Talon questionable steering.

ThunderChicken

ThunderChicken

Sep 7, 2019
BATH
Ownership

1. Talon X
1st time out on my new talon x. Rode over a hundred miles in WV this weekend. A few times I seemed to notice what I would call questionable steering response. It seemed to be fine when turning right. the least little movement of the steering wheel would turn the wheels and you would go right. A few left turns it would seem to take a lot of steering wheel movement to go left. Almost a sloppy too easy feel to it. then it would seem to correct it itself. didn't seem to matter what terrain rocks, mud holes or 50 mph down the highway. most of the time it was perfect other times not so much.

Reactions: Isaiah and BWAF
MFG

MFG

Mar 14, 2019
East Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
check your front end alignment. A bunch of Talons where delivered with the alignment way off. Mine was a good inch to two inches out. I set mine at zero but an eight inch towed in would not hurt.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
check your front end alignment. A bunch of Talons where delivered with the alignment way off. Mine was a good inch to two inches out. I set mine at zero but an eight inch towed in would not hurt.
Not just Talons, all there S X S's!

Reactions: BWAF
H

HondaTech

I've had a few Talons that have had the wheel rub the A-arm due to the steering rack being out of adjustment left or right.

Reactions: 1HasBeen
F

Fyathyrio

Sep 24, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I read this question this morning, and was gonna give a smartass response of some sort, but went to vote & then hit the trails instead. For whatever reason, this question popped into my head while out riding.

What it sounds like from your limited description is under-steer, the front end sliding instead of turning while on slick or soft surfaces and when off the gas. Try hitting the gas next time you feel that, a little gas and it'll be neutral, a lot and the back end breaks loose and comes around nicely.

I doubt it's mechanical since it's intermittent, and the only on left turn issue could be a comfort zone thing where you're subconsciously more cautious on left turns. (Mine is lean angle, I don't like right hand as far as left hand lean)

Embrace rear steer, slow down before the turn, downshift, stomp gas to bring rear around, squirt out down the trail. Works best in 2WD.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Make sure you didn't bend a tie rod.

Reactions: Isaiah
ThunderChicken

ThunderChicken

Sep 7, 2019
BATH
Ownership

1. Talon X
sorry if its seem like a strange question. it just isn't consistent. That's what has me baffled. no sliding of the rear end no slippage of the tires on slippery surfaces. Sometimes even on the pavement. just the slightest right turn of the wheel and it moves right. Then some left turns it takes almost 3/4 of a turn to get any left hand movement. BUT its NOT all the time thats whats confusing. Could all be in my mind. Getting first service tomorrow. I'll have everything checked then.

M

Mothgrey

Sep 16, 2019
Virginia
Ownership

1. Talon X
Hey Thunder I just took my Talon in for service. I'm having a steering issue also. Mine I felt the fist time a week ago in WV I was on the road and about 1/4 to 1/3 turn to the left the wheel was fighting me like it didn't want to turn. Then it kept doing it. I took it to the dealer Saturday and when I unloaded it I put it in park and turned the steering wheel it did the same thing sitting still. I had the guy checking me in feel it also it was there turning right also but not as bad. It felt like it was trying to get past a bad steering knuckle or one at a bad angle. I'm hoping to hear back this week.

RB3offroad

RB3offroad

Vendor
Nov 2, 2017
Tempe, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I agree alot of them have been out alignment, but it should be that way alway so that is concerning when it is happening only sometimes.

Reactions: Isaiah
robman

robman

Sep 5, 2019
Ownership

1. Talon R
I read on one of the facebook talon groups that it could be caused by low voltage from the battery. He said the voltage would drop to about 9 volts when turning the steering wheel while driving. You may have a bad battery. That's what I got from the post.

Reactions: IDIOT and JTW
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I read on one of the facebook talon groups that it could be caused by low voltage from the battery. He said the voltage would drop to about 9 volts when turning the steering wheel while driving. You may have a bad battery. That's what I got from the post.
Wow! That would be a simple check and fix!

Reactions: IDIOT
J

JTW

That would make sense as it’s an electric assist PS system. It wouldn’t be the first time bad batteries from Honda have caused some weird issues.

Reactions: Mudder
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
That would make sense as it’s an electric assist PS system. It wouldn’t be the first time bad batteries from Honda have caused some weird issues.
Don't forget about lose/rusty/corroded grounds too.

Reactions: Mudder
my99svt

my99svt

I identify as a lesbian
Lifetime Member
Dec 25, 2016
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
Ownership

1. Talon X

2. Talon R
Hey Thunder I just took my Talon in for service. I'm having a steering issue also. Mine I felt the fist time a week ago in WV I was on the road and about 1/4 to 1/3 turn to the left the wheel was fighting me like it didn't want to turn. Then it kept doing it. I took it to the dealer Saturday and when I unloaded it I put it in park and turned the steering wheel it did the same thing sitting still. I had the guy checking me in feel it also it was there turning right also but not as bad. It felt like it was trying to get past a bad steering knuckle or one at a bad angle. I'm hoping to hear back this week.

If you are still a member here, What did your dealer say about this?

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I agree alot of them have been out alignment, but it should be that way alway so that is concerning when it is happening only sometimes.
It's an additional charge if you want a Honda alignment right!

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Find a dealer who cares and you wont pay a dime!
Got any suggestions around NW Arkansas? After Honda comes out with a Pioneer with suspension and added HP, I will start looking, if I haven't bought a Yamaha by then! I really think Honda is really stupid with the Talon, too much gizmos to go wrong!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!