BOX1
Resource icon

Multi PSA - Fuel tank breather hose - IMPORTANT modification for ALL!

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is a public service announcement brought to you by HondaSxS.com
EXTEND YOUR PIONEER'S FUEL TANK BREATHER HOSE TODAY!

This applies to all models of the Pioneer.
- Pioneer 500
- Pioneer 700
- Pioneer 1000

Recently I have read at least 4 post where riders sunk there Pioneer. Now being its a HONDA, once you clear the vapor lock, drain the air box, and muffler it should crank right up.... But this was not the case.
Come to find out the fuel tank was contaminated with water in all 4 machines.

Being I am not afraid of the water I figured I needed to look into this before I became a victim. Well good news, I have figured out why so much water gets into the fuel so quickly...

Here's a quick video to explain.

Ok, ok... so the video is not exactly what happens but hopefully you can get the idea.

The fuel tank on the Pioneer is right beside the HOT motor. There is no doubt both the fuel and the air inside get fairly hot. Now, once your tank gets submerged it quickly cools and that creates negative pressure. Since the Pioneer is under water so is the breather hose for the fuel tank. Instead of pulling in air to relieve the negative pressure it pulls in water like a fire pump. Oh no... BAD day for you...

So, Please...
SNORKEL YOUR FUEL TANK BREATHER HOSE.
This has been a public service announcement brought to you by HondaSxS.com
Thank you!

Here is a few pics of what I did Friday.
1530 1531 1532 1533 1534 1535

Last edited:
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks I have been fairly dormant on the Pioneer with so much else going on this summer, this fall and winter there are going to be some upgrades done and this is going to be one of them, we have a creek that sometimes comes out of its banks and the only way across the back part of our land is boat, walk around, or ride through the water.

Reactions: Rocket
hurld

hurld

Lifetime Member
Feb 19, 2014
Nice instructions! I did my fuel tank vent hose tonight. I haven't snorkeled it yet. Are there any other vent lines to raise to higher ground before I snorkel the air intake? The front and rear diff seem to be vented into the frame, which I would think should be fine.

Reactions: BWAF
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I will only be doing the fuel tank , but other people do the...
Front diff
Rear diff
Fan motor
And some do coolent overflow.
I guess it depends if you are a full time deep water rider or a part time maybe up to the seat level rider.

HondaTim

HondaTim

Feb 8, 2014
I would definitely like to see someone post how they did the diff, s....hell and the fan motor.

HondaTim

HondaTim

Feb 8, 2014
Anyone with a response to what I asked would be appreciated ... maybe to cautious but would like to know just to do ... you never know what liquid courage could get you to do until you do it lol.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Tim, I haven't done mine but I can take a look and see. I would want to pipe it up into the dash area somewhere as I will never be that deep.

HondaTim

HondaTim

Feb 8, 2014
The coolant overflow I could see but I would think that if you ran it straight up that it would not work properly.

Reactions: EagleEye and BWAF
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ya, it wouldn't 100%. But it's main purpose is for pressure relief so it will still serve that purpose and push water out when at a boil.

And your question is why I never done mine I guess.

HondaTim

HondaTim

Feb 8, 2014
Just if I was to snorkel I would like to have everything in one tied together assembly ... air intake, coolant overflow, diff ' s , and fuel line vent.

HondaTim

HondaTim

Feb 8, 2014
Still trying to put it together how you would do the cooling fan?

HondaTim

HondaTim

Feb 8, 2014
Sorry to keep on with the questions but if I don't know I will ask lol.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You can tie the front and rear diff and fan line all together in 1 line. But I would run a second line for the coolent. And 3rd for fuel.

Say you decide to run them up along the snorkel tube. Run the diff line high and the fuel 1 inch lower and the coolent another inch lower.

You just don't want coolent to be able to enter those lines however you do it.

G

green02crew

Jan 12, 2015
Is this different on the P4 or the 2015s? I can't seem to locate a typical breather. There is what looks like a breather coming off the top of the tank but it goes around the back of the motor and dead ends on top going into something?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Green, it may in fact be different on the 15's. I read they may be changing to recovery system and burning the fumes off like a vacuum hose on autos.
This needs confirming though.

If this happens. Then this post becomes irrelevant for 2015+ models.

G

green02crew

Jan 12, 2015
Well anybody that would like can come look as I have no clue what I'm looking at. I doubt anyone wants to drive to NH though especially Northern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beacheagle70

Beacheagle70

Lifetime Member
Make sure the hose that you use on the fuel tank is "fuel resistant" meaning ethanol fuel will not disolves it. The alcohol in ethanol will turn some rubber to mush. Had to replace rubber fuel lines on old motor cycles and cars when we got stuck with ethanol fuel.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!