P500 RainX on windshield

K

Kirkl

Jul 13, 2015
E. WA
since there is no windshield wiper has anyone used rainx on an OEM windshield to help rain bead up?

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
since there is no windshield wiper has anyone used rainx on an OEM windshield to help rain bead up?

Been waiting for the weather to warm up so I can try it. For Lexan material (marguard, hard coated), glass shop said it would work, not sure on the un-coated stuff my guess it will be fine too.

jrc

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I have been using rain X for plastic. It seems to be a little bit better than not having anything at all.

Reactions: Plumber32
Gem99Ultra

Gem99Ultra

Dec 29, 2015
Warm Springs, GA

I don't know if the P500 windshield is made of different material than motorcycle windshields... but RainX will definitely kill the plastic motorcycle windshields. As will Windex or any ammonia based solvent.

I use the aerosol spray Honda Cleaner and Polish - on everything. I've found that it also works great on cars, tractors and motorcycles with various nameplates on them! Would you believe, I've even found that stuff being sold at Harley dealers :)

Reactions: dale5740
K

Kirkl

Jul 13, 2015
E. WA
Thanks for the info. I cleaned the windshield with safe lite auto glass cleaner and it didn't do anything but it doesn't have ammonia in it. I'll have to check into that Honda cleaner

p500fan

p500fan

Lifetime Member
Mar 30, 2015
Sand Point, AK
I tried the Rain-X for plastic on my Hardcoat windshield. I really was not impressed. It doesn't work nearly as well as the regular Rain-X. I have had equal results from a HEAVY concentration of Joy dish soap in warm water. Just let it sit on there for a minute, and squeegee it clear. I do it 1-2 times per week, and keep a small squeegee in my rear bag to use as needed. It isn't too bad. However, if regular Rain-X will not harm the Hardcoat windshield, I may buy a bottle.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm glad y'all mentioned the rainex for plastic being pretty much worthless. I was about to special order some. I've got couple bottles of the regular. I'll try some in a corner on my hard coat to see how it does.

advertisement
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I used the rainx for plastic. It beads the water. For $3 I've got no complaints. Better than a sharp stick in the eye.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I used the rainx for plastic. It beads the water. For $3 I've got no complaints. Better than a sharp stick in the eye.
So it does work? Just once I'd like to find a product that everybody agrees on lol. Makes decisions really difficult lol

Reactions: Montecresto
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So it does work? Just once I'd like to find a product that everybody agrees on lol. Makes decisions really difficult lol
Yes it works where it's different than a car is speed and angle of the windshield

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes it works where it's different than a car is speed and angle of the windshield
I may still order some then. I'm gonna try the regular first since I already have it.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I may still order some then. I'm gonna try the regular first since I already have it.
DO NOT use the regular on anything but the glass one. It will be an expensive mistake!

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If your coming to the ride I'll bring some I got 2 bottles and it came with a $3 rebate so it was basically free but a bottle will last for years

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If your coming to the ride I'll bring some I got 2 bottles and it came with a $3 rebate so it was basically free but a bottle will last for years
I plan on coming but should have some by then. I appreciate the offer and thanks for the heads up

Reactions: Plumber32
K

Kirkl

Jul 13, 2015
E. WA
Thanks for the test. Guess I won't be using the real stuff.

Z

zxylene

Nov 28, 2015
Carlisle, PA
Thanks for the test. Guess I won't be using the real stuff.
I agree. I would not use the real stuff. I bought the RainX for Plastic and tested half of the windshield and sprayed some water the half with the rainx is not like the real stuff but helps slightly. I think the Honda plastic cleaner and polish does pretty well though smells like wax and puts a slight coating that seems to help. I'll still use both like I have been at least until I run out. I was really hoping to have a product that works as good as original rainx so I don't need wipers at all but I guess something is better than nothing.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!