P1000 Problem areas? "must do" mods? what are they?

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
yea... she's not a real pretty girl, but other than exhaust noise and a lack of upper end power, it's a great machine. That bugger will go wherever the he!! I point it.

Hey... lets face it, the 1000-5 has a pretty funky look with the way the cage goes outside the bodywork. That is the one aspect of the design I'm not real fond of.
P1K-5 has always reminded me of this...
MT CircusElephant 500x
7171DDC4 9810 464A 9411 0DB983D83F50

Last edited:
BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Any signs of the fan melting from the engine/exhaust heat? What if you don't run it on a warm day just idling?
I don't run mine all the time . I got in the other day and my daughter had it on winter time Direction and I didn't smell anything funny but I haven't looked at it since I put it in.I have the comfort update plus the one piece eBay kit

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Reactions: OnTheJob
Sparkyknowsbest

Sparkyknowsbest

Apr 20, 2016
Henderson NV
E4D58B82 7B05 406B AB31 D7A14B06E60B
With the Yamaha, I knew all the mods that were important. I knew all the downfall's of the machine, the things that frustrated owners.

What are those things with the 1000-5?

I see stuff about seat heat? Does the cab get hot from the motor? If so.. how bad? can it be rectified?

Anything else?

I live in the Las Vegas NV area and the seat heat is the biggest problem by far. No need for a snorkel here, the only time it’s wet is when I wash the dust off. You can burn your hand resting it on the cushion after a short ride. I bought memory foam car seat cushions from Wal Wart for $25a piece to sit on instead of being fried. I had one of the first prototype heat shields installed on mine, not much help. It’s an engineering oversight that needs correction in subsequent models. I have the 2016 1000-5 MD in white and love the look and performance, but not the heat. I may be switching to a Can Am two seater since we don’t need to haul grand kids any more...if the Can Am is as bad with heat as the Pioneer, I will keep looking. Don’t want to have my butt “medium well” at the end of each ride. In the pic,mine is third machine from the front.

Reactions: BWAF
J

JTW

View attachment 77958

I live in the Las Vegas NV area and the seat heat is the biggest problem by far. No need for a snorkel here, the only time it’s wet is when I wash the dust off. You can burn your hand resting it on the cushion after a short ride. I bought memory foam car seat cushions from Wal Wart for $25a piece to sit on instead of being fried. I had one of the first prototype heat shields installed on mine, not much help. It’s an engineering oversight that needs correction in subsequent models. I have the 2016 1000-5 MD in white and love the look and performance, but not the heat. I may be switching to a Can Am two seater since we don’t need to haul grand kids any more...if the Can Am is as bad with heat as the Pioneer, I will keep looking. Don’t want to have my butt “medium well” at the end of each ride. In the pic,mine is third machine from the front.
So instead of adding a $50 seat heat fix with a bilge fan you’re going to trade it?

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I can't imagine riding with a windshield if it's over 60° F. Seems silly to me and I bet it's hot.

Reactions: 0860silverado

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I can't imagine riding with a windshield if it's over 60° F. Seems silly to me and I bet it's hot.
I hear ya but it all depends on what you're doing with your machine. I use mine mostly on road at WOT for a rural water provider. A rock thrown from an on-coming semi-truck can mess you up real bad. Bugs don't taste good either!

Reactions: Plumber32 and JTW

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Bug buster windscreen.
Been eyeing those and an Alien sunscreen roof. Should cut down heat and noise. Only problem is how to install mirrors with bugbuster? I'm required by law to have mirrors.

advertisement
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Been eyeing those and an Alien sunscreen roof. Should cut down heat and noise. Only problem is how to install mirrors with bugbuster? I'm required by law to have mirrors.

Where there is a will there is a way. I highly doubt the law says it has to be on the ROPS. Worst case drill the fender or door and bolt one up.

Personally I wear a full off road helmet and goggles so the bugbuster would be a waste for me. I full face helmet on the street bike too. That seems to kill the bugs for me as well. Like the old Bell add said "Wear a $10 helmet if you have a $10 head" or something like that.

Hot? Sometimes, but I'd rather sweat buckets than bleed a single drop. I've, uh, "retired" more than 1 helmet in my day.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Oh wow! I just looked at the Bugbuster website and they can custom make one compatible for mirrors and or lightbars! $25.00 upcharge each.

Reactions: ohanacreek
mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
SE Washington State/N Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Are there any differences in "must do" mods for the 3 vs the 5? I think I'm off the 5. I'm just gonna go with the 3 when I make the leap. It's just going to be a quieter, more powerful version of what I have now. :)

mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
SE Washington State/N Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Personally I wear a full off road helmet and goggles so the bugbuster would be a waste for me. I full face helmet on the street bike too. That seems to kill the bugs for me as well. Like the old Bell add said "Wear a $10 helmet if you have a $10 head" or something like that.

Hot? Sometimes, but I'd rather sweat buckets than bleed a single drop. I've, uh, "retired" more than 1 helmet in my day.

When I was in my teens and 20's, I rode street all the time without a lid. Not anymore. I dress for the crash regardless the weather.

In our SxS though? Nah. I'll belt myself in once in awhile, but no lid. Our average speed thus far in the Vike is 4.43 mph.

Reactions: 0860silverado
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When I was in my teens and 20's, I rode street all the time without a lid. Not anymore. I dress for the crash regardless the weather.

In our SxS though? Nah. I'll belt myself in once in awhile, but no lid. Our average speed thus far in the Vike is 4.43 mph.

It is a personal choice for sure and I'm not here to preach safety. You do you. I'm cool with that.

I'm also not saying I've never been on my ATV or the SxS without a helmet, but I will usually put a helmet on just to pull the toys in or out of the garage out of habit. I started telling my son since the day he got his dirtbike at two he has to wear a helmet before a foot touches a peg so I do try not to be a hypocrite about it. lol

advertisement