P1000 Questions about adding a horn

R

Red21

Aug 9, 2021
sioux falls, sd
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A horn is required here in South Dakota to be street legal. I purchased one through Amazon. I got just the horn and switch, but no wiring or instuctions or anything else. Here are my questiions:

1) Where is the best place to install the button? I don't see any empty slots where the button could be put in? If not, do I cut a hole for the button?

2) Do most UTV dealers sell wiring harness's? Maybe Harbor freight?

3) Does anyone know or have a wiring diagram, or know where I can find one on the Internet?

Thanks guys. Any help is appreciated

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
A horn is required here in South Dakota to be street legal. I purchased one through Amazon. I got just the horn and switch, but no wiring or instuctions or anything else. Here are my questiions:

1) Where is the best place to install the button? I don't see any empty slots where the button could be put in? If not, do I cut a hole for the button?

3) Does anyone know or have a wiring diagram, or know where I can find one on the Internet?

Basic set up! Will work for you

Wellzy

Wellzy

Dec 9, 2020
SW Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Easy peasy, drill a hole where you can access the wiring to the back of the switch. I use my sacraficial switch plate as it is easy to replace if I ever make a mistake or want to change my layout.

My power comes from the key on harness available at the store in this site. Power goes to switch, out from switch to the horn (either male tab, it doesn't matter). Ground from the horn (the other male tab) goes out to the bolt the horn is bolted to the front frame behind the headlight next to the radiator.

Good luck!

Dash

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What Remington posted above (#3).

Here's the spot I picked, pull the cup holder for easy access (didn't want to reach over with my right hand). I subsequently replaced the silver switch (shown) with black labeled "horn" switch with blue lighting.

20211007 105941

The air horn is from Amazon and fits under the right fender Horn
Just to the left and above the horn is my "super simple" mount! Didn't use the supplied mount. The SS hose clamp fits through an existing slot in the horn metal casting. I slotted a piece of coolant hose (pretty much any rubber hose will work, and fitted it on the tubular fender support strut. The SS hose clamp goes around that cinched up tight. This provide a firm shock-mounted mount that couldn't be much easier. (Not tested with bigger tires but looks like plenty of room for 28's.)

20211003 184434

And is it LOUD!

Wellzy

Wellzy

Dec 9, 2020
SW Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
bumperm, I bet we have the same horn button, it works great.

Last edited:
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
bumbperm, I bet we have the same horn button, it works great.

Ladies and Gentlemen, place your bets!!

Horn button

Will say, the above horn button , which works great, was miss-wired from the factory. Had to use a thin tool (made for removing terminals from plastic plug housings) to move one terminal to the correct hole. I could have dispensed with that hassle, by directly soldering the wires to the button, but I had the tool handy. I think some of the reviews on Amazon mentioned that little screw-up, but I figured my luck was better than the reviewer. It wasn't.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

It’s been so long for my ‘18, but I’m sure I used the factory kit which is plug and play and has good instructions. The button is on the dash behind the left paddle shifter.

StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a 2021 P1k5 LE.

Be careful, plan for future adds, and check for clearance behind wherever you decide to put the switches!!

I put my red horn switch and dual voltmeter above the stock switches on the right side.
Some people prefer to have the horn circuit always live (not key on power).

I kept the left side for the turn signal, winch (I plow and drive right handed, left hand on winch), and the under seat reversible fan.

Best of luck.

Reactions: Smitty335
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Reactions: ChadD and Smitty335

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!