CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I think @Lil_Steve has the SATV rear window, mine isn't installed yet so I can't help. :(

Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
The good thing is that since I didn't have the filter yet, the top part of the intake is only tacked up right now. Does the rear window fit flush wit the back of the roll cage like SuperATV pics show? If so then that's not bad. If it sticks out any they I'll need some pics and measurements from someone.

View attachment 284754

I think @Lil_Steve has the SATV rear window, mine isn't installed yet so I can't help. :(

I have the Tusk rear window, it looks like it mounts/fits very similar to the SATV one.

I found some old pics...

MVIMG 20200220 212133 XL

IMG 20200302 173058024 XL

IMG 20200315 222757734 X2

Reactions: CID
highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
I worked on this project yesterday evening, basically cutting up my almost completed prototype to make changes to accommodate a rear windshield. I did get to a complete tack up but I didn't like the angles so I had to again redo some of the tubing but ran out of time yesterday. By the weekend I should be able to finish fitting and tacking then adding a mounting bracket. This first piece is ugly with all the rework!!! But the important thing is to get it to fit, to work, and look like I want it to look. The second version will be cleaner!

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
I worked on this project yesterday evening, basically cutting up my almost completed prototype to make changes to accommodate a rear windshield. I did get to a complete tack up but I didn't like the angles so I had to again redo some of the tubing but ran out of time yesterday. By the weekend I should be able to finish fitting and tacking then adding a mounting bracket. This first piece is ugly with all the rework!!! But the important thing is to get it to fit, to work, and look like I want it to look. The second version will be cleaner!

That thin intake tubing often has a clear coating on it that needs removed before welding.

Easiest to do before cutting in the cut area and 1” back on each side.

The three most important aspects of successful welding in thin aluminum tubing.
1: tight fit up.
2: deburr inside and outside
3: clean, clean, clean

(Deburring gets rid of tiny pieces of aluminum that melt early before shielding gas completely purges the area and makes a sooty spot right where you want it to be clean)

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Don't use Roloc pads etc. to clean alum!! - stainless brushes dedicated to alum only use. My favorite is a 3" stainless wire wheel in a variable speed drill so I can control it. You can see when the oxides have been removed.

sandbaja

sandbaja

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 2, 2021
San Diego, CA
Ownership

1. Talon R LV

2. Talon X4 LV
I'm envious of those with welding knowledge and skills.

Reactions: Lil_Steve
highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
I'm envious of those with welding knowledge and skills.
Me too!! I'm a draftsman learning to weld on the most difficult material to weld, so I can make my ideas come to life! If it's critical I know real welders! I like the "figure it out part" on the mock-ups. Fitting parts is more mine thing. Drawing things and fabricating things are 2 different animals. My CAD mouse is much more cooperative than a TIG torch. I want to learn and I want to get good at fabrication because I've got many more ideas bouncing in my head waiting to come out.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Butt welding thin alum is MUCH easier if you can back it up, the tighter the fit, the better. In the case of a snorkel tube you'd need something round to fit inside, the closer to the ID of the alum tube the better - it doesn't have to be alum but it needs to be clean (no paint for instance).

A few pics of backing up, on much thicker and easier to weld material. You're also wanting mass which will help control the insanely rapid transfer of heat that alum has. Remember, the longer a bead you try to run, the hotter the alum will get, pedal down (less amps) as you go, better yet, short welds especially on thin butt welds.

Lots of clamps = lots of mass = heat sink -

The end project for the curious

Last edited:
Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
Me too!! I'm a draftsman learning to weld on the most difficult material to weld, so I can make my ideas come to life! If it's critical I know real welders! I like the "figure it out part" on the mock-ups. Fitting parts is more mine thing. Drawing things and fabricating things are 2 different animals. My CAD mouse is much more cooperative than a TIG torch. I want to learn and I want to get good at fabrication because I've got many more ideas bouncing in my head waiting to come out.

Aluminum is easy to weld compared to zinc. :)

I did a bunch of zinc bar tops for a retro restaurant and nearly committed suicide.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
I have the tubing worked out to pass through the passenger side grate. Ordered more tubing kits to build a couple of these too. Still working out the details for the replacement grate.

If you guys are still interested in a snorkel like Slowpoke's that requires cutting the fender, I think I can whip up something for that while the grate is being worked out. It would be one piece also, with added bracing under the plastic. I already have something similar to this made from a previous experiment. I have a bunch of straight tubing left over that I can join with mitered bends to make this piece. Miters should be fine and not affect airflow upstream of the air filter since it hits a turbulent wall at the air filter. Laminar flow is more important after the air filter into the intake.

Also, if there is anyone near me that would let me borrow their 4 seater for a few days to take measurements that would be awesome. The 2 seater and 4 seater rear seatbelt anchor points are different. I need to fit this tube up on a 4 seater to make a pattern for the tube anchor location.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!