P1000 Quick release steering wheel

S

saw1

Apr 17, 2018
Fallon, Nevada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I found quick release hub from DragonFire Racing that will fit the Pioneer and wonder if any forum members have this device on their P1K. Could this be used as theft deterrent if the steering wheel was removed when it was stored or traveling to and from rides. I have good insurance but I'd still rather not lose mine to thieves.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I found quick release hub from DragonFire Racing that will fit the Pioneer and wonder if any forum members have this device on their P1K. Could this be used as theft deterrent if the steering wheel was removed when it was stored or traveling to and from rides. I have good insurance but I'd still rather not lose mine to thieves.
Hum... I don't recall anyone with this, I do remember a few changing out the wheel with a different one tho!
Post more details if you will. Thanks.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
93 accord hub (along with all models related) fits the Pioneer. You’ll save quite a bit without buying a kit. I did originally buy a quick release setup but decided not to use it because it placed the steering wheel 1/2 inch towards the driver so paddles are harder to comfortably reach but it’s still a direct fit. Used a roller horn contact from an old Dodge truck on the backside to make horn work. It was worth it, aftermarket wheel is way more grippy and comfortable.
21C386F9 DBFC 4D71 BB93 6A90578A6B17
98DB6E9E 9256 496E AB6A 89223F088C0A
B7AAC8F4 955A 48C7 A66D 95F9700A3877

Last edited:
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
93 accord hub (along with all models related) fits the Pioneer. You’ll save quite a bit without buying a kit. I did originally buy a quick release setup but decided not to use it because it placed the steering wheel 1/2 inch towards the driver so paddles are harder to comfortably reach but it’s still a direct fit. Used a roller horn contact from an old Dodge truck on the backside to make horn work. It was worth it, aftermarket wheel is way more grippy and comfortable.
View attachment 78033 View attachment 78034 View attachment 78035
Didn't you have to machine the adapter slightly? I think I read that in the build thread?
Or was this a true bolt on affair?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Didn't you have to machine the adapter slightly? I think I read that in the build thread?
Or was this a true bolt on affair?
For the horn to have clearance to be usable 1/8 has to be ground from the steering shaft. I did not do that with this machine (no horn yet) direct bolt on.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@CumminsPusher or anyone close to their machine.
What diameter is the steering wheel?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
@CumminsPusher or anyone close to their machine.
What diameter is the steering wheel?
350mm is closest. It’ll allow seamless use of the paddles. I’ve got both 320 and 350, 320 is better in the really tight stuff that we like but it takes a little getting use to the paddles sitting out just a bit.
Need to use the narrow adapter hub.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Still surprised no one else has done this yet, it’s cheap and easy but make sure it fits those cars because it’s a small shaft, not many take it, took a bit to figure out what makes will work.

I bought that cheapy hub just for the rubber boot so it’s a nice finish to the dash, worth it for the money and slipped right on the narrow hub. So still buy that for looks, just use the boot and toss the long hub.

That hub is too long you need the short hub like below then you just need adapter for the horn button like the bottom pic.
B3914A03 9C9C 429B B406 D47350B58053

Steering Wheel Short Hub Adapter Billet For Honda Civic Accord Acura | eBay
A747A50E 439F 4AA6 A6B5 1B63062CD72B

100% new Steering Wheel Spacer Hub Adapter Kit Black for MOMO to NARDI PERSONAL | eBay

Those 3 parts for under 50$ gets you hooked up for any steering wheel you want and is reversible to factory if needed.

Last edited:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I did forget that I ground a little off of the hub adapter so @Neohio you memory was right but no machining at all. Wanted to make sure info was accurate. This was done to get paddle spacing to steering wheel correct. There was a lot done to Puddle Jumper in that month so memory was off :)
67898563 1E8A 4652 AF0A 080B5D27F139

P1000 - Cumminspusher-the New Ride

Reactions: MadMikeV and mjn
advertisement
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Appreciate your help @CumminsPusher. This is on my want list. Will order and throw the adapter on the lathe at work to machine that step off.
Biggest ordeal will be settling on a wheel style.

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
Before getting a quick release wheel, consult the Dale Earnhardt Jr. on how to make sure it does not come off at speed.

mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
SE Washington State/N Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Good info in this thread.. I have the DFR quick release hub & DFR wheel on my Viking. I planned on going with the same on the Pioneer. However.. if it spaces the wheel back too far, I'll look at the Accord set up. I really like my DFR wheel though..

Mine is the "shallow" model.. is that the one you tried @CumminsPusher?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Good info in this thread.. I have the DFR quick release hub & DFR wheel on my Viking. I planned on going with the same on the Pioneer. However.. if it spaces the wheel back too far, I'll look at the Accord set up. I really like my DFR wheel though..

Mine is the "shallow" model.. is that the one you tried @CumminsPusher?
It is. Might be out now but at the time I couldn’t find a small one with internal hub that bolted to steering stem. Only way to go was to bolt the release to the small hub which pushed the wheel an additional 1/2” off the paddles. I wasn’t worried so much about the release just wanted a comfortable wheel.

mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
Ownership

1. 1000-3
It is. Might be out now but at the time I couldn’t find a small one with internal hub that bolted to steering stem. Only way to go was to bolt the release to the small hub which pushed the wheel an additional 1/2” off the paddles. I wasn’t worried so much about the release just wanted a comfortable wheel.

Yea, I'm with ya. I cannot recal ever utilizing the release aspect of it. What the heck am I gonna do? Carry it with my while we hike?
I don't think so.

mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
Ownership

1. 1000-3

@CumminsPusher You said you tried the quick release kit... was it the Dragonfire racing kit? I was just looking on the DFR site (trying to remember how much I paid for the darned thing) and it LOOKS like the Viking and the Pioneer take the same kit.

My question is; The wheel I have now is the DFR "shallow" suede wheel which you said is the one you tried. It has about a 2" dish.
If I got a 350mm FLAT wheel.. do you think the paddles would be close enough to use properly?

mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I stated this in another thread, but I just found out the Pioneer takes the same DFR kit as my Viking did.. in other words, I have the kit, and the wheel.

I checked my wheel against the OE one, and they are the same diameter. We'll see if I like where it places the wheel in relation to the paddles. Hopefully I can get to that on my next day off.. we'll see.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I stated this in another thread, but I just found out the Pioneer takes the same DFR kit as my Viking did.. in other words, I have the kit, and the wheel.

I checked my wheel against the OE one, and they are the same diameter. We'll see if I like where it places the wheel in relation to the paddles. Hopefully I can get to that on my next day off.. we'll see.
Awesome news!

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!