P1000 Problem areas? "must do" mods? what are they?

mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
SE Washington State/N Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
With the Yamaha, I knew all the mods that were important. I knew all the downfall's of the machine, the things that frustrated owners.

What are those things with the 1000-5?

I see stuff about seat heat? Does the cab get hot from the motor? If so.. how bad? can it be rectified?

Anything else?

Reactions: BWAF
T

tbaker

Aug 31, 2013
NW. Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
What year model is it that will tell a lot about what you need to do. Most people extend the vent lines and do a full skid plate first. If your pioneer is a 2016 our a 2017 you will want to get the clutch update done along with the heat shield update and make sure the air intake under the hood has the right top on most people put a snorkel on so not to worry about taking on water if they ride in water

T

tbaker

Aug 31, 2013
NW. Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Also there are some post on here about people put fans under the seat to pull the heat out and also putting insulation under the seats

mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I haven't made the switch yet, but when I do, it'll be either a 17 or an 18.

Not too worried about snorkels. I live in the PNW. All you goofballs in the south use a SxS like a darned submarine hahaha! I might cross a creek now and then, but not gonna get much deeper than the floor.

So the Honda has a significant amount of cab heat from the motor? I know the CanAms do. How bad is it? We ride a lot in the summer, & excessive cab heat would not be good.

Does the addition of insulation make a big difference?

T

tbaker

Aug 31, 2013
NW. Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Get the 2018 model all the updates have been done from the factory I have the P3 so I don't know bout the heat on the P5 the heat doesn't bother me there are post on here if what people have done or experienced

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Get the 2018 model all the updates have been done from the factory I have the P3 so I don't know bout the heat on the P5 the heat doesn't bother me there are post on here if what people have done or experienced
If you ride in the warm months, even with all the heat improvements, heat will come up between the seat and bed, you will probably need a fan if you haul dogs or passengers in a P1-5. I have all the heat improvements + more and it still gets hot in the back, front is fine. There is a kit out that takes an Att Wood marine fan and mounts by the exhaust header and ducts through the skid plate, pretty nice set up, but I don't like the idea of cutting a 3 inch hole in my skid plate, may pick up one of these and duct it out the back under the bed, I use my skid plate a lot and don't need a big hole for stuff to catch on, HA!

BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you ride in the warm months, even with all the heat improvements, heat will come up between the seat and bed, you will probably need a fan if you haul dogs or passengers in a P1-5. I have all the heat improvements + more and it still gets hot in the back, front is fine. There is a kit out that takes an Att Wood marine fan and mounts by the exhaust header and ducts through the skid plate, pretty nice set up, but I don't like the idea of cutting a 3 inch hole in my skid plate, may pick up one of these and duct it out the back under the bed, I use my skid plate a lot and don't need a big hole for stuff to catch on, HA!
Do it like mine no flex tube in summer flex tube from fan to vent in winter wired so fan reverses 3749ebc28ad2f72e6cbae285f89b0398A685d0c443f44094bf51d2df575d103e6dcd88d0b18084a8a4d93b783f07584c

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Riding in Idaho, I would recommend that you get an upgraded skid plate and a 4500# winch.
A roof and a windshield are really nice, too.
Yep... those two are a must. I USE the skids and A arm guards on my Viking..

IMG 0686

mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Reactions: popeye and BWAF
advertisement
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I haven't made the switch yet, but when I do, it'll be either a 17 or an 18.

Not too worried about snorkels. I live in the PNW. All you goofballs in the south use a SxS like a darned submarine hahaha! I might cross a creek now and then, but not gonna get much deeper than the floor.

So the Honda has a significant amount of cab heat from the motor? I know the CanAms do. How bad is it? We ride a lot in the summer, & excessive cab heat would not be good.

Does the addition of insulation make a big difference?
If you go 18 no worry but concerning the snorkel notes if you get a 17 you will want to make sure your Honda has the updated air intake. The old style was prone to reports of water from small puddle splashing up in side due to the opening facing front.

Heat - all of these get hot no way around it if it hot out it will warm. However no windshield/ half windshield really helps out along with the updated heat kit from Honda and a fan add on. I am so recommend adding an aftermarket seat heat shield too the one that is like a car window shade.
Adding aftermarket accessories that restrict air flow will turn up the temp...

First time riding in 90* weather this year since adding the Honda comfort kit and the super atv windshield that flips up and the heat was noticeably reduced. It was nice.

I would vent your difs, gas tank and sub Tran too

J

JTW

If you add a winch (which is a must in my opinion) add a second battery as the voltage drops can screw with the shifting. As stated the 2018’s take care of several of the “must do’s”. I also extend vent tubes (there’s a cheap kit a guy sells on here). A good uhmw full skid plate is a must.

mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
Ownership

1. 1000-3
View attachment 77730

A face only a mother could love.....
yea... she's not a real pretty girl, but other than exhaust noise and a lack of upper end power, it's a great machine. That bugger will go wherever the he!! I point it.

Hey... lets face it, the 1000-5 has a pretty funky look with the way the cage goes outside the bodywork. That is the one aspect of the design I'm not real fond of.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
yea... she's not a real pretty girl, but other than exhaust noise and a lack of upper end power, it's a great machine. That bugger will go wherever the he!! I point it.

Hey... lets face it, the 1000-5 has a pretty funky look with the way the cage goes outside the bodywork. That is the one aspect of the design I'm not real fond of.
Yea I was going to take the rear ROPS off, until I rode it a couple of times and showed all the scratches on the rear ROPs, thought about the cost of tail light versus scratch, left the ugly rear ROP's on.

OnTheJob

OnTheJob

Dec 29, 2017
Bristol, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-3

I've got two Yamaha ATV's and two Yamaha TT-R's in the garage as well. Much respect for the Yamaha. I looked hard at the Viking but my Pioneer is more of a work machine first and a play toy second. I thought the Pioneer was more of a work horse. I also looked hard at a diesel Polaris Ranger. Then I read all the problems they were having.

Reactions: mjn
mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Reactions: popeye and BWAF
BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So just having that little fan in there makes a noticeable difference? without ducting it to the rear of the machine?
Yes at trail speeds and sitting still it blows the heat right off manifold to rear of machine .I think they are 240 cfm

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Reactions: JTW and Smitty335
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!