. I looked into before I retired but could never get away. But now.... I'm sitting on 7K plus .223 rounds just itching to reinact "Gone in 60 seconds."

Volume 1 & Volume 2 + Bonus Material

Reactions: Leatherneck and JTW
Leatherneck

Leatherneck

Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2017
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I recently won a ruger .204 havent shot it yet. Planning on getting some glass for it soon, any recommendations?
.204 goes sub sonic at about 900 yards and starts flipping so any of the vortex viper line or leupolds are really nice glass just depends on how much you want to spend. I would love to have a Schmidt Bender but way out of my price range. I used a SB PM II while I was in the military and it was by far the best I have ever looked thru. You can get into one for about 3500$.

M

-MC

Nov 2, 2017
Wy
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Buddy goes to Wyoming every year. 2 years ago he got Tularemia from a prairie dog and almost died.

Wow that is unfortunate. Why was he handling the dead prairie dog? Did they want to eat them?

Usually their little prairie dog buddies pull the bodies into the holes and eat them before you can get to them.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!