P1000 Ran off the side of my road today and I am very impressed!

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
As I say, my roads when wet turn into ice. Was sick of doing 10 miles an hour with all the turns and twists and decided to open it up a little bit coming down the hill, about 20-25 mph.

The road curved, I did not. I turned the wheel to the left, but the momentum of the vehicle didn't follow the tires instructions. Ran straight off the road and was literally sitting on the side of an embankment. Of course it's the mountains so we are talking 45° slope I am sitting on.

First thought was to winch it out, but as I started to get out, it wanted to tip over without my weight. Not kidding. That's how much I was leaning.

Then I remembered this is not a Massimo. So I cut the wheel to the far right, put it in reverse, and with the left two wheels sticking up in the air but in diff lock, the right two wheels backed me up so I was perpendicular to the road instead of parallel.

Now because of my predicament, I am basically pointing almost straight up in the air with the front two wheels not touching much and the back two tires discussing with each other how they are going to impress me on this interview.

Put it in low and shot off the side of the embankment like a missile! As it is titled, I was impressed!

I am noticing more and more this shutter everyone is talking about at low speed take off. Should this concern me anyone??

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
As I say, my roads when wet turn into ice. Was sick of doing 10 miles an hour with all the turns and twists and decided to open it up a little bit coming down the hill, about 20-25 mph.

The road curved, I did not. I turned the wheel to the left, but the momentum of the vehicle didn't follow the tires instructions. Ran straight off the road and was literally sitting on the side of an embankment. Of course it's the mountains so we are talking 45° slope I am sitting on.

First thought was to winch it out, but as I started to get out, it wanted to tip over without my weight. Not kidding. That's how much I was leaning.

Then I remembered this is not a Massimo. So I cut the wheel to the far right, put it in reverse, and with the left two wheels sticking up in the air but in diff lock, the right two wheels backed me up so I was perpendicular to the road instead of parallel.

Now because of my predicament, I am basically pointing almost straight up in the air with the front two wheels not touching much and the back two tires discussing with each other how they are going to impress me on this interview.

Put it in low and shot off the side of the embankment like a missile! As it is titled, I was impressed!

I am noticing more and more this shutter everyone is talking about at low speed take off. Should this concern me anyone??

Sounds like that was a good time to have the camera out!

As for the shutter, try to avoid that by using more throttle when it's safe to do so.

Sent from my iPad 7G

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Sounds like that was a good time to have the camera out!

As for the shutter, try to avoid that by using more throttle when it's safe to do so.

Sent from my iPad 7G

Not having experience with other high-performance machines, the reason that I take off really slow is because of the jerk. If you give it a lot of throttle when doing a lot of stopping and starting you get this kind of "slaps into gear" that jerks forward and back.

It's not really slapping into gear, but it will throw you up against the back of your seat if you give it a throttle.

They scare my wife and so when she is with me, I do very slow start and take offs.

And again, if you could see my roads up here, you kind of understand that most of the driving at somewhat slower speeds ( 5-10 mph) and so of course you can feel that shutter big-time.

Took it out on the highway today and was amazed at the upper end performance. It's a lot more impressive to me than the lower end. Hit 60 so fast it made my head spin.

I guess my question is, is this shutter normal for Honda in general and or other UTV's? Or is this just an issue for the 1000 and if so, is it normal to get the shutter and nothing to be concerned about??

When you're driving a car or a truck with a manual transmission, I can tell you that shutter is never a good thing!

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Maybe a vid would help explain your shutter. Also,it will get smoother with time.

You should be able to replicate this as I have done in this vid. It does take practice as the throttle is touchy.

Sent from my iPad 7G

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
My stutter has gotten so much better. Also you just learn to ride. As long as your rolling faster than 5 mph it cant happen.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!