P1000 Putting engine oil in dipstick hole (My Bonehead Move)

P

P1000Paul

Dec 11, 2019
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Can anyone tell me what harm there is in putting a quart of engine oil into the engine oil dipstick hole on a pioneer 1000?

I wasn't paying attention and intended to put that quart in the sub transmission hole which is under the seat. I fully admit it was a bonehead move. Yes, I now have 7 quarts in the engine area and I'm sure I'll need to drain a quart out.

Just need to know if there is any other potential harm I have done? I have not started the machine since the oil was put in.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Can anyone tell me what harm there is in putting a quart of engine oil into the engine oil dipstick hole on a pioneer 1000?

I wasn't paying attention and intended to put that quart in the sub transmission hole which is under the seat. I fully admit it was a bonehead move. Yes, I now have 7 quarts in the engine area and I'm sure I'll need to drain a quart out.

Just need to know if there is any other potential harm I have done? I have not started the machine since the oil was put in.
Don't think you have done any harm, it's just a pain to get the over fill out, I tried to remove filter and drain it out, doesn't work. So drain a quart out of the engine drain plug, pain in the A, but's the only way I found. Been there done that!

P

P1000Paul

Dec 11, 2019
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Don't think you have done any harm, it's just a pain to get the over fill out, I tried to remove filter and drain it out, doesn't work. So drain a quart out of the engine drain plug, pain in the A, but's the only way I found. Been there done that!
Thank you Smitty for the reply without making fun of me (which I clearly deserve!). I'm ok with the pain in the A. It will remind me to pay greater attention to what I'm doing in the future.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Thank you Smitty for the reply without making fun of me (which I clearly deserve!). I'm ok with the pain in the A. It will remind me to pay greater attention to what I'm doing in the future.
Hay man, chit happens! We all make mistakes. Ive made my fair share of them. What u did wasnt that bad. Just drain what u can, recheck it and add if needed. All will be fine. 👍

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Ya. No harm.
Just allow time to it to settle before cranking.

Many fill through the dip stick. This is ok as long as you allow it to settle.

Your actually filling the crank case and not the oil tank as you should be.

Imigian the damage that could occure from a way overfilled crankcase when you try to start it immidetaly after stuffing it full of 6qt's of oil.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Guess I didn't read the whole thing. Lol.

Ya. Need to remove some.
Best method would be to siphon it out. Use some windshield washer tube, stick it down in then blow air across the other end. It will pull it out and into a bucket if below the machine.

L

LarryAmboy

May 14, 2017
Castalian Springs, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Get one of these to extract the extra quart.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

P

P1000Paul

Dec 11, 2019
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks for the idea and thank you all for the input.

I ended up letting about a quart out by very carefully loosening the forward drain plug to the point just before it was completely unscrewed.
Oil drained out slowly.

The engine oil dipstick now shows an oil level 1mm above the full mark on the dipstick

I still have not yet started the machine and am going to let things settle out overnight and check the dipstick again in the morning.

I’m guessing you all think that is a reasonable plan?

P

P1000Paul

Dec 11, 2019
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks for the idea and thank you all for the input.

I ended up letting about a quart out by very carefully loosening the forward drain plug to the point just before it was completely unscrewed.
Oil drained out slowly.

The engine oil dipstick now shows an oil level 1mm above the full mark on the dipstick

I still have not yet started the machine and am going to let things settle out overnight and check the dipstick again in the morning.

To clarify - I originally put 6.1 quarts in the correct oil reservoir fill hole. I then mistakenly put a single quart into the oil dipstick hole that *should* have been poured into the sub transmission. So, only a single quart went directly into the crankcase.

Reactions: Lady01
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R

Yep, sounds good to me.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!